Vetiver + Mi and L'au (thurs aug 31) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter u:m
  • Start date
  • Replies 20
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 3

u:m

U:MACK
Present
Vetiver

+Very special guests
Mi and L'au
Thursday 31 august

Whelans of wexford street
Doors 8pm
Tickets €16 from Road, City Discs, Wav Box office 1890 2000 78 online at www.tickets.ie
Listen to Vetiver at www.myspace.com/vetiverse
Listen to Mi and L’au at www.younggodrecords.com

We’re delighted to announce a very special double bill of Vetiver and Mi and L’au in whelans on Thursday 31 august. Tickets go on sale this weekend

Vetiver
Under the imprint Vetiver, Andy Cabic has been writing and performing songs in an acoustic manner for a few years now, often accompanied on cello by Alissa Anderson, and at times on guitar by Devendra Banhart. It is quite common to see Jim Gaylord playing his violin on stage with them as well, as Vetiver keeps growing and sprouting up in unexpected ways.

Released two years after the band's eponymous debut release, which stood out as one of 2004's finest releases, new album To Find Me Gone is the second album by the ever-evolving band. A lush, beautiful album, it cements Andy's growing reputation as one of the finest songwriters of his generation.

Since his last album, Andy has spent long stints on the road, touring occasionally with Vetiver, and regularly as a member of Devendra Banhart's band. Written and recorded in free time during that period, 'To Find Me Gone' is a freer and more mature effort, markedly shifting Vetiver's sound into a different direction. Lyrically, it's very much a 'road' record, about travel and distances, comings and goings, people falling in and out of lives and wondering where the time goes. Moving away from folk references and the simpler minimalism of the first album, there is more of a West Cost '70s feel evident on the new record. With a focused depth and controlled studio-led expansiveness, the arrangements are significantly different, utilising greater instrumentation and a broader range, including screaming electric guitar solos, pedal steel, layered strings, and electronic flourishes, alongside songs that wouldn't sound amiss on the first album. Alongside Cabic, the players on this album included mainstays Devendra, Alissa Anderson, Otto Hauser (drums), and Kevin Barker (guitar).

Mi and L'au

Mi and L'au met in Paris a few years back. Mi is Finnish and was working as a model to make ends meet and L'au (who's French) was working in the music industry (soundtracks, I think). They fell deeply and immediately in love, and after a short period of moving from apartment to apartment in Paris, they gave everything up and decided to move to the woods in Finland, so they could be alone together in peace and to spend their time discovering each other and their music. They live in a small cabin in complete isolation with the barest of essentials (except in the brutal Finnish winter, when they move to Helsinki) and they spend virtually all their time making music together in solitude. They are pure and gentle souls (Devendra's song, from oh me oh my "gentle soul" was written for L'au – the two had met in Paris when Devendra was wandering there, and L'au took him in, and they also made music together). Their music is bare and austere, made with simple instrumentation - voice, acoustic guitars, and other very sparse orchestrations. I wouldn't say it compares at all to the current crop of neo hippy "weird folk" etc. It has the naked quality of certain early Nico recordings, or Chet Baker...soulful and elegant, without being touchy-feely or confessional. Their music reminds me of how one might imagine a winter Finnish landscape - haunting and pure

the new vetiver album is cool. but i shall be winging my way to canada on the 31st oh well.

swingkid said:
It's a shame it clashes with Gang Gang Gang at Skinny Wolves Club...

ah well... it's getting harder not to clash with things these days...

bollox!!!!! i presume that gang gang dance will be on late-ish seens as its a skinny wolves club night. might be able to catch the two of them.

Only recently discovered/fell deeply and immediately in like with Vetiver.

Mi and L'au sound intriguing. It's always nice when Finnish model/musicians find love against the odds.

Bellatrix said:
Only recently discovered/fell deeply and immediately in like with Vetiver.

Mi and L'au sound intriguing. It's always nice when Finnish model/musicians find love against the odds.
theyre pretty cool. check out the audio and video at www.younggodrecords.com

Mi and L'au sound intriguing. It's always nice when Finnish model/musicians find love against the odds.[/quote]

they played with josephine foster last year. nice people. they're playing in limerick on august 29th (tbc)...

Bellatrix said:

Mi and L'au are quality, We did a little tour with them and Josephine Foster last year. They play very quietly though. I hope the usual whelans shitheads stay at home for this one.

Yeah Mi and L'au were really good in the Boom Boom Room and the place was so quiet when they were on you had to gently put your drink back on the table for fear of disturbing the peace. Dont know if it would be the same kind of atmosphere with the loud bashing of glasses around at the bar and usual talking heads you get there. But sounds like a good gig though.

excellent footage of vetiver song from a Banhart show at a festival in Las Vegas:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back