What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (3 Viewers)

1938784_com_owlkillers.jpg

finished this tuesday,enjoyed it a lot,now im starting on homer and langley which has started off well,looks like its gonna be a cracker.

finished

51yAUJq8i4L._SS500_.jpg

enjoyable enough. The chapter he wrote for the second edition was the best part I thought. Not at all as shocking as I'd expected (though I'm into cycling and have a fair idea of what goes on).

Almost finished this;

AtlasShruggedBK.jpg

a year after starting it. Mad Men fans might be familiar with it from the references to it in the first series of the show. An excellent (but heavy going) read, even if the ideas espoused are utter right wing nonsense.

Also reading this at the moment;

0385343612.01.LZZZZZZZ.JPG

I have no idea why. Its not the type of thing I normally go for but I was curious about it from a review I'd read in the Sunday Times. Its fine. The story is interesting enough. Its a very easy read and I'm breezing my way through it.

Next up I reckon will be George Orwell's 'Down and Out in London and Paris'.

Almost finished this;

AtlasShruggedBK.jpg

a year after starting it. Mad Men fans might be familiar with it from the references to it in the first series of the show. An excellent (but heavy going) read, even if the ideas espoused are utter right wing nonsense.

I've always wanted to read this, especially as everything the woman seems to stand for drives me into a white hot rage and makes me want to blow things up. Her ideas have been a cancer on American public life. (funny how most Europeans have never even heard of the crazy bitch).

I'm terrified someone would catch me reading it.

I've always wanted to read this, especially as everything the woman seems to stand for drives me into a white hot rage and makes me want to blow things up. Her ideas have been a cancer on American public life. (funny how most Europeans have never even heard of the crazy bitch).

I'm terrified someone would catch me reading it.

its quite hilarious in how 'out-there' the notions she puts forward are. It will vindicate your own views, both in general, and of her.

but you are right, there is an element of 'Mein Kampf'. It will stir the curiosity enough to perhaps read it, but for jaysus sake don't let anyone catch you with it! (though might not be a problem here due to, as you mentioned, no one this side of the world having heard of it). Read it, if only, for being an 'informed' Rand hater, rather than a relatively 'uninformed' one. And don't worry, it won't brainwash you - but it does explain quite well how and why Americans (I generalise) are as crazy, mad and nuts as they are. Thanks to this fucking trollop and others who preach the same bollox.

n284403.jpg

due to a lingering head cold and not being able to do anything that involves leaving the house, I read half of this book this weekend.

It took a little while to win me over. Just some little things bugged me, like referring to a 'mall' (the book is set in Dublin). I feared that he'd forego colloquialisms to dumb it down for a british or american audience, but those misgivings were short lived. I reckon the harshest critic of a book like this might be someone (possibly male) who was once 14 and who came up through the Irish education system. I tick those boxes and I have to say I approve whole-heartedly. Its become kind of un-putdown-able, which is uncommon enough with books these times.

I'm very ill too, can't quite bring myself to get out of bed. Everything hurts.

I've started reading 'The Good Soldier' for class.

56-1.jpg

Its okay, intruiging I suppose, and the writing is quite beautiful though not really the kind of thing I like to read.

I'm about half way through it myself and really enjoying it too. It took me about two chapters to get into the swing of it. Very amusing.

n284403.jpg

due to a lingering head cold and not being able to do anything that involves leaving the house, I read half of this book this weekend.

It took a little while to win me over. Just some little things bugged me, like referring to a 'mall' (the book is set in Dublin). I feared that he'd forego colloquialisms to dumb it down for a british or american audience, but those misgivings were short lived. I reckon the harshest critic of a book like this might be someone (possibly male) who was once 14 and who came up through the Irish education system. I tick those boxes and I have to say I approve whole-heartedly. Its become kind of un-putdown-able, which is uncommon enough with books these times.

the-blue-moment-cover.jpg

I know absolutely nothing about Jazz in general and Miles Davis in particular
But I am enjoying this
He has a very elegant prose style.

you_are_not_a_gadget.large.jpg

I'm not sure about this yet.
Some of it is the kind of philosobabble that irritates/baffles me
But he does have some interesting things to say about digital culture and the general "everything must be free" and "technology will make everything better" groupthink.
I don't agree with everything but at least unline Andrew Keen he seems to know what he is talking about and isn't just a Internet=LeaveBrittneyAlone bullshitter.

For a few reasons and despite better judgment, I picked up this book. I'm sure many would find it boring and self-indulgent but I, much to my surprise, actually enjoyed it. I found it very relaxing and slightly comforting. Of course now I'm going to have to see the crappy click flick they made of it. Perhaps I'll do that today after work.

eat-pray-love
eat-pray-love
Eat-Pray-Love.jpg

You need to stop working saturdays. What is that book? I've never heard of it.

or google apparently.

Just give me a link already, my only experience with Rathmines and Rathgar has been in monopoly

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back