Vista Home Premium, blue screen with cursor. (1 Viewer)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
I posted this on another forum but I just thought I'd stick it here too in case anyone can help.

I wonder if anyone could help me. My desktop is acting up. It's got MS Window Vista Home Premium, Dell Vostro_400, Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 3gig RAM. Hadn't recently presented any problems until this morning. I started the computer and it said there were a couple of corrupted files that needed to be scanned. The scan went ahead. Since then whenever I try to access the PC the usual way it takes ages and ages and all I get is a blue screen with a cursor. I can start Task Manager but nothing I've tried so far has had any effect. This is whether I log in under my own account or as a guest.

To add to my confusion there seem to be two versions of Vista installed.
When I'm booting up I get the option of Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows Vista. When I select the latter the PC boots up, apparently as normal, except it's all files and software from 2010 and prior. It's in this version I'm writing this post. I can't seem to access any of my work, photos, music etc. from the past 3 years. Any help with this would be appreciated. I don't have the original Vista disc unfortunately, it seems several of the proposed solutions online depend on using it.

I'd like to salvage this PC if possible as I'm not exactly flush at the minute. If I did however purchase a new PC would it be difficult to retrieve the files off the old hard drive? Most of my work is backed up online but many of the photos aren't and there's some of my own recorded files that I'd find hard (but not impossible) to get copies of again.

Again, any and all help is much appreciated.

ok if that other suggestion i sent you is a non-starter...

It's a 99% probability everything is still there, but the 'old' Vista you're using now doesn't have permissions (or is just looking in the wrong place) to read the newer files. I'd start by looking for a second Documents & Settings folder, or for a second YOURVISTAUSERNAME.001 or something in Documents & Settings. When you find them you'll probably need to 'take ownership' of the directories to give yourself rights to see your own files.

You can't ignore the possibility the other Vista install died because your hard drive is about to keel over. My advice would be to buy a new hard drive tomorrow (you can get a Samsung 840 Pro 128GB sata SSD in PC world for about €140; or the non pro version (slower) for €120, or a standard 1TB drive for well under €100 online...). Install that, stick Windows 7 on it, throw your existing hard drive in as a secondary drive and you should be able to recover everything.

Also: http://www.crashplan.com/

I did a few disk check and various other things last night to no avail. I was rebooting just to see if it would help but it was taking ages so I left the PC and went and fell asleep.

Today I find that the normal Vista booted up with these notices.

problems.jpg problem2.jpg

Things seem to be working ok now but I'm going to back everything up to an external drive anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back