veggie christmas (3 Viewers)

Shine said:
Ok - as promised: Mammy Shine's Veggie MushLoaf

She rang me back today - d'ye have a pen says she, aye says i, right says she, one pound of mushrooms... what's that in new money says i, ahhh jaysus says she, do i have to go and get me other scales? hang on....
sooo

1lb (~450gm) mushrooms
1 onion - chopped
2 cloves garlic - chopped
1 small pack mixed chopped nuts (4oz/100ish gm)
8oz (~250gm) breadcrumbs
~2 desertspoons mixed herbs
handfull of chopped parsley
2 eggs - beaten
2 teasp wostershire sauce

Fry the mushrooms - in two lots so they dont go runny and soggy. Fry the onion and garlic. Take a big mixing bowl - dump in and mix all the dry ingredients - nuts, breadcrumbs, mixed herbs and parsley. Stick the fried stuff in and mix. Then mix in the beaten eggs and woster sauce.
Put the whole lot in a 2oz loaf tin. If you don't have one of these, stick two large foil containers from a takeaway together - they work grand - use two though so the outside of the loaf doesnt burn. Bake in an oven preheated to 180 degrees for about 3/4 of an hour.
Et voila.
Dead easy Yum yums.
If your christmas oven is pushed for space, this versatile little number can be cooked the day before and just reheat a slice or two on christmas (microwave or fry in butter). If you have any leftovers, it freezes really well too- freeze in slices tho silly!
Enjoy xxx

i have to say that sounds amazing. but i hate mushrooms (code ninja will agree with me on that.) d'ye reckon it would be as tasty if you substituted the mush for, say, potatoes? or oooohhh, maybe pumpkin? have you ever had it with anything else instead of mushrooms?ps your ma sounds like a legend. :)
ICANNOTWAITTOHAVECHRISTMASDINNEROHMYGODYUMMMMMMMMM

Eoddy Gorilla said:
Eh..yeh..you made me go veggie, yeh!

See ya on the 28th!
You stayin' after?

Yeh I am. Are you staying as well? Yeow! Glad to know I'm not gonna be staying on my own

Ciaran Mackle said:
One of those quorn chicken substitutes with lots of flavourings and shit over it and then all the rest of the Christmas dinner delights. First Veggie Christmas for me

Mackle you'll need something better than that, those quorn chicken things are far too dry and I'd hate to see you not enjoy christmas.

Get some of this into you..
http://www.vegsoc.org/info/xmas.html

the quorn garlic and herb fillets and chicken nugget things are without doubt my favourite frozen fake meat thing. mmmm.

i wanted to eat burritos or something rediculous at the chrimbo dinner table this year but the mother has already stocked the fridge with fancy m&s veggie meals.

Carrot and butternut squash soup
Tomato and butterbean nut roast, stuffing, all de vegetables with veggie gravy
tropical vegetarian jelly

do nutroast leftovers make good sandwhiches?

cookiemonster said:
Goodall's worcestershire sauce is anchovy free, available in dunnes & tesco.

yeah - thanks to u and aoife for pointing that out about the sauce (that i missspelled...) also i should mention you need to slice the mushrooms!
La La - dunno about any substitutes for mushrooms in the recipe- they're absolutely nutrition-free but have a good consistency for this type of thing. I'm sure a little scoot around the internet would reveal gazillions of good mushie-free recipes. And being as it's late christmas eve, i'm sure tis all decided upon already! Merry Christmas all.

My nutroast is just finished. made it with loads of veggies, lentils, nuts, breadcrumbs and herbs. Results pending. More news tomorrow.

Decided on our menu just today:

A mega tasty spinach soup with mushrooms and leek as a starter, along with vol au vents with various cheesey/nutty/fruity fillings.
With the nutroast, as sides, we're having roasted winter veg and grilled skewered mediterranean veg and haloumi with sauces. And spuds in various guises, obviously.

And at times I feel terrible because somewhere out there is a young man eating maltana with a knife and fork while I, feeling blessed, prepare this feast. Dear lord, send him some cheese.

Hope you all have lovely christmas dinners duders.
x

i made brokey army's recipe today, it's sitting in a casserole overnight at the moment because i've a feeling it's one of those things that improves by being reheated the next day - the flavours come out better if it's let sit for a while. type thing. tastes great now though. yum yum. stealing the mammy's roast potatoes tomorrow will round it out great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back