What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (10 Viewers)

Reading it all in one go.... almost

Its deadly

8399_jpg_280x450_q85.jpg

that's just reminded me I really need to pick that book up :) he's getting so many good reviews!

On the that note. What's the word for someone who has read all the books ever written? Obviously there hasn't been one of those since the 15th century or so a the latest but there is an actual word for it.
Can't think of one, a Babelonian would sound cool (tower of Babel and all).

On the that note. What's the word for someone who has read all the books ever written? Obviously there hasn't been one of those since the 15th century or so a the latest but there is an actual word for it.

"John Milton" ?

I'm working my way through the Granta book of american short stories at the moment. With a young baby my reading is restricted to the DART so short stories suit me. Bets ones so far are by Eudora Welty, John Cheever and Flannery O'Brien.

Just started it. There were 42 known attempts to kill the fucker, Tom Cruise almost got him.

There a documentary on UTube

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD4fdWb5nTQ"]YouTube - (1/5) Killing Hitler[/ame]

regarding "atomised"...

Really??? I thought it wasn't much above brutal on the scale of bad books tbh. But then again, sure what do I know!

I hated it, it made me furious :D sorry Crucio!

...it's one of those things i thought i was relatively alone in disliking. hugely over-rated and contrived. also contains some rather glaring factual errors regarding some of the topics cited in it.

Just finished the Beach by Alex Garland. Would recommend.

aye, that's an enjoyable read... i remember reading it when it first came out and thinking it would have made a great film. then when i saw the film, i nearly got sick into my own scorn. don't let that stinking heap of celluloid muck put anyone off reading the book : to say the movie made some serious alterations to the original plot is an understatement, it's more like a really nasty piss take of the original work. having preconceptions about the book based on the movie would be like considering the film adaptations of "the league of extraordiary gentleman" and "from hell" to adequately reflect alan moore's original novels.

a book which i have read - for the second time - recently:

derren brown : tricks of the mind.

a truely fantastic work which i recommend even to those who aren't a fan of brown's tv entertainment (and to those i say : watch "the heist"). his memory exercises outlined in this book are astonishingly effective, and this is coming from someone who has trouble remembering what day it is on a fairly consistent basis.

as someone who has been studying and practicing NLP and Ericksonian hypnosis for quite a while now, brown's criticisms of the area were a breath of fresh air after having to put up with the egocentric, arrogant and occassionally downright barmy claims of evangelical NLP enthusiasts (while brown doesn't discuss "magick" [ with a "k"] the similarities between it and NLP are notable - not least both as the science and art of causing change to occur in conformity with the wil or simply as means of communicating through non-obvious means - but because of the tendancy to attract the inadequate, the credulous, the egotistical and the insane). that said, much of it certainly does work very effectly, in particular the work with sub-modalities, as brown explains the phobia cure and "swish" pattern methods of NLP.

an aside : quite a few people seem to be under the impression that brown does NLP constantly in his work. one should bear in mind that often the hypnotic techniques and NLP methods are used to dress up tricks (or "effects" as illusionists call them) which are actually quite conventional in practice. likewise, often his seeming explainations in his shows are there to function as red herrings and dress up the "effect" in even more mystique. it is interesting, though, that the NLP or Ericksonian techniques which he most consistently uses are NOT mentioned in this book : anchoring and pattern interruption. the former is covered in his magicians-only book "pure effect" and was the basis of how "the heist" worked. pattern interrupts - such as the classic handshake induction confusion technique - he hasn't mentioned though it does play a part in many of his pieces.

brown's best work in this is in his explaination of confirmation bias, circular belief systems, and other cognative illusions which allow him to launch into the best criticism of the alternative health and psychic industries, both which make much of their money from the desperately ill or desperately unhappy respectively. his thoughts on these subjects are agreeable, important and explained perfectly.

finally, his indulgence in word-play, amusing allegory, self-parodying arrogance, and self-depreciating wit makes this an absolute irresistible read, and one which i have returned to a number of times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back