veggie christmas (1 Viewer)

mazzyianne

Website
Visit site
So what are the veggies eatin'?
I always have to cook for my bro too coz he's also veggie but a fussy bastard. So if I can make him eat nut roast I'll be doing well.

Might just get one of the health food shop ones seeing as I've exams til the lasy minute and no time to think.
Unless anyone can give me a fantasic recipie....:D

yumyumyum

oh oh oh.

my girlfriend has a rapid recipie for a yummy seasonal stew using chikpeas and veggie sausages and wine.

can't remember it though.

but yea, i think i'm having that.

and booooooze

One of those quorn chicken substitutes with lots of flavourings and shit over it and then all the rest of the Christmas dinner delights. First Veggie Christmas for me

I was looking for images of quorn food and I found this

quorn.gif

hanley said:
do you think your missing out in a bit of christmas being a vegetarian?

(serious question)

Do you think you're missing out on being a caring soul, eating meat?

for serious but. No. I hate meat, and therefore don't feel like I'm missing anything. Food's what you make of it. It aint the boss of occasions.

Mazzyianne, if you do an advanced search there's plenty of Veggie xmas recipes floating around the forum

hanley said:
do you think your missing out in a bit of christmas being a vegetarian?

(serious question)

Rolls eyes ad infinitum.

My friend got me a tofurkey for Christmas. There'll be a lot of yumy veggie food on the go in my parents house on Xmas day, as half my family are vegetarians, so I probably won't even bother with the turkey. Tradition may dictate that certain things should be eaten for Chritmas dinner, but my family's tradition is to eat whichever delicious grub we favour. I think that's way better than a bit of turkey and ham.

best answer.

unfortunately, I usually buckle on christmas day :eek: but I tend to feel bad about it afterwards... so hopefully I can resist this year. the family pressure is hard to deflect though. "ah go on, it's christmas, look at all the hard work that went into this wonderful meal etc. etc." blah, blah, blah...

darragh said:
best answer.

unfortunately, I usually buckle on christmas day :eek: but I tend to feel bad about it afterwards... so hopefully I can resist this year. the family pressure is hard to deflect though. "ah go on, it's christmas, look at all the hard work that went into this wonderful meal etc. etc." blah, blah, blah...

Really - they're being kindof hard on you - don't feel bad though - no extra turkeys were killed in the making of this one meal etc etc..
I remember my first veggie christmas - aged 11 - was pretty hard - and they were all trying to goad me... It's the whole tradition thing that gets you i suppose it's hard to opt out like some kind of kill-joy. (I was also a solid carnivore before i became veggie - so felt taunted - especially by the smell of fried turkey on leftever day...) AAAnyway - my mam came through - like the cool dude she is - and she's been making the same christmas veggie option for 16 odd years now for me and my little friend down the road (who is no longer my little friend down the road). It's a mushroom nut loaf - so not everyones cuppa t but its yuuummmy if u like mushrooms and nuts! And it's nice 'cos it's tradition now - and tradition and family and stuff is what this time o year's all about... so i get mushy loaf, veggie gravy, stuffing cooked separate in some tin foil and all the veggies and trimmings and stuff...
Here's the recipe:
Shite nope - i couldn't get thru to me mam - recipe tomorrow k :D

i think that stew i was talking about was an adaptation of a spanish coirzo and chick pea stew. slow cook for extra yum

chickpea and sausage stew

Olive oil - 2 tablespoons
Red onions - 2 medium, chopped finely
tofu sausages - 2 sausages (such as cauldron tofu lincolnshire), sliced
Garlic - 2 cloves, sliced
Smoked paprika - 1 teaspoon
Chilli powder - ½ teaspoon
Chickpeas - 2 cans
Tomatoes - 2 chopped cans
Spinach - 1 bag, washed and chopped
Lemon - ½

Heat olive oil in large deep frying pan and add red onions. Fry over medium heat until soft then add sausages and garlic. Fry until cooked, add spices and fry for one minute. Add the chickpeas and tomatoes (and dried chorizo, if using), stir to combine and bubble over a low heat for about 20 minutes. Add the spinach and put the lid on the pan to wilt it. Turn up the heat and simmer off any juices released by the spinach. Squeeze the lemon over, stir, and serve with roast patatas andall that other stuff.

broken arm said:
i think that stew i was talking about was an adaptation of a spanish coirzo and chick pea stew. slow cook for extra yum

chickpea and sausage stew

Olive oil - 2 tablespoons
Red onions - 2 medium, chopped finely
tofu sausages - 2 sausages (such as cauldron tofu lincolnshire), sliced
Garlic - 2 cloves, sliced
Smoked paprika - 1 teaspoon
Chilli powder - ½ teaspoon
Chickpeas - 2 cans
Tomatoes - 2 chopped cans
Spinach - 1 bag, washed and chopped
Lemon - ½

Heat olive oil in large deep frying pan and add red onions. Fry over medium heat until soft then add sausages and garlic. Fry until cooked, add spices and fry for one minute. Add the chickpeas and tomatoes (and dried chorizo, if using), stir to combine and bubble over a low heat for about 20 minutes. Add the spinach and put the lid on the pan to wilt it. Turn up the heat and simmer off any juices released by the spinach. Squeeze the lemon over, stir, and serve with roast patatas andall that other stuff.
dear army,
i wuv you vewy vewy much.
wuv,
wiadain.

mazzyianne said:
No

(serious answer)

Sorry, didnt mean to sound so mean there. oops:eek: I get defensive of the veggieism this time o year.

I don't miss it coz I always make something nice. I love the veggies and gravy mmmmmmmmmmmmmm and stuffing and bread sauce (does anyone else eat this for christmas?) and all the chocolatemmmmmmmmmmmm...

every christmas i always eat about 20 roast spuds, this amazing leek and potato pie the aunt makes, along with a fuckload of gravy, carrots, broccoli and tomato soup. absolut yum.

brussel sprouts are prepared and cooked every year. no one ever touches them. but they're there, on the table, every year...

ohmygodilovechristmasdinner

La La said:
brussel sprouts are prepared and cooked every year. no one ever touches them. but they're there, on the table, every year...

i eat the brussel sprouts.

usually because i'm pished.

Ok - as promised: Mammy Shine's Veggie MushLoaf

She rang me back today - d'ye have a pen says she, aye says i, right says she, one pound of mushrooms... what's that in new money says i, ahhh jaysus says she, do i have to go and get me other scales? hang on....
sooo

1lb (~450gm) mushrooms
1 onion - chopped
2 cloves garlic - chopped
1 small pack mixed chopped nuts (4oz/100ish gm)
8oz (~250gm) breadcrumbs
~2 desertspoons mixed herbs
handfull of chopped parsley
2 eggs - beaten
2 teasp wostershire sauce

Fry the mushrooms - in two lots so they dont go runny and soggy. Fry the onion and garlic. Take a big mixing bowl - dump in and mix all the dry ingredients - nuts, breadcrumbs, mixed herbs and parsley. Stick the fried stuff in and mix. Then mix in the beaten eggs and woster sauce.
Put the whole lot in a 2oz loaf tin. If you don't have one of these, stick two large foil containers from a takeaway together - they work grand - use two though so the outside of the loaf doesnt burn. Bake in an oven preheated to 180 degrees for about 3/4 of an hour.
Et voila.
Dead easy Yum yums.
If your christmas oven is pushed for space, this versatile little number can be cooked the day before and just reheat a slice or two on christmas (microwave or fry in butter). If you have any leftovers, it freezes really well too- freeze in slices tho silly!
Enjoy xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back