What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (8 Viewers)

this is brilliant. plenty dark and funny as fuck
GATES%20Preston%20Falls%20LARGE.jpg

It's just down to tiredness I'd say but I thought it was worth sharing...

I read the thread title as "what book did you really read last night???"

I lolled.

His later stuff is known for being obsessed with finding a workable marxism which, to be honest, is a very mid 20th century conversation that i'm not that interested in.

Oh! how blasé. And just when I was beginning to get to like you too Lili Marlene.

Joke.

(I still haven't made my way through early 20th century marxism yet tbh)

Anyhow, I just finished these two:

1388770-M.jpg

This was a really rewarding read and offers the best introduction (apart from being something in itself) to Bauman's work. In it he characterises how we've shifted from a 'solid modernity' of the welfare state to what he calls the 'liquid modernity' of neoliberalism. Basically he shows the range of impacts neo-liberalism has had on human life - endemic uncertainty, job instability, individual respionsibility as the only option in solving all social problems with a near total abscence of any universal projects or goals - where everything in our lives amounts to a series of short-term pointless tasks with no sense of any permanency. It's pretty interesting where he goes from there and he has a veyr sharp and fresh take. It's kind of depressing though.

MythOfSisyphus.jpg

I liked this a lot.

Finished Robopocalypse tonight.

Basically World War Z with robots. Good enough but at less than 400 pages really could have done with being a good bit longer. Seemed to skim over stuff, so much so that sometimes it reads almost like a treatment / screenplay for a movie than a full on novel.

Just finished.

Slaughterhouse Five - Interesting read both from a character and a historical witness perspective. First Vonnegut book I've read, started Breakfast of Champions today.

Dracula - Finished yesterday. A good read after getting over all the preconceived notions of vampires I have become accustomed to from tv, films etc. Even better when you think it was first published in 1897.

Haven't read them yet, but I found these in the Amnesty International Bookshop the other day! So excited to read them.

2rr4aw0.jpg

Went through my bookshelves yesterday and pulled out all the ones I haven't read yet. A 2 ft high pile.

Sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back