US politics (5 Viewers)

Thanks, I'll have to read those over the next couple of days.
He had a pop at Hillary Clinton/Saudi Arabia last week, that's worth something

Hillary Clinton, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee for 2016, should not be taking money from governments that abuse the rights of women, Paul said in his speech. “In countries that stone people to death for adultery and imprison people for adultery,” commented Paul, “this is the kind of thing you would think someone for women’s rights would be standing up against, instead of accepting thinly veiled bribes.”

Rand Paul Slams Saudi Arabia | The National Interest

The data on American political apathy is rather consistent, and stunning