What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (5 Viewers)

I started reading Drood by Dan Simmons this morning. So far it's good. I read a review of it by Matthew Pearl in the Telegraph which clearly states who and what the main antagonist is. I'm absolutely furious since the book is a mystery novel and Matthew Pearl is a mystery novelist himself who should know better than to reveal the killer's fucking identity. Fucking douchebag.
drood1.jpg

I'm reading Frankenstein. It started out ok but it's gone all "oh woe, what misery and despair, ANGUISH!" now. It's taking me ages to read as I have to read maths and computer books now that I'm a student again.

I read a few other books recently though, some of them were very good.

Did you finish it and realise its only bloody amazing?

No, I got a about half way through, forgot about it, dropped it back to the library today

Started "Downfall-the Ceausescus and the Romanian revolution"
Its a little tabloidish in its style but still powerful,an early chapter on the orphans and the child Aids crisis is particularly upsetting.
Good overview of how it was anyway,gives a nice foundation for further reading.

holiday reading over the last 3 weeks;

r59v1tr91v.jpg

ghost_story_a.jpg

Slaughterhouse-Five.jpg

200px-BreakfastOfChampions(Vonnegut).jpg

51WuWr%2B3YqL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-52,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

8507182.jpg

dbl_205.jpg

have been checking out some so-called horror genre books and have been liking them a lot. Good imaginative (though mostly silly) stories. Particularly liked the Dan Simmons one. Will read a few more to give my brain a rest from more taxing books.

I'm reading a Dan Simmons book at the moment and really enjoying it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1847249329/?tag=thumpedcom04-21

thats on my to-read list. From browsing through reviews that seems to be one of his better ones (the one I read isn't). I'm gonna read Summer of Night next because I think its a kind of prequel to the one I read.

He has a nice, simple writing style and a good imagination. I'm glad I stumbled across him.

Also, there are Lee Child books everywhere in America at the moment (even though hes English). I'll give one of his a go soon also just out of pure curiosity.

Lord of Mountains by SM Stirling, latest novel of The Change.

Publisher: Penguin/Roc
Pages: 336
ISBN: 978-0451464767 US import, available in Hodges Figis.

Pretty good so far, but then I'm a fan of Stirling and the series. This an SF series which has edged its way into Fantasy. But still qualifies as Post Apocalyptic SF (sort of).

It’s Change Year 25, a generation after high-energy technology died in a catastrophe most of the human race didn’t survive. The children born after the Change are now starting to take center stage—and Whoever or Whatever was behind the Change itself may be taking a hand in their rivalries.

The new High Kingdom of Montival has gathered its forces for battle against powers that are not sympathetic to humans and human concerns.

This book is a sequel to “The Sunrise Lands”, “The Scourge of God”, “The Sword of the Lady”, “The High King of Montival” and “The Tears of the Sun”.

http://smstirling.com/books/lord-of-mountains/

lord-of-the-mountains-222x335.jpg

I'm tackling War & Peace at the minute. Great read but 300 pages in I'm nowhere near halfway. A lot easier to read than I'd anticipated. Anyone read it?

Found this in the wrong place in Hodges Figgis today and couldn't resist.
Can never find short story anthologies in book shops...

STK466926.jpg

Harlan Ellison, eh? I'm always somewhat surprised when I find out he is still alive. Anyone here read him? If so, I'd be curious what you think. I became obsessed with him as a teenager (prompted largely by Stephen King praising him to the skies) but haven't read anything by him in years. I should dig out one of his books again and give it a go. They were always hard-to-find and usually necessitated a trip down to the Alchemists Head bookshop which was situated (I think) somewhere in the depth of Temple Bar before it became "Temple Bar". Incidently two of my other teenage short-story writer obsessions (JG Ballard and HP Lovecraft) are now uber-trendy in certain art circles so I reckon Harlan must be due a similar revival ...

I have JG Ballard's complete short stories collection however its a massive hardback yoke that's too big, heavy and awkward to actually read. I think i've read about 3 stories in the 10 or more years I've had the book

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back