Virtual Bike Workshop (1 Viewer)

I've a bag full of bike related shit that's always with me, I've just not had a single puncture in the last 1500km's worth of cycling....

I

am

afraid.

IK have a question folks,
i've had 2 double punctures in the last week, are those armadillo tyres worth the money money? i don't care if they make the ride rougher, I just wanna get to and from work without glueing patches.

were the punctures directly related to the state of the roads - glass or sharp object piercing the tube? or did you drop the wheel into a big pothole?

if not it might be worthwhile checking there isnt a ding/dent in the rim thats pinching the innertube and causing those puncture or that the spokes havent been damaged and are portruding through the rim tape and piercing the tube. also be sure to run your fingers around the tube and rim after a repair to check for any loose objects trapped in there before you put your wheel back together.

2double punctures does sound like either real bad luck or a problem with your wheel

Yo, anyone know any good nutrition & cycling type articles etc?
I get dizzy and dehydrated and very very tired sometimes. Also the flatmate expressed some concern about my well being in that regard.

Yo, anyone know any good nutrition & cycling type articles etc?
I get dizzy and dehydrated and very very tired sometimes. Also the flatmate expressed some concern about my well being in that regard.

dude, check out

http://www.cptips.com/toc.htm#nuttips

there was a deadly one on the wicklow200 site, but I can't find it there now.

A good rule of thumb is to bring shitloads when you go out and eat and drink it all.

For a 5 hour spin I'd bring: 2 x nutrigrains, 1 x other oat bar, banana, 2 x energy gels, 2 x bidons (mostly just water and I'd be sure to get them refilled along the way).

That does me. I'd normally have a big feed before I leave of porridge or muesli or something like that and that'll last a good 1.5 hours. Then go for the banana, then the rest as you see fit. I think yer meant to drink a bottle every hour, but thats not practical if you can't find anywhere to refil along the way.

IK have a question folks,
i've had 2 double punctures in the last week, are those armadillo tyres worth the money money? i don't care if they make the ride rougher, I just wanna get to and from work without glueing patches.

I'd heartily recommend the armadillo type tyres have one on my front wheel for over a year now which included 6 months + of couriering on it, you can get ones that are the same as armadillos (ie kevlar or whatever it's called) but not all bumpy and shit if that's what you mean with the rougher ride remark??

re: flashback know a few people who can build up a wheel so that shouldn't be a prob and would just use my existing hubs which are decent enough, but will be a while before I bother getting new shit for the bike.

re: redd cmwc is where I laid my beady eyes on those rims, hot pink or electric blue decisions decisions http://bricklanebikes.co.uk/ this is the place that had the stall in phoenix park on sat.. if anyone else is interested.

cheers for advise.

also be sure to run your fingers around the tube and rim after a repair to check for any loose objects trapped in there before you put your wheel back together.

2double punctures does sound like either real bad luck or a problem with your wheel

there was nothing lodged in the tyre, apart from one small piece of glass but in a different spot, both punctures were more to the side wall.

I bought a kevlar tyre this morning and a new tube. the guy in the shop said I probably nipped the tyre on a kerb, hence the two holes, and that kevlar won't stop that type of puncture. I'll just have to stop cycling like a tit. Its a giant FCR with thin enough tyres so i suppose i'll have to treat it a bit more like a racer than a mountain bike.

there was nothing lodged in the tyre, apart from one small piece of glass but in a different spot, both punctures were more to the side wall.

I bought a kevlar tyre this morning and a new tube. the guy in the shop said I probably nipped the tyre on a kerb, hence the two holes, and that kevlar won't stop that type of puncture. I'll just have to stop cycling like a tit. Its a giant FCR with thin enough tyres so i suppose i'll have to treat it a bit more like a racer than a mountain bike.

I think what your describing is a snake bite which is when the rim hits the ground and the tube gets bitten between rim and ground. Have you the air pressure in the tires high enough?

a chap i know was getting snakebites all the time; turns out he was inflating the tyres on his bike (road bike, trek 1000) to about 40psi. they should be 80, minimum.

