What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (8 Viewers)

tumblr_l74pjg8HrW1qc4pes.jpg

Just started this, delightful so far.

Was also thinking of trying some John Green, anyone read this?
alaska.jpg

I think young adult is all I can manage with my workload. 10,000 words over Christmas *wimper*

I have to get back into reading for pleasure. Its so bleak.

I'm hoping to get some pleasure out of this....but it might be tough work too...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I read Adrian Mole & The Weapons of Mass Destruction by Sue Townsend over the weekend. Very enjoyable. I havent read an Adrian Mole for years and I think theres at least one earlier one that I missed. This time his son is fighting in iraq, he has a totally shite girlfriend, gets into major debt trouble, works in a bookshop and stuff.

I'm rereading a book by A.C. Grayling about Wittgenstein at the moment as preparation for reading the Philosophical Investigations next. Hopefully that will be out of the way by christmas. I think I will treat myself to a long novel for the holidays. Im thinking of 2666 by Bolano or else Central Europe by William Vollmann which someone here (Bernie Lomax i think) said was good. Any suggestions? Is the Savage Detectives a road book? I don't know if I'd be into that.

I'm about halfway through 2666 and I love it. I loved the Savage Detectives too. Of the 2, seeing as you said 'road book', it'd be 2666 I'd recommend (based on what I've read of it thus far). Its an easier read, easier to follow, and is consistently interesting (which is some feat for a book that chunky). I've been lost approximately once in it (towards the end of section 2, but it came together (ish) again eventually).

With The Savage Detectives, on the other hand, you're always battling against the narrative style. You'll be halfway through a passage before you get your head around who exactly it is that wrote that part. Its an excellent book and is well worth reading but requires that bit more effort to get through.

And I wouldn't be minding that wikipedia stuff. Sure loads of people pretended they've fought in wars and took heroin when they didn't. It'll come out in wikileaks eventually

I'd recommend that book for sure. If you read Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (if not, definitely read it) and liked it you'd be interested in the subject matter.

It is a translation however, and though I've lightened up about translations (due to him and Bolano), something still doesn't sit right with me about reading someone else's interpretation of the author's words.

tumblr_l74pjg8HrW1qc4pes.jpg

Just started this, delightful so far.

I've read two of his at this stage - Kraken and The City and The City. I felt exactly the same about both. Great ideas, fascinating for the first 100 pages or so, and then it's like he doesn't really know where to go with the story. They fizzle out.

51T9G4RCZML.jpg

I'm about a third of the way through this and it's fuckin' great.
If it carries on like this it'll end up being one of my favourite novels EVAR. I should have read it years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back