van owners, questions, again. (1 Viewer)

ann post

Supporter
Solutions
licencing, insurance, tax.

can i drive a van on my regular car licence?? i know theres a weight cut off at 3500kg, so is anything under this grand??

does insurance cost more or less then a car?? i drive a 1.4 petrol at present and pay about 600E. is it possible to get 'occasional use' in the policy?? i only need it for weekends, i'm keeping the car for human moving.

tax, i know commercial tax is cheaper, do i need to prove its for work, or is it just a commercial full stop. for reference i'm swaying toward a second generation VW LT.

I drive a Fiesta 1.3 Petrol van and it's def harder to get private insurance for it but I did and said the van was for bringing my dogs to the beach etc, emphasise it's not for commercial use/gain.
€600 it cost which is dear enough as I am over 40 and have a clean license.
Another reason why private is better is because with commercial it has to have a NCT every year, even if it's new.

can i drive a van on my regular car licence?? i know theres a weight cut off at 3500kg, so is anything under this grand??

does insurance cost more or less then a car?? i drive a 1.4 petrol at present and pay about 600E. is it possible to get 'occasional use' in the policy?? i only need it for weekends, i'm keeping the car for human moving.

tax, i know commercial tax is cheaper, do i need to prove its for work, or is it just a commercial full stop. for reference i'm swaying toward a second generation VW LT.

Yes you can drive on a regular car licence. Very few vans go over the 3.5 ton limit. A single wheel VW LT long wheel base only weighs 2.1 tons. Insurance is less then a car. It is a commercial full stop, you don't need to prove anything. Be wise when you tell them what the work is as this will affect your quote. The test every year (DOE) is not half as stringent as the NCT and is very easy to pass. THings like rust and dents don't matter. You should look into the auctions for buying a van, due to all the builders going bust there are alot of nice vans going for really cheap. P.M me if you have any more questions. MORE VANS!!!

Yes you can drive on a regular car licence. Very few vans go over the 3.5 ton limit. A single wheel VW LT long wheel base only weighs 2.1 tons. Insurance is less then a car. It is a commercial full stop, you don't need to prove anything. Be wise when you tell them what the work is as this will affect your quote. The test every year (DOE) is not half as stringent as the NCT and is very easy to pass. THings like rust and dents don't matter. You should look into the auctions for buying a van, due to all the builders going bust there are alot of nice vans going for really cheap. P.M me if you have any more questions. MORE VANS!!!

Tax is cheaper for commercials. Tax is a fixed €270, no matter what size the van is, engine etc... So Tax is also cheaper. If you were to declare a 3 litre turbo diesel as private you would be crippled by the tax. THey get you at the tolls though

Right.....I just paid €312 I think.
You also get 2 hours on a loading bay with commercial yeah?
I know someone working in a insurance place must see what she thinks as you're tempting me to swap especially as I've never used a toll or drive out of Dublin!,
car is 3 years old now and is due an nct next year anyways...
My insurance is up next month...hope them 2 euros I've been saving in the pub bottle have added up!

/edit
Just checked and it's regged private....
I

thanks, will pm

would agree with all of this except the auction bit,there is a lot of vans goin at the mo but you d be better lookin out for one in the buy and sell or on the side of the road, the auctions i went to were full of sharks who all know each other and are all workin together ,lookin at ads and on the side of the road will take time but it could be worth the effort !!!!

If you have you have commercial insurance are you allowed drive in the phoenix park or is it just large commercial vehicles that are banned?

if you do get a shark will you get him a little friend named George??? it'd be so sad without company.

You should look into the auctions for buying a van, due to all the builders going bust there are alot of nice vans going for really cheap. P.M me if you have any more questions. MORE VANS!!!

Dealerships may also have a fair few coming back due to hire purchase agreements that didn't make the payments. That's how I got mine anyway.

My da bought a van from the irish wheelchair assosiation a couple of weeks ago. Its a savage!!! Double wheel rear axle thingy, 1.8 litre i think, solid wooden floor in the back with them metal rail things for putting as many/little seats in as you wand and a fully funtional wheelchair lift in the back that folds inside the van. All this for €700!!! Bargin

MORE VANS!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back