Venison (1 Viewer)

What you'd want with that Mrs.Beeton recipe is a steamed pudding afterwards and some mulligitawny soup before. Then you could sit in your armchair and read some Dickens afterwards.

Mulligatawny might be a bit too hearty as a starter... a simple clear beef consomee that takes the cook three days of preparations would be more the thing.

Have you ever seen any of the documentaries about the workings of those big country house kitchens? I saw one where they rebuilt the kitchen and they tried to recreate its operations for a week. The stock pot was just kept going continuously.

I'm reading Mrs. Beeton at the moment. Its bloody fascinating. it give the suggested pay for different types of servants and suggests the appropriate level of staff for the income of the house.

Then there are is a section of the etiquette of visiting during the daytime and afternoon and dinner parties.

There stuff in it like at the dnner party the host takes the lady guest, who by either her unfimarility with the group or her seniority, he will be paying most attention to and leads her to the table seating her on his right. If that ladies husband is in the group he will then accompany the hosts wife to her seat in the same manner and then seat himself to her left.

I saw something once on an earlier kitchen -about 18th century. There was the same huge battery of staff.

There was on idsh they used to do which was roast swan or similar. After the bird was roasted it was returned to the plumiage for display prposed to be brought to the table - stomachs of iron those people must have had!

I wonder does Barry Venison eat venison or does it freak him out?

player_venison.jpg

Great player. One of the greats. And super media man.

I'm reading Mrs. Beeton at the moment. Its bloody fascinating. it give the suggested pay for different types of servants and suggests the appropriate level of staff for the income of the house.

Then there are is a section of the etiquette of visiting during the daytime and afternoon and dinner parties.

There stuff in it like at the dnner party the host takes the lady guest, who by either her unfimarility with the group or her seniority, he will be paying most attention to and leads her to the table seating her on his right. If that ladies husband is in the group he will then accompany the hosts wife to her seat in the same manner and then seat himself to her left.

I saw something once on an earlier kitchen -about 18th century. There was the same huge battery of staff.

There was on idsh they used to do which was roast swan or similar. After the bird was roasted it was returned to the plumiage for display prposed to be brought to the table - stomachs of iron those people must have had!

Is that the new-ish book that is out with highlights or something - or the full Mrs Beeton book.

The full enchilada. I bought what I thought was a version of it a while back but it was a kind of recepies inspired by deal. Complete waste of money. This version appears to be the real thing and is a pretty hefty read.

The full enchilada. I bought what I thought was a version of it a while back but it was a kind of recepies inspired by deal. Complete waste of money. This version appears to be the real thing and is a pretty hefty read.

Hmm... where did you get it? What's it called? It's the historical and social interest that appeals to me more than anything else.

What cut is it and how old was the deer? If it is a joint or on the bone and from an older animal then I highly recommend casseroling it in red wine.

Put in a dish with a tight fitting lid. Add about 1/2 a bottle of red wine, seal the lid to keep in the liquid. Cook at about 170 C for a couple of hours (until tender) put the liquid into a saucepan and reduce, add some sugar and or redcurrant jelly to taste. Serve the jus with the venison.

If it is younger then you could roast it or pan fry it. But if you do that make sure you keep it rare.

I too have some Venison. THanks Squiggle.

What the fuck is wrong with my venison that no one wants it!
You all want venison form someone whose avitar is someone puking.
Huuumph.

I'll take it if you don't want it.

Or we could do a sociable venison cooking... yourself and wobbler providing the venison of course :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back