What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (1 Viewer)

Cormcolash

Website
geocities.com

Denny Oubidoux

Hangin round town
Supporter
Solutions
Putin by Philip Short.
I picked this up in the airport recently, it was either this or Sinead O'Connor's autobiography. It's very good, very interesting and easy to read with lots of background and context about the USSR, it's collapse, the post-collapse period and Putin's path to presidency.

magicbastarder

Supporter
Website
stroma.org
Not sure if this is specifically about written sci Fi (would appear to be by the description), but starts at 11pm on bbc4 tonight.

turns out it's not, it's reasonably old. mildly diverting without a huge amount of insight, based on the little i've watched so far, but did have this nugget; gene roddenberry apparently told william shatner that star trek was 'horatio hornblower in space', and lo and behold:

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
I finished out 2 books that I started during the summer but parked.

Billy Summers by Stephen King. Its ok. A good story that could have been told in 200 pages but he told it in 500. Its grand like but I got lost more times while reading it cos of all the tangents he went off on.

Pete Paphides memoir. This was great to start with. Photographic memory of the music he was discovering at different times in his life, along with what he was doing at the time. But again, its long, and lots of the same thing. A lot of his was about his relationship with his dad, who died a couple of months ago, while I was reading the book, which was odd, but anyway. Its easy going, so ideal holiday or bus reading.

David Kronenbourg

Solutions
The Green Man by Kingsley Amis. Folky horror ghost story about a innkeeper in Cambridge dealing with pagan spirits in his pub. Very good. There’s a very late 60s subplot about the randy innkeeper trying to arrange a threesome with his wife and mistress, only for them to get it on and leave him out in the cold. Funny

Users who are viewing this thread

21 Day Calendar

The Residents
The Button Factory
Curved St, Temple Bar, Dublin, Ireland

Latest Activity

Loading…

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads