What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (4 Viewers)

i finished "catcher in the rye" by jd salinger yesterday. it was ok but i didn't think it was very spectacular read
I've been meaning to re-read it, I was very underwhelmed the first time.

I much preferred Franny and Zooey.

Reading the Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. Hundred odd pages in and it's great do far.
Finished that a while ago, really liked it even though it wouldn't be a type of book i'd normally read.

is it really that good, i need a series to become obsessed with but was told its more sifi then fantasy.

It's amazing. Not a series though, just two books or one book if you get the volume containing both.
There's very little that's sci-fi about, it's a total fantasy world. The style it's done in though is very different from the majority of fantasy, as with all of Gene Wolfe's stuff really.

When I think about it, it occurs to me that maybe you are thinking of the Book of the New Sun series? Because that very much toes the line between fantasy and sci-fi and is also a proper series of books as well.
Anyway they're both brilliant, I prefer the Wizard Knight though for the pure joy of reading it, it's beautifully written.

It's amazing. Not a series though, just two books or one book if you get the volume containing both.
There's very little that's sci-fi about, it's a total fantasy world. The style it's done in though is very different from the majority of fantasy, as with all of Gene Wolfe's stuff really.

When I think about it, it occurs to me that maybe you are thinking of the Book of the New Sun series? Because that very much toes the line between fantasy and sci-fi and is also a proper series of books as well.
Anyway they're both brilliant, I prefer the Wizard Knight though for the pure joy of reading it, it's beautifully written.
Thanks, I was going to give fantasy a rest for a while after struggling to finish George R. R. Martin's feast for crows (it was good enough just not very absorbing) but this sounds too good to resist, I'll pick it up today so.

i think i also preferred the wizard knight as book three of the new sun was a bit of a drag, still it had something a bit more of that magical je ne sais quai about it and i somehow i didnt see what happened at the end coming at all. there are some stunning passages in the wizard knight and i loved the talking cat and dog and the telepathic horse

Just finished the Mill on the Floss by George Eliot. As i mentioned in another thread, I thought I'd try it out after hearing that she was like Thomas Hardy. The book was pretty lukewarm and drawn out. A disappointing 5/10 for George.

I so want to read this, hurry up and come out in small size paperback dammit!
quote]

Its out now. Really enjoying it. Wish I had a bit of Spanish though. Somebody in there almost said "Yo La Tengo" at one point, which was nice..:)

started this yesterday. Only 20 pages in and I'm already hooked!

book140.jpg

Roosevelt is defeated and a fascist Lindbergh becomes president.
Its not bad, starts off well but is a bit rushed and cobbled together towards the end.

Follows a young married couple surrounded by people that seem happier, more talented etc then them.
Beautifuly written, bleak at times but very funny.

Just started this today, enjoying it so far.
Its on sale in HMV for 4euro :)

Read a couple of hundred pages of the road today.

Bleak.

Finished this today, I was talking to someone about it last night and she said that I'd either find the ending to be hugely uplifting or a continuation of the unrelenting bleakness that goes through the whole book.

I'm in the latter camp. Were it not for the brilliance of the prose it'd have been very difficult to get through.

Finished this today, I was talking to someone about it last night and she said that I'd either find the ending to be hugely uplifting or a continuation of the unrelenting bleakness that goes through the whole book.

I'm in the latter camp. Were it not for the brilliance of the prose it'd have been very difficult to get through.

definitely the latter camp. That book is unbelievably dark and bleak. Probably not rainy day reading as it could send you over the edge.

Some of the bleakness is ott. I would have thought there would at least be some sort of life other than a few people (e.g. insects). The ending is a bit implausible, imho. Like you say, it's really well written.

Live%20From%20New%20York.jpg

Am about halfway through. It's deadly. It's all done with like little snippets of interviews, rather than a full on narrative. Am really dug into it. Plus I think I'm developing a big crush on Dan Akroyd cos everyone just seems to talk about how lovely he is.

former for me. was welling up at the end. just beautiful

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back