Right. I was going to say that. Make sure you have the right pressure. And learn to jump the bike over sharp things.

Like I never used puncture proof tyres, and I rarely get flats. I usually ride at around 90 to 110 psi depending on my tyres.

Also, sarah, build the wheel with DT Swiss double butted stainless spokes.

I think what your describing is a snake bite which is when the rim hits the ground and the tube gets bitten between rim and ground. Have you the air pressure in the tires high enough?

That's exactly what it is. i've been pumping the living daylights out of the tyres with the pump i have, but they don't seem to get up to a decent pressure. Think i'll invest in one of these:
04PumpAirToolProFloor_d.jpg

bring it to a garage dude. They have pumps there. You don't even have to buy petrol or anything, its great.

Careful though, those yokes are powerful.

bring it to a garage dude. They have pumps there. You don't even have to buy petrol or anything, its great.

They are not really that powerful though... well, I mean, I suppose they are different. But the ones I saw dont really push out much more then 70psi.
Like, cars only want about 30 psi.

I have never needed anything more than an ordinary Zefal HPX frame pump.
30 yo yos more or less.

That's exactly what it is. i've been pumping the living daylights out of the tyres with the pump i have, but they don't seem to get up to a decent pressure. Think i'll invest in one of these:
04PumpAirToolProFloor_d.jpg

One of the best investments you'll make imo, saves shit loads of time too. BBB do a decent one for about €30. I think I have this one:

4995.jpg

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4995

I'm pretty sure it cost me the same in cycological on the quays, loads more here:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=track+pump&x=0&y=0

How do you get there when your tire is soft?

Like, yeah, track pumps are deadly.

But, you know, you have to carry one with you too. I have an old Zefal pump, and have been dragging it about for years.
Totally grand. Puts in really high pressures with out too much fuss.

I run panaracer 23c racing tyres and keep them at 120psi and I rarely puncture.They skip a bit though which can be disconcerting when cornering..

Sarah re your wheel-if weight isn't an issue or you can sacrifice a bit for strength you could build the wheels with DT Alpine spokes which are twice the thickness of normal spokes so they add a lot more lateral stiffness.I used to use them on my downhill bike years ago and they made the wheel bombproof.

I run panaracer 23c racing tyres and keep them at 120psi and I rarely puncture.They skip a bit though which can be disconcerting when cornering..

Sarah re your wheel-if weight isn't an issue or you can sacrifice a bit for strength you could build the wheels with DT Alpine spokes which are twice the thickness of normal spokes so they add a lot more lateral stiffness.I used to use them on my downhill bike years ago and they made the wheel bombproof.

You run 120 all the time? Jaysus. I put it up to 115 maybe to Time Trail on. Normally rode around at something just over 100psi. 20 / 18c Conti Grand Prixes all the way.

Sarah, you'll know you are at 120 psi when you have to have a look down once in a while to make sure you are not riding on the rims.

And see? There's two votes for DT Swiss spokes. You have no choice now.

You run 120 all the time? Jaysus. I put it up to 115 maybe to Time Trail on. Normally rode around at something just over 100psi. 20 / 18c Conti Grand Prixes all the way.

Sarah, you'll know you are at 120 psi when you have to have a look down once in a while to make sure you are not riding on the rims.

And see? There's two votes for DT Swiss spokes. You have no choice now.

Yeah i have a tendency to take punctures personally,especially pinches.

There is set of hoffman tyres that vert riders use that go to 200psi..I know a few guys that ride street with them:eek:

Goodbye youthful joints hello premature arthritis.

You run 120 all the time?

me too. I was told to by 3 different bike shops so never thought to question. I'm used to it now and rarely puncture on the road bike.

The hybrid goes to 75 and thats a complete different kettle of fish.

I'm on Mavic Cosmic Elites on the road bike at the minute. Not too expensive and they're deadly. The new bike I've me eye on comes with Kysyrium Elites. Another peg or 2 up from that again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back