Venison (3 Viewers)

gaybo.
was it gamey tasting or was it really sublte and soft?
one i had before was bit too wild for my liking. pellets in me teeth and all.
had veal in bread crumbs before. while i disagree with the idea of little things being killed, sweet jesus it was amazing.

No pellets or anything like that. It was tasty. Not amazing or anything. Tasted a bit like...... chicken, but more subtelty to the flavours. It was nice.

As mentioned before in this thread, people who disagree with eating *some* meats should start with chicken an work from there. I don't see the point on getting in one's high horse about veal, bambis or foi gras.

No pellets or anything like that. It was tasty. Not amazing or anything. Tasted a bit like...... chicken, but more subtelty to the flavours. It was nice.

As mentioned before in this thread, people who disagree with eating *some* meats should start with chicken an work from there. I don't see the point on getting in one's high horse about veal, bambis or foi gras.
b.a. later?

My Gran was given a few pieces of venison by a friend of hers so on Sunday I cooked it for her and my mum.

I marinated it in port for a couple of hours in the fridge and then cooked it in the port in a sealed casserole at about 180 for an hour, then 60 or something (bottom oven of an AGA) for a further 3 hours. Reduced the port down with some redcurrent jelly and then sliced the venison, tossed it in the jus and served it with Garlic mash and lemony leeks. Really yummy!

My Gran was given a few pieces of venison by a friend of hers so on Sunday I cooked it for her and my mum.

I marinated it in port for a couple of hours in the fridge and then cooked it in the port in a sealed casserole at about 180 for an hour, then 60 or something (bottom oven of an AGA) for a further 3 hours. Reduced the port down with some redcurrent jelly and then sliced the venison, tossed it in the jus and served it with Garlic mash and lemony leeks. Really yummy!

That sound great. I still havent cooked the piece I was promised yet. I think we have a winner on the recipe though!

Finally got around to doing this.
I casserolled it in about a half bottle of wine and some stock. Added some allspice to the liquid.
Not bad but a couple of lessons learned.

Stock need to be very light to allow the liguid be properly reduced after. I had to thicken with roux rather than reduce to stop the sauce becoming too salty.

Allspice is OK but too christmassy.

I cooked it for 2 hours which was either too long or two short. Next time I think I'd go for a longer slower cook.

Very nice overall though.

I was heading home to visit my parents one weekend from Boston in the autumn. It gets pitch dark around 6ish. It’s about a 5 hour drive and about 2 ½ hours in, I hit a deer. It ran in the middle of the road. I swerved (what one is not suppose to do) in order not to hit it. I was lucky no one was around on the road because I would have caused a huge accident.

I almost missed it but I caught its neck with the side mirror and the head hit the windshield and cracked it in many places. I freaked out. I pulled over and saw it just lying on the side of the road but was too afraid to go near it. I called a friend. They called the state troopers for me with a general idea of the exit I was near.

About 20 minutes later… a conversation with me and a State Trooper on the side of the road around 11:00pm on a Friday night.

ST: So you whacked a deer, ey?
Me: (in tears) yes. (Points to the body)
ST: Stay back now.
Me: Okay
ST: Looks like a clean hit there missy.
Me: huh?
ST: Looks like you broke its neck. It’s a perfect hit. Good aim.
Me: [standing in disbelief]
ST: You wanna take her home?
Me: umm, no.

Another man pulls up in a pick-up truck that apparently listens to police scanners and knows the trooper.

Guy: I heard we got a deer out here. How’s she look?
ST: [to guy]Clean hit.
ST: [to me] I gots me some rope. We can strap it to the hood for you.
Me: No thanks.
ST: You don’t want it?
Me: No!
Guy: But it’s good eatin’.
Me: I’m vegetarian. (not exactly true but the girl’s car I had borrowed was)
ST. Yer a what now?
Me: I don’t eat meat.
ST: I have never heard of such a thing.
Guy: Not even chicken.

[This type of questioning goes on for a bit]

Me: No, nothing. I don’t want it.
Guy: Can I have it?
Me: Sure.
ST: Here you go honey, just sign this here paper.
Me: Okay.

I did this while watching the guy drag the poor deer along the road and fling it into his truck. The thud sound is something I will not forget.

Guy: Thanks missy (tries to shake my hand with his dead dear one)
Me: No problem, can I go now?
ST: Yep, be careful now.
Me: I will.

I drove the rest of the way with a huge dent, no side mirror and a cracked windshield I thought could shatter at any moment. I also didn’t eat meat for about a year. Horrific.

Does the "ey" the the end of the sentence mean that this hapend in Canada?

It's upseting to kill something vegetarian or not. I've spent a lot of time in slaughterhouses and the sight of animals being killed is not somethng that becomes second nature easily.

Close to the Canadian border. You’ll hear a lot of eys, dole-ers, and aboots in upstate NY. He was just so adamant about strapping it to the car. I was seriously disturbed.

How did they figure you were going to butcher the animal? In your kitchen with some newspapers on the floor!

Upstate NY, especially on the way to my home is like no-man’s land. I could have easily found someone in my town to do it. It is flocked with hunters every autumn. Most locals live on venison all winter. On the first day of the hunting season every year some business man from NYC is shot by another. Ridiculous. Basically, I’m a cluchie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back