What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (10 Viewers)

If you can't get into town, or locate a book, I would really recommend Kennys Bookshop in Galway

http://www.bookshop.kennys.ie/

Good range, very competitive prices, free post, fast reliable service.

I just ordered a book a few days ago, and it was delivered from the States. Arrived today. Perfect. Will be reading it next.

Steampunk - an anthology of fantastically rich and strange stories...

1229831_10202213670130201_256031895_n.jpg

Just bought Infinite Jest and instantly regretted it. I'll never get through the thing. Recently finished All the Pretty Horses, very good and am skimming through a book on the Wrecking Crew.

William Friedkin's memoirs are excellent. I've just reached The Exorcist. Nothing salacious in the book so sleaze hounds would be better off looking elsewhere. It's mostly a fascinating account of the filmmaking process of a director with no formal training who directed on instinct and was the bane of cunty, meddling studio execs throughout his career.

In my queue from suggestions on here (I just jot them down and have no idea what they are about) -- which should I start next? Opinions?
Also, I have a few credits for more books so anything recent you've read that you think is wonderful, mention it, and I'll buy it. I'll be flying through these in the next coming weeks.

Angles & Jesus's Son by Denis Johnson
Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
The Awakening by Kate Chopin
The People's Act of Love by James Meek
Stoner by John Williams

The only one I've read there is Stoner. It's great though. @Jim Daniels did you finish it in the end?

My reading list keeps going up rather than down :(

In my queue from suggestions on here (I just jot them down and have no idea what they are about) -- which should I start next? Opinions?
Also, I have a few credits for more books so anything recent you've read that you think is wonderful, mention it, and I'll buy it. I'll be flying through these in the next coming weeks.

Angles & Jesus's Son by Denis Johnson
Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
The Awakening by Kate Chopin
The People's Act of Love by James Meek
Stoner by John Williams
You'll breeze through the Denis Johnson books in a few days but they'll stick with you. The People's Act of Love is deadly!

HHhH by Laurent Binet. It's about the attempted assassination of one of Nazi official Reinhard Heydrich, one of the key figures in the Holocaust. Interesting take on the historical novel. Binet intercuts the story of Heydrich's life and career with passages relating to the dilemma of inventing scenes featuring real life people.
hhhh-laurent-binet.jpg

The only one I've read there is Stoner. It's great though. @Jim Daniels did you finish it in the end?

My reading list keeps going up rather than down :(

Yeah, I liked it - but it left me feeling quite sad, and not necessarily good sad. More of a what have I done with my life sad. That said, its beautifully written and there's something real about it.

@Jill Hives -The Art of Fielding is great too, as far as I remember. A nice easy comfortable read - engaging and enjoyable.

I've just started The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe. Possibly the oldest novel I have ever read. Published in 1787. The writing is exemplary.

event_183039952.jpeg

Those dover thrift editions are dreadful though aren't they? I don't think i've ever enjoyed reading anything in them.

anyway i read this

51mTQEUA2TL._SY300_.jpg

which was good. Very sombre reading but sure a book about France released in 1945 was never going to be exactly cheerful.

It jumps between first and third person constantly and without warning and keeps on hovering at the point of incomprehensibility. The fact that it never quite reaches it is impressive. There's a huge amount of philosophy in it and it comes at the expense of the characters who tend to just drop in in order to play a paper-thin role and prop up whatever philosophical argument everyone is having about the war.

Last edited:
Those dover thrift editions are dreadful though aren't they? I don't think i've ever enjoyed reading anything in them.

I actually don't have the Dover edition - that was just the first Google Image that came up. But I have become particular about editions I buy though and am happy to pay extra for a decent cover/ font/ page size etc.

My 'Werther is an Alma Classic and is quite nice. Good cover, nice print and fits into my jacket pocket. It looks like this...

article-0-1661E25B000005DC-951_233x423.jpg

Finally got around to reading some Atwood, God knows I've been meaning to for the best part of a decade. Rollicks along at a terrific pace despite being full of all the horrors. No complaints here

tumblr_lhe64oPiPd1qb0j8no1_400.jpg

Finally got around to reading some Atwood, God knows I've been meaning to for the best part of a decade. Rollicks along at a terrific pace despite being full of all the horrors. No complaints here

tumblr_lhe64oPiPd1qb0j8no1_400.jpg

I too have to read some Mags. The hefty size of her books is putting me off. Must get over that.

I'm on my first Don DeLillo - very pleased so far

9780330524841_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back