What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (5 Viewers)

103511705.jpg

anyone read this? the spaniards tale is going on for EVER!!!

250px-Austerlitz_novel_cover.png

Just finished Austerlitz by WG Sebald there last night. Hard to describe how I feel about it, to be honest. I've never read anything like it before, and I want to go back and read it again.

Austerlitz is a deadly book. I'd like to reread a couple of his to see if they're as good as I remember but I haven't risked it just in case they're not. I prefer The Rings Of Saturn but I think that's only because it was the first of his that I read

Been meaning to start reading Austerlitz for a few weeks now. Liked Rings Of Saturn a lot.

takes a while to get going, for the first 30 pages you're kind of like "what's he banging on about?", though I suppose if you've read other Sebald you'll be accustomed to his rambling ways.

Ah yeah ... I think you have to read his stuff slowly and not get frustrated when it doesn't develop into any "normal" kind of narrative. I find that there tend to be some sections that I completely latch on to and find completely gripping, and others that just drift by me. They are the kind of book that demand re-reading ...

pretty good. like a very, very, very (very) long Twilight Zone episode.

the man knows how to tell a story, thats for sure. I was a little uncomfortable with his mixing actual history with his crazy fiction, but overall I did enjoy it. Would be great holiday reading as its not too taxing. I got through it in about 2 days.

the man knows how to tell a story, thats for sure. I was a little uncomfortable with his mixing actual history with his crazy fiction, but overall I did enjoy it. Would be great holiday reading as its not too taxing. I got through it in about 2 days.

Yeah I flew through it in a couple of days on me holidays.

images

just finished ritual by david pinner.

the book which The Wicker Man was (kind of) based on. loads of weirdness in a small cornish village - a policeman comes to investigate. I was expecting it to be very similar to the movie. which it wasn't. which was great. huge fan of the The Wicker Man so was delighted when i realised after reading a few chapters that it was basically a different story with a strong WM feel throughout. there are one or two very similar characters alright. well worth a read anyway, all film associations aside.

first print that finders keepers, that great reissue music label, have put out

images

just finished ritual by david pinner.

the book which The Wicker Man was (kind of) based on. loads of weirdness in a small cornish village - a policeman comes to investigate. I was expecting it to be very similar to the movie. which it wasn't. which was great. huge fan of the The Wicker Man so was delighted when i realised after reading a few chapters that it was basically a different story with a strong WM feel throughout. there are one or two very similar characters alright. well worth a read anyway, all film associations aside.

first print that finders keepers, that great reissue music label, have put out

I'll look out for that.

Anyone see The Wicker Tree? Out on dvd now. Got a terrible (2/10) review in the Fortean Times.

I'll look out for that.

Anyone see The Wicker Tree? Out on dvd now. Got a terrible (2/10) review in the Fortean Times.

I saw the Wicker Tree. It's appalling. 2/10 is generous. Genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen. It was amateurish beyond belief. I've seen student films that were more competently made than this. And I'm a big fan of The Wicker Man

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back