What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (2 Viewers)

I finished this the other week and forgot to post it:

images

and so on...

There's genius on practically every page, although he overuses words like 'azure' and 'iridescent' in the early stories.
hi 5

Guess i'll put him on the list somewhere, might get round to him some point around 2015

or next week

Guess i'll put him on the list somewhere, might get round to him some point around 2015

or next week

Nah, don't bother, you'll never be as good as me. Never.
By 2015 I've have read them all again at least twice.
And even if you drop everything and start reading him now I'm waaay ahead of you.
I'm the king of reading Nabokov.

Bernie: that's disgraceful.

Jonah and I put you all to shame.

etc etc

Well this is it.

I mean, you two guys are so completely cliché* in your pretentious reading it's actually kind of cute. Some day you will have ideas of your own.

etc. etc.

* alternative putdown: "colour by numbers idea of clever reading material"

lolita was on my course in first year in college but i cant remember if i read it or not. a colleague commented last week that you'd really want to be young to read nabokov because he uses lots of stylistic literary gimmicks. i have no idea if thats true or not.

Oh I did English and Anthropology and then I did a masters but forgot to complete it and now i'm halfway through another masters.

I got my preliminary thesis proposal feedback back the other day, basically I said 'here's my idea, it's a bit broad though so I'd appreciate some feedback on how you think I should focus in on it' and the feedback was 'this is a good idea, it's too wide-reaching, we think you should narrow down your approach'.

YEAH THANKS GUYS. CAN I CORRECT IT MYSELF AS WELL?

Got through this today. Typical Ellis, which I enjoy. I wonder if he got some money from apple for using 'iphone' constantly throughout. I can see how this might be his last novel as it seemed to almost sum up the rest in a strange way. It felt like tying loose ends. I was never expecting to find out what happened to these chapters all these years later and it's kind of nice. He has this way of being so blasé and adding in contemporary culture in such a way that seems frivolous even when it's not. He makes it seem like anyone could write a book when in fact it actually quite difficult. I always considered him a guilty pleasure like someone watching reality TV but in fairness, he's a good writer just not everyone's cup of tea.

imperial-bedrooms.jpg

Re: Nabakov. I worked in a University where he was once a professor. Actually lived down the road from where he lived while I was there. At any rate, it was a huge library and they had only 60 percent of the books barcoded. Every thing had a record on the online catalogue but the way they decided to make it easier on themselves and the readers was to wait until someone checked out the book (on old cards they signed) and then pass that card on to cataloguers to create a barcode and link the online record to the book. The barcode remained stapled on the check out card until the book was returned and then the barcode was added to the book. The check out card could be destroyed as is was no longer needed at the point. So a book on butterflies came back in and I placed the barcode in the book and was about to toss the card away until I saw his name. Nabakov had checked out the book nearly 50 years before (it wasn't a popular book) and I kept the card. A few years later I was dating a guy who was a fan of his writing. I found a first edition of one of his books and placed the card in it for a gift. *

* I should have kept it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back