Venison (1 Viewer)

bambi.jpg

i had venison in that venu place not so long ago.
FUCKING SAVAGE it was. yay for deers!!!

I love venison, but know from people in authority that it's very hard to cook properly. It has a tendancy to dry out. Sorry, but I have no more details as I can't cook hard stuff.

I have got my hadns on a nice piece of venison from someone at work

Sugestions & advice (venison related only please) greatly appreciated.

What cut is it and how old was the deer? If it is a joint or on the bone and from an older animal then I highly recommend casseroling it in red wine.

Put in a dish with a tight fitting lid. Add about 1/2 a bottle of red wine, seal the lid to keep in the liquid. Cook at about 170 C for a couple of hours (until tender) put the liquid into a saucepan and reduce, add some sugar and or redcurrant jelly to taste. Serve the jus with the venison.

If it is younger then you could roast it or pan fry it. But if you do that make sure you keep it rare.

Funny how people are very squeamish about some types of meat but not others.

Battery Pigs and Chickens have a miserable existance, at least bambi had a normal life before being eaten.

Funny how people are very squeamish about some types of meat but not others.

Battery Pigs and Chickens have a miserable existance, at least bambi had a normal life before being eaten.

ah I don't mind so much, I just like being pedantic. As I understand it, if we don't kill and eat the deer the lions will, and then the lion population will rocket and they'll invade our cities, take our jobs, still our women and eat the rest of us all up, gradually wiping out the human race

there's a really good book about it all you can get, well worth a read

Tlk6nacover.jpg

I was fishing about last night and found this is one from Mrs. Beeton - so it looks like Squiggle was on the right track!

A Shoulder of Venison
900ml (1½ pints) Weak Stock or Gravy
Mutton Fat, a few slices
2 glasses Port Wine
½ tsp Whole Pepper
½ tsp Whole Allspice
Pepper and Ground Allspice, to taste
Hang the venison until tender.
Remove the bone, flatten the meat with a rolling pin and place a few slices of mutton fat over it, which have been previously soaked for 2 or 3 hours in port wine.
Sprinkle with a little ground allspice and pepper, roll the meat up and bind and tie it securely.
Put it into a saucepan with the bone and the weak stock or gravy, whole allspice, black pepper and port wine.
Cover closely with a lid and simmer, very gently, from 3½ to 4 hours.
When quite tender, take off the tape and dish the meat.
Strain the gravy over it and serve it to table with redcurrant jelly.
Unless the joint is very fat, the above is the best mode of cooking it.
Time: 3½ to 4 hours.
Sufficient for 10 or 12 persons.
Seasonable. Buck venison, from June to Michaelmas; doe venison, from November to the end of January.

I was fishing about last night and found this is one from Mrs. Beeton - so it looks like Squiggle was on the right track!

A Shoulder of Venison
900ml (1½ pints) Weak Stock or Gravy
Mutton Fat, a few slices
2 glasses Port Wine
½ tsp Whole Pepper
½ tsp Whole Allspice
Pepper and Ground Allspice, to taste
Hang the venison until tender.
Remove the bone, flatten the meat with a rolling pin and place a few slices of mutton fat over it, which have been previously soaked for 2 or 3 hours in port wine.
Sprinkle with a little ground allspice and pepper, roll the meat up and bind and tie it securely.
Put it into a saucepan with the bone and the weak stock or gravy, whole allspice, black pepper and port wine.
Cover closely with a lid and simmer, very gently, from 3½ to 4 hours.
When quite tender, take off the tape and dish the meat.
Strain the gravy over it and serve it to table with redcurrant jelly.
Unless the joint is very fat, the above is the best mode of cooking it.
Time: 3½ to 4 hours.
Sufficient for 10 or 12 persons.
Seasonable. Buck venison, from June to Michaelmas; doe venison, from November to the end of January.

Oooh... that looks like it could be really good. Next time I get some venison and have some mutton fat handy I'll have to try it. Must have a little chat with my mum... there is usually some fatty mutton and possibly a random bit of venison in her freezer.

The method I suggested does work (I've done it a few times) and is good for most game (pheasant, rabbit, pigeon etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back