US politics (4 Viewers)

...by getting behind a billionaire

smart they ain't

I'm not sure about this "republican voters are stupid" and "why do they vote against their own self interest".

An analyis that depends on they are all thick and mis-informed isn't very helpful - even if for a liberal it's comforting and makes us feel superior.

You could easily make the same case that Democratic politicians have done fuck all for democratic voters and use hot button issues as a distraction..

When republican voters complain about the media they have a point. They media looks on them as idiotic, scum for supporting Trump.

It's like being the cooler then thou indie band who just can't believe that no one listens to them ..... and, we're way better to listen to, we have taste and if only people had taste too and didn't listen to crap they'd like us I'm sure of it and radio, radio plays crap all day that that's all people like.

I've made better too.
Still though - there something off about the notion that these people are voting against their self interest.
i don't get what you mean?

look at the UK--voted the fucking tories in

ireland--keeps voting FF/FG in

voting in pricks is what people do

i don't get what you mean?
look at the UK--voted the fucking tories in
ireland--keeps voting FF/FG in
voting in pricks is what people do

It's the notion that all these people are dumb rubes and are being swindled because they are dumb, and assuming they are just too distracted by flags and guns and Jesus to see beyond the bluster...

Without really understanding what these people want.

These people hate having a black intellectual president. Trumps shouty bluster isn't a bug - it's a feature. This is genuinely what they want, a self assured white guy. They are not being hoodwinked by bluster. They are not being tricked into voting against their own self interest by his showmanship, because his showmanship is what they like.

You mean Obama was a showman too but his showmanship was designed to appeal to a different demographic?

It's no dumber than voting for Bernie Sanders because unicorns of Hilary because feminism, or Obama because Hope.

The point is generally that they vote against their economic self-interest because the GOP appeals to their sense of being under attack from the other.
If you accept that economic growth is stronger under Dem presidents and unions and higher minimum wages are better for ordinary workers, then people in that demographic are better served by Democratic representatives.
Voters are sold blame and fear to vote for GOP, which is run by and for the rich.
Whether they hate Obama or not, their economic self-interest lies with the Democrats.
That's the thrust of the thesis.

The point is generally that they vote against their economic self-interest because the GOP appeals to their sense of being under attack from the other.
If you accept that economic growth is stronger under Dem presidents and unions and higher minimum wages are better for ordinary workers, then people in that demographic are better served by Democratic representatives.
Voters are sold blame and fear to vote for GOP, which is run by and for the rich.
Whether they hate Obama or not, their economic self-interest lies with the Democrats.
That's the thrust of the thesis.

Same could be said of wealthier democrat supporters, by supporting their party they're voting against their interests.

Unless you think a marginally fairer society is better for everyone I guess.

You mean Obama was a showman too but his showmanship was designed to appeal to a different demographic?

Well I like Obama, and would have voted for him and still have a yard sign from the first election at home.

and

He's an impressive guy.

Bui in that first election what actual experience had he. Sarah Palin was more qualified than he was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back