Waterford Whispers (1 Viewer)

it's hard to get over the

people who have never pursued goals, never had ambition, engaged in lives of debauchery and who are currently, in the eyes of the government, on a par with me

bit alright.

That's the biggest problem with it. There's no problem dreaming big (albeit vaguely expressed here at least), it's when you're looking down your nose at those with less opportunities than you that people get pissed.

it's hard to get over the

people who have never pursued goals, never had ambition, engaged in lives of debauchery and who are currently, in the eyes of the government, on a par with me

bit alright.

How would you feel it you had put aside sex, drugs and rock'n'roll during the times when everyone was going at them freely, in order to get some kind of payoff, and the payoff never materialised?

Pissed off, I'd say

The "on a par with me" bit is pretty obnoxious, I'll grant you, but ... (shrugs) she might be just shit at expressing herself. Either way she seems like a pretty clueless individual. How do you expect the government to rank its citizens? The economic crash was in full swing before you even started college, what led you to believe you'd find a job? Anyway, who cares. I'm sure I could throw a handful of pebbles out the window and hit plenty of still more clueless people

Every year when summer rolls around I say to Mrs. egg_ ... "if only we had decided to be primary school teachers". It's only after 20 years of me working as a programmer and her as an ecologist (that's scientist ecologist, not hippie) that we're making around as much money as we would be if that's what we'd done instead (and we may well never make up the difference), and oh god the holidays
Around kids all day every day?
You'd need three months off just to stop the ringing in your ears.

How would you feel it you had put aside sex, drugs and rock'n'roll during the times when everyone was going at them freely, in order to get some kind of payoff, and the payoff never materialised?

Pissed off, I'd say

What exactly is her definition of debauchery though? I doubt she partied any more or less than the average person on the dole today. She seems to be equating everyone on the scratch (bar herself) with the long-term unemployed/unemployable. With unemployment near 10% I imagine there's thousands like her signing on every week. What makes her so worthy?

She seems to be equating everyone on the scratch (bar herself) with the long-term unemployed/unemployable.
Yeah, I think that's very common alright.
Plenty of people equate the dole with failure and just plain old scrounging. Sitting at home in a tracksuit with Jeremy Kyle and pulling a cheque for it.
Never mind the fact that when there were decent jobs to be had, almost everyone took them.

Also WWN is not very funny.
its more 'hah' than 'hahaha', if you take my meaning.

I think its maturing well as a thing. I think they do a fine job taking on some social issues. 3 that come to mind are the Mother+Baby Homes, the 'Migrant' crisis, and the recent tragedy at the traveller site in Carrickmines. I didn't laugh at any of those articles but rather thought to myself, 'damn right, Irish people can be shits sometimes', which I think it moreso what they're about now than the cheap laughs at the tracksuit-clad, baseball-hat wearing 'chav' from Waterford (which still creeps in from time to time, admittedly).

I hope they stick around.

They did. Remember that article by the guy who used to run Dubliner magazine? I think when it folded he obviously got a big payoff and then spent two pages waffling about how wonderful it was to be unemployed as he was spending his days lounging around in coffee shops and had already been on three foreign trips so far this year.

In fairness to him, we all partied.

Yeah, they're way better at it than any of the other local efforts at an Onion-alike. Donegal Dollop has its moments but is very patchy and Evil Gerald had a few zingers but didn't last long.

This kind of gear is good.

No Fellow Countryman Allowed To Wear The Poppy, Confirms Irish Manchester United Fan

No Fellow Countryman Allowed To Wear The Poppy, Confirms Irish Manchester United Fan
October 30, 2015

3.1KSHARES
Tweet on Twitter
Share on Facebook

5View Comments

A 23-YEAR-OLD Dublin based Manchester United fan has explained to anyone who will listen that it is not acceptable to wear the poppy if you’re Irish.

Graham Kenny, a lifelong fan of Manchester United, a club that backs the Poppy Appeal, has informed absolutely everyone on the island that despite their misapprehensions, there is only one acceptable viewpoint to take on all matters relating to Ireland, which must entirely reflect his own beliefs.

Citing his stringent set of principles and morals, he confirmed he couldn’t in good conscience leave things unsaid as so many of those around him didn’t care that money they have would go towards the British Legions in one form or another.

Kenny has informed people through his social media accounts that no one is to defy his request that ‘pricks don’t wear the fucking poppy’ as it is disrespectful to those in Northern Ireland, a location to which he has never been.

The Dubliner singled out UFC champ Conor McGregor for wearing the poppy and expressed his disappointment as he had previously considered McGregor to be a “class fucking hero altogether” up until this point.

Going into further detail, Kenny copy and pasted large swathes of text from Wikipedia detailing British soldiers’ actions in Northern Ireland and added that if he had his way wearing a poppy would be punishable by death, adding “hang the fuckers”.

The die hard Manc, who in recent years has made 10 trips to Old Trafford, which was used as a military depot during World War II, would however not close his Sky Bet account despite the company’s efforts in raising money for the British Legion’s Poppy Appeal.

“I’ve 10 quid on Celtic to win 5-0, I can’t walk away from that, I’ve got a free bet there too,” explained the Tesco employee, who objected to his employers continued efforts to raise money for soldiers in the UK, but stopped short of resigning his position.

Relevant

0987715d-9758-4a55-85b5-80cefe570ca7-original.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back