What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (2 Viewers)

and continuing on the Hartnett trend i'm about halfway through

@Jill Hives you'd like the misery of this one, just been through a pretty harsh but strangely beautiful* breakup/break apart scene

*beautiful in the same way a lion tearing out the lungs of an antelope is beautiful

Sold. I'll hunt it down. How I heart misery and dogs. *

*Yeah, I googled it.

I'm reading

Un+Lun+Dun+UK.jpg

so far (not very far) I like it a lot!

I look forward to your crushing disappointment

just finished it now. It has some pretty complex metaphors going throughout. While it thankfully has a bite to it the whole thing moves in a dreamlike fashion that I believe could be considered magic realism.

So if you're a SERIOUS person who only likes SERIOUS REALISTIC FICTION and SERIOUS CUTTING HUMOUR with EFFECTIVE THEMES THAT CAN BE APPLIED IN AN IMPORTANT WAY it is not for you. I personally think it was grounded enough not to come across as cloying or the kind of 'modern day fairytale' horrendous chick lit that sells so well. It did get a bit overly-sentimental at the end, but sure that's old people for you.

The Midnight Zoo was better.

Continuing in the vein of counteracting my college reading with children's lit

search.php

And while googling found that 'Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing' has had some awful covers. I remember watching the TV show version, too, when I was a kid

Haven't, embarrassingly hadn't even heard of em till a friend posted me this book, but judging on how much I enjoyed Un Lun Dun, I'd say its a safe rec

slaughterhouse-5.jpg

Enjoyable
I can't say I agree with all of the Vonnegut worship based on this though.
There is something bland about it - he spends so long building up to the bombing of Dresden his actual description of it doesn't live up to the books own hype.

been hearing a lot about this guy. was recommended The City and The City. might give it a shot. have you read it?

I have and I think I posted about it before. In summary, like the other one I have read of his, great premise but falls apart a bit in the execution. I think he has great ideas but is not great at sustaining a plot.

Finished High Fidelity a few days ago. Loved it, the ending was a bit... meh though.

I can see myself turning into him in the future, gulp.

Mayor_Of_Casterbridge.jpg

I'm about halfway through this. Its a good old read. Tends towards being a little bit of a soap-opera at times, but not to the extent, say, that Jane Austen's book reaches. Anyhow, good fun and beautifully written.

finished this. Its good enough I suppose. Not entirely my cup of tea but grand. If it wasn't an old book and of its time I'm not sure I'd have bothered. That sounds stupid but the 'of its time' part adds quite a lot of charm that makes one not mind the soap opera element (well it does for me).

Next up, for the sheer hell of it (and since none of the rest of you are going to bother);

51tj0nWnHkL._SL500_AA300__2_.jpg

They were talking about this on the radio the other night.
They really liked it.

I heard a review on Arena the other week where they were talking it up as 10 out of 10 stuff. I didn't get the impression that they were the most unbiased views ever though. Big Kristin Hersh fans like Kristin Hersh book. Still, it was listening to those reviews that made me want to go out and read it.

And I don't even know/like Kristin Hersh music (though I trust I will if I ever get around to listening to any)

you know when you meet a girl and decide you want to make sure shes a good person and worthy of your affections before you commit to going out with her (and invariably miss out because she's met someone else in the meantime)

well thats how I feel about Kristen Hersh. This book will determine whether I shall cop on or not. But thanks for that anyway.

41EMF4ZDEBL.jpg

Just finished reading "In the Heart of the Country" and it blew my mind. Never read any Coetzee aside from "Disgrace" before this but I swear, I just want to bury myself inside his writing its so beautiful and amazing and stunning and hilarious and grotesque. I think I laughed too much to be appropriate for this book, but sometimes you just had to! Kind of re-ignited by reading horn which I had feared was slipping away from me while I was being forcefed Cixous.

I wish I'd been able to find the cover of the book I actually have because it's absolutely amazing, as covers go. Especially compared to the utterly uninspiring lump of a cover, above. I'm a bit obsessive about the variety of covers on novel can have, and this one took the biscuit, but it seems to evade google images.

Also read "Mr. Potter" by Jamaica Kincaid this weekend and hated it so much. I hate Jamaica Kincaid. I think... I respect what she does, and she makes it glaringly obvious what she does, too with the constant repetition and stuff, and I know your supposed to feel ruptured and confronted by her lack of desire - or failure? - to actually tell a story, and in many ways I'm attracted to that premise, but truely, a book has to be enjoyable too for me to want to read it! I mean despite loving the academic in literature, its mostly about pleasure for me and there is none to be had here. Well, no, that's wrong because there were really promising bits, but ugh, bits!

9780099445135.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back