We have NOTHING for this baby... (1 Viewer)

Thanks Coraline. Really appreciate the information.

I'm well thanks :) I wish bun would let me get more sleep though. Getting up for work is very difficult after being kept up half the night by the little party animal.

Would I be right in thinking that buying newborn vests and babygro's is pretty much a waste of money? Would it be better to buy a larger size and just roll up sleeves and legs if necessary?

Get a buggy too. You'll just need it. Carrying a baby is good, but you will get tired.
Get a few children's books too... stuff to read to them.

Get a buggy too. You'll just need it. Carrying a baby is good, but you will get tired.
Get a few children's books too... stuff to read to them.

I'm already carrying the baby around 24/7, can't imagine that carrying it in a sling is going to be much worse. Does it not get tiring pushing a buggy, walking without being able to stand upright or swing your arms?

Which reusable nappies were you using? I've read that some are definitely better than others. The bamboo ones seem to do better for absorbancy than the cotton ones. Different types seem to dry more quickly too, yes, definitely want to avoid using the dryer if at all possible.

So, what would you reckon the absolute essentials are?

I bought Bumgenius 2.0 - they have snap fasteners on them so you only need one set for the whole time they are in nappies. They were incredibly bulky when folded to the smallest size so lots of clothes didn't fit him. They were a complete pain in the hole, they have an insert that has to come out when washing, then you have to get it back in, and you have to have a paper liner on top of that. Way too much trouble for me.

Re: absolute essentials. Babies need food, blankets, warm clothes and somewhere nice to sleep. Most of all they need you, so don't be worrying about 'stuff' :) Highchairs, bouncer chairs etc are a good bit down the road so hold up on those things. I washed HMB in the kitchen sink until he was seven months old and I never bought a bib or a muslin cloth (I let the dogs clean him :D), people have different lifestyles and what is an essential item for one person isn't for another. All babies are different, as are all mammies and daddies. Wait until you have your baby and then you can find out what you need to make life easier for your own family setup.

I bought Bumgenius 2.0 - they have snap fasteners on them so you only need one set for the whole time they are in nappies. They were incredibly bulky when folded to the smallest size so lots of clothes didn't fit him.

We were looking at those (they look very cute) but I was wondering how comfortable/bulky they would be on a newborn.

Re: absolute essentials. Babies need food, blankets, warm clothes and somewhere nice to sleep. Most of all they need you, so don't be worrying about 'stuff' :) Highchairs, bouncer chairs etc are a good bit down the road so hold up on those things. I washed HMB in the kitchen sink until he was seven months old and I never bought a bib or a muslin cloth (I let the dogs clean him :D), people have different lifestyles and what is an essential item for one person isn't for another. All babies are different, as are all mammies and daddies. Wait until you have your baby and then you can find out what you need to make life easier for your own family setup.

We've no dog to wash Bun, ok if I bring him her round to yours once a week or so? ;) What you say makes sense, and probably explains why everyone has a different idea of how much (and what) stuff we should have at this stage.

bought re-usables but didn't use them much.

Which ones? And why didn't you use them much?

Does it not get tiring pushing a buggy, walking without being able to stand upright or swing your arms?

I don't have a lot of buggy pushing experience, but I did spend a day at the zoo a few years ago with my (then 3 1/2 year old) niece and her buggy. The buggy was a pain in the back and the backside. I ended up carrying the child on my shoulders most of the time anyway because she couldn't see anything from the buggy (and people kept stepping back on her).

Public transport with a buggy seems to be a nightmare too.

i guess it could have been a bad buggy?
the thing about the quinnys and the bugaboos of this world is that, especially the quinny, they're designed to be incredibly easy to push around, and i've never heard anyone complain about bad backs etc from them. you can adjust the handle to any height you like to ensure your posture is ok. we've also never had an issue with being in anyone's way.
granted, they are crazy expensive and bulky, rubbish on buses, but fine on the train, but public transport is only for commoners anyway.

also, when you're on your leave i imagine you'll want to get in at least one decent walk a day to avoid going stir crazy, an hour with a baby in your arms/sling is going to be torture

Ditto on the buggy. You will deffo need one.
You will gut to a point with public transport that it will become easy.
And sometimes, soooometimes people can be slightly helpful.

This day 2 years ago my fella came two weeks early causing me to panic buy lots of stuff that we didn't already have.
Stupidly I got sterilizers & bottles and stuff like that while he ended up being breast fed for 6 months.

So anyway, it will all fall into place. The parenting instinct will kick in like a ton of bricks and make you capable of stuff you never dreamed you were capable of.
Don't worry.

i guess it could have been a bad buggy?
the thing about the quinnys and the bugaboos of this world is that, especially the quinny, they're designed to be incredibly easy to push around, and i've never heard anyone complain about bad backs etc from them. you can adjust the handle to any height you like to ensure your posture is ok. we've also never had an issue with being in anyone's way.
granted, they are crazy expensive and bulky, rubbish on buses, but fine on the train, but public transport is only for commoners anyway.

also, when you're on your leave i imagine you'll want to get in at least one decent walk a day to avoid going stir crazy, an hour with a baby in your arms/sling is going to be torture

Maybe it was a bad buggy. I'm afraid commoners is exactly what we are though, there is no way we're going to be buying a car any time soon so there will be plenty of Bus, LUAS, DART and train journeys in this baby's future.

Deluxe-Snuggle-Nest-Bed-Baby-418x311.jpg

What's this called again? I'm eh, in the market for one again...

Maybe it was a bad buggy. I'm afraid commoners is exactly what we are though, there is no way we're going to be buying a car any time soon so there will be plenty of Bus, LUAS, DART and train journeys in this baby's future.

Don't forget that it makes a great battering ram too!

And sometimes, soooometimes people can be slightly helpful.

I think the words you were looking for are very rarely. I'm quite visably and obviously pregnant and the only thing I've noticed on my daily LUAS commute to work is that I get pushed and shoved MORE than I used to, one woman almost knocked me over. I am actually beginning to harbour quite anti-social feelings. But that is a whole different matter.

This day 2 years ago my fella came two weeks early causing me to panic buy lots of stuff that we didn't already have.
Stupidly I got sterilizers & bottles and stuff like that while he ended up being breast fed for 6 months.

So anyway, it will all fall into place. The parenting instinct will kick in like a ton of bricks and make you capable of stuff you never dreamed you were capable of.
Don't worry.

Wow, 2 years ago already! That's amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back