What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (3 Viewers)

it's as part of a swap arrangement with my brother (he got the "the third policeman" by flann o'brien from me) so it's his revenge. if he's good enough to read what i've given him and watch movie's i give him, i'm returning the favour

sorry, are you reading Emma by choice?I don't think I want to speak to you anymore.That was my (first) leaving cert English book. I still have nightmares about it. I dunno what the obsession was with the olden day chick lit being put on the leaving cert every year (Wuthering Heights was on it the year I repeated)

STFU_and_GTFO.jpg

I concur heartily with the enthusiasm for The Savage Detectives.

Anyway I'm reading Rabbit Redux by John Updike. I read Rabbit Run for the second time two months ago and such blissful intoxication imbibed I never, despite perhaps a few slight problems with his handling of certain characters. This is the sequel - Harry Angstrom is back, ten years later. So far, I'm loving it. I think he's tightened it up a bit, while retaining most of his dense, inebriating beauty. Sentences that make you want to do a little dance abound.

Also, 3/4 the way through Me And You And Memento And Fargo by J.J Murphy. He takes twelve unique American indies that he feels have had a considerable amount of impact on the film-making landscapes and breaks down the scripts. Academic enough, but at least Murphy doesn't try and fondle any connecting "mythos". The chapter on Gus Van Sant's Elephant is brill.

Also, Stewart Lee's The Life and Deaths of a Stand-up Comedian. Quite enjoyable this - works his way through his career. He is upfront and hilarious about his bitterness. Also it operates as a good skewed history of left of field stand-up.

514zQmAf0ZL._SS500_.jpg

Junkies are boring....who'd have guessed!

(Actually it's not that bad, it's a collection of first person accounts of people in and around the drug trade in northen Mexico, southern US. However at the moment I'm trawling through the accounts of El Paso and Austin based street level dealers...which is tedious. The authors own overall analysis of the situation from the first chapters before the narrative stuff begins is very interesting)

volcano.jpg

I wish my edition looked like that, I have the penguin classics version. Less cool. Only a few pages in, seems interesting, though I'm not sure I have the will or energy to finish it by Monday

Just finished Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Amazing book. I've picked it up at least two times over the last few years and just not took to it but this time it clicked. So many memorable scenes. Curious to see what the film will be like but I don't hold Ridley Scott in much regard so suspect it will be garbage.

41V9B9MNMML.jpg

the second Roth book I've had a go at (the human stain). About one-third through it. Thought it good enough to start with but now, in one of those lengthy retrospective passages, hes kind of lost me and I just want the book to be over. Maybe it'll pick up. I hope it does. But at the moment I'm not liking it much.

finished this last night (took ages longer than a book that long should have).

this is a classic case of an author coming up with an excellent idea for a book and then doing his best to utterly destroy the story by repeated procrastination and digression. Its trying but curiously rewarding. Still, I think I'm done with Roth for now.

Just finished Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Amazing book. I've picked it up at least two times over the last few years and just not took to it but this time it clicked. So many memorable scenes. Curious to see what the film will be like but I don't hold Ridley Scott in much regard so suspect it will be garbage.

Fantastic book that!

I wanna read The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
Last book I read was The Dice Man, I thouht it dragged on a bit. I tried letting a dice decide my day one time, but I got bored. I'd love to try it again though, you'd get into all sorts of funky situations.

I wanna read The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
Last book I read was The Dice Man, I thouht it dragged on a bit. I tried letting a dice decide my day one time, but I got bored. I'd love to try it again though, you'd get into all sorts of funky situations.

Fake account or really young? I'm thinking the former and it could be entertaining. Carry on.

read this on me hollydays

fallen-angel-the-passion-of-fausto-coppi.jpg

also made some inroads to 2666 by Roberto Bolano. Started day before yesterday and am about a quarter ways through it. Its fantastic so far. Shaping up to be one of the best things I've ever read.

In The Twinkling Of An Eye : My Life As An Englishman, this is the autobiography of Brian Aldiss. An excellent read, he writes beautifully about his childhood, boarding school, WW2 in burma, writing sci-fi novels, various authors he has met, depression, his wives and kids and so on and so forth. Its not really chronological and skips all over the place. It reads a bit like one of his better novels.

1776007.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back