What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (6 Viewers)

all great great. suttree lots of toilet humour and swearing which is a bit odd in a cormac mccarthy novel. it also has some beautiful passages. twilight is hilarious and grotesque in equal measures and the glass rainbow is another great addition to the dave robicheaux series

51T9G4RCZML.jpg

im gonna judge that by its cover and say it looks great.ill also try find it after christmas and give it a read.

Just finished Steve Toltz - A Fraction of the Whole, which I think was recommended on here about 30 or 40 pages back. Bit of a sprawling mess of a book but compelling and quite funny most of the the way through.. Kind of a larger-than-life whackiness to it and it felt like the characters were mostly just vehicles for the mass of odd little ideas, theories and observations that he wanted to get across but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Just finished Steve Toltz - A Fraction of the Whole, which I think was recommended on here about 30 or 40 pages back. Bit of a sprawling mess of a book but compelling and quite funny most of the the way through.. Kind of a larger-than-life whackiness to it and it felt like the characters were mostly just vehicles for the mass of odd little ideas, theories and observations that he wanted to get across but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I still have this book waiting for me along with about six others. I've been slacking lately so I was hoping to get through some this week. I say this as I'm sitting on the couch with a bottle of wine watching crap movies. I should really turn off the TV.

I still have this book waiting for me along with about six others. I've been slacking lately so I was hoping to get through some this week. I say this as I'm sitting on the couch with a bottle of wine watching crap movies. I should really turn off the TV.

yea, its good. I reckon it'd have made for a far better book if he stopped writing it about half-way through.

when you read it I reckon you'll see what I mean. Just goes on that bit too long and the plot tends towards the ridiculous at times. You get a sort of sense of scraping the barrel to prolong the plot and thats never good.

yea, its good. I reckon it'd have made for a far better book if he stopped writing it about half-way through.

when you read it I reckon you'll see what I mean. Just goes on that bit too long and the plot tends towards the ridiculous at times. You get a sort of sense of scraping the barrel to prolong the plot and thats never good.

This is true, it's several chapters too long and the implausibility of the plot might make it a bit corny for some, but it's a light enough read despite being over 700 pages.. Would like to see how he'd get on with a bit more focus and tighter editing.

The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman

I wasn't mad about this. It reads like it was written with a lump hammer. It is very short though, so that is in its favour.

The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman

I wasn't mad about this. It reads like it was written with a lump hammer. It is very short though, so that is in its favour.

1/3 way thru this - definitely not a short one...
33767523.jpg

a pretty dense load of information- but compelling stuff all the same.
the medieval popes were all about blinding one another and putting corpses of their pre-decessors on trial it would appear.
if one was uncertain about the fact that the catholic church's authority on any moral matter was a load of pants, this book would put you right!

finally finished

2666libro.jpg

difficult to know what to say about it without saying something that could be construed as a spoiler. Overall its a good, worthwhile read. Just, at times its difficult to see the point. Some parts are quite trying and require patience to complete. Other parts are simply splended - among some of best writing/storytelling I've ever read.

Enough Bolano for now. I'm reading something a little less taxing on the brain. This;

Sunset%2BPark%252C%2BPaul%2BAuster.jpg

It'll be nice to complete a book in days rather than in weeks (as per Bolano).

Incidentally, theres a worthwhile looking sale on in Hodges Figgis. Picked up the New York Trilogy by Auster for a fiver.

Started that yesterday. So far so Auster. Solid and dependable. New York Trilogy is great, but has been know to drive people demented.

I like Hodges Figgis but am suckered into the Waterstones loyalty card scheme. €6.50 discount yesterday!

This;
Sunset%2BPark%252C%2BPaul%2BAuster.jpg

It'll be nice to complete a book in days rather than in weeks (as per Bolano).

Incidentally, theres a worthwhile looking sale on in Hodges Figgis. Picked up the New York Trilogy by Auster for a fiver.

Rereading all of my Gaiman books to distract me from writing essays; starting with my favourite, 'American Gods'. Sigh.

Started that yesterday. So far so Auster. Solid and dependable.

my thoughts exactly on Auster. Its a predictable enough formula but he does it so well at this stage that I reckon hes going to become somewhat of a safe haven for me. Rather than read Auster book after Auster book, I reckon I'll read him following reading some other book that was difficult and exhausting.

I'm going to read the Neil Jordan book after him. I'm cynical as hell about it but I'll give it a go.

Agreed on Waterstones by the way. I went there first looking for another book. They didn't have it so I popped across the road into HF and noticed the sale. But Waterstones is definitely my favourite of those 2.

New York Trilogy is great, but has been know to drive people demented.

Really? I found it innocuous enough, even slightly tepid.

My favourite of his is The Music Of Chance and I read that a decade ago so I can't even vouch for any opinion I may have had on it.

Currently reading Robert Walser's The Assistant which is surprisingly tedious and outdated. Padded out by the blandest observations. Nauseating tone. Perhaps it's the translation but I'm just gagging to be finished with it so I can move on to John Cheever's Falconer or Graham Greene's The Power & the Glory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back