Volume boost for solos? (1 Viewer)

GARYXKNIFEDX

Solutions
Website
Visit site
Other than turning down to start with,is there any way to do this?
I've tried various pedals I have but no luck.
A new amp is not an option.

you're probably better off trying to use a reverb pedal or a tiny bit of echo, rather than volume, just to try and lift it above the melee.
you should be able to use little enough fx that you can't actually hear the reverb, but enough to give you that boost you need

Thanks Dudley,that's the type of answer I was hoping for. I'll have to get my hands on some of those effects to try it out.

you can get boost pedals that will bump your volume. the carl martin hydra boost is supposed to be good for this in that it adds volume without adding more dirt:

carlmartin-hydraboost-460-80.jpg

and to follow on from what dudley said, if you just change your sound a bit, it will stand out without having to be louder. reverb would be one way, but also using an eq pedal to boost the high mids will make the tone jump out too.

Don't play solos myself so can't offer much advice but I will say all "clean" boosts add some dirt as they push the amp harder. I'll sort ya a cheap Super Hard On or another boost if ya want.

In my experience I've found that boosting certain frequencies using a graphic EQ yields the best results for what you're trying to do. Setting the EQ to an inverte smile works really for this, a bit of mid boost is what you want to cut through, especially upper mids.
It works really well at cutting through for the solo but not having such a dramatic fall back to the original volume for rhythm playing that you might get with a clean boost.

I like cheap. I might look around for a cheap eq pedal. I'm not in a major rush for it or anything.
would it make much difference playing an amp everything at 10 and with a pedal in front? Usually a DS1 or Tubescreamer.

If you haven't already you should try the tube screamer with the drive turned down and the volume above unity gain. That'll basically give you a clean mid boost.

Gonna build myself a box of rock soon.

I have one of these

AAAAAu-J1V4AAAAAAWv0Tw.jpg

It's a overdrive and clean boost. I set it to boost and it sends more level into the pre amp, adding some nice grit, and volume depending on how you set the level. Great for feedback and sustain. Cheap aswell, around 70 eura's

Great thread.This is an issue that has puzzled me for years.Being a lazy bastard I've never done anything about it.
I always assumed I'd need a twin channel amp to achieve this.

In my experience I've found that boosting certain frequencies using a graphic EQ yields the best results for what you're trying to do. Setting the EQ to an inverte smile works really for this, a bit of mid boost is what you want to cut through, especially upper mids.
It works really well at cutting through for the solo but not having such a dramatic fall back to the original volume for rhythm playing that you might get with a clean boost.

This is a good point actually. Also believe it or not, treble boost pedals can be pretty nice for helping a solo to cut though. Always thought they were a shit idea for a pedal, but they actually do sound great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back