What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (3 Viewers)

Pretty much exactly how I felt about it. But I wouldn't say it has a great plot as such, more that there are great concepts and ideas there but it just runs out of steam and doesn't really go anywhere. I've read a few of his at this stage and it's the same each time. They should be great .. but they're not. I dunno .. maybe he should just come up with ideas/concepts for novels and then get someone else to actually write them.
he seems to be very highly regarded, lots of people seen to think he's the bee's knees altogether. I thought i must be missing something but i dont think so.

I gave up on Rising Up And Rising Down by william vollmann the other day. Pompous, over inflated stuff, and that was the abridged single vol edition not the 7 volume one. Its an attempt to classify which kind of situations justify violence and which dont. Name drops every thinker and philosopher since time began. Thank god this wasnt my introduction to vollmann or i would never have read Europe Central which was amazing.

I got this last week but won't get to read it til the end of next week.

retromania.jpg

I've read that other Reynolds one and thought it was gear so hoping this'll be good too.

have been reading sports biographies mostly this summer. Taking a break from those for a bit (2 more lined up to read though). Reading this now;

Tinkers_main_1695519f.jpg

don't know what to make of it really. Beautifully written by in large but I'm a third of the ways through and I can't see where its going. Hard enough to follow at times too. Its short though so I'll persist.

this was actually quite good. Its gets my blessing for whatever thats worth

We got a stash of those Martin books in to the library at work, the covers are shite and thats enough for me. What did you make of Frankenstein Unbound?

I've started Swann's Way by Proust. Im only on page 40 so far, been reading it since monday. By page 7 he had woken up and since then he hasn't stirred in the bed

We got a stash of those Martin books in to the library at worse, the covers are shite and thats enough for me. What did you make of Frankenstein Unbound?

I've started Swann's Way by Proust. Im only on page 40 so far, been reading it since monday. By page 7 he had woken up and since then he hasn't stirred in the bed

I made it about half-way through that. I loved bits of it. Wasn't mad about other bits of it. But hadn't a clue what was going on in any of it.

We got a stash of those Martin books in to the library at worse, the covers are shite and thats enough for me. What did you make of Frankenstein Unbound?
really liked it, although i was expecting the tone to be a lot lighter. some great ideas and the monster was brilliant. what else would you recommend by aldiss?

the song of ice and fire books are fantastic. brilliantly realised and totally gripping

really liked it, although i was expecting the tone to be a lot lighter. some great ideas and the monster was brilliant. what else would you recommend by aldiss?

I thought it was a bit of a comedy, although a darkish sort of a one. I loved the bit where the monster came out of the tower and started giving out about something, i forget what it was now. And the bit at the end where someone in the car went driving across the desert or the tundra or something.

The Malacia Tapestry is superb, and Brothers of the Head (Barefoot in the Head is not so great, its a bit head wrecking actually and almost impossible to read). The original illustrated edition of Brothers of the Head is nice. I got it for 70c on ebay (but had to pay $33 shipping - poxy canadian postal costs). The Squire series is great too, its not sci-fi. His short stories can be hit and miss but some of them are amazing

the song of ice and fire books are fantastic. brilliantly realised and totally gripping

Hmmm. I might try one some time.

I thought it was a bit of a comedy, although a darkish sort of a one. I loved the bit where the monster came out of the tower and started giving out about something, i forget what it was now. And the bit at the end where someone in the car went driving across the desert or the tundra or something.

The Malacia Tapestry is superb, and Brothers of the Head (Barefoot in the Head is not so great, its a bit head wrecking actually and almost impossible to read). The original illustrated edition of Brothers of the Head is nice. I got it for 70c on ebay (but had to pay $33 shipping - poxy canadian postal costs). The Squire series is great too, its not sci-fi. His short stories can be hit and miss but some of them are amazing

Hmmm. I might try one some time.

it's definitely funny but i was expecting a bawdy sci-fi comedy and nothing as dark as that. i think i based this on the fact that i thought Brothers of the Head was a sex film, not having seen it. have you seen the film adaptation of Frankenstein Unbound? it's all over the place

will probably try read brothers of the head next

No, I havent seen it, not sure I want to see Frankenstein Unbound or brothers of the head. That one is definitely not a sex book, the horatio stubs saga is. Jill Hives; (is that her name now?) said they left out all the most interesting bits from the Brothers film.

Sounds like you're damning it with faint praise my man!

Ah no, not really! I like it. I think the problem initially was that a neighbour's alarm was going off 24-7 (for about 3 days!) when I first started it. I was in an irritated mood reading it! But its really well written and I'm getting by much better now.

I didn't read the entire book, but I started "World War Z" last night due to the amount of friends recommending it to me. I have high hopes.

Midway through Let The Great World Spin by Colum McCann. It's grand. Can see it being made into a movie, along the lines of In America.

View attachment 7119

OK, talk about a grower! - this turned into the best book I have read in a very long time. Incredible. Faint praise be damned! Going to dig into the back catalogue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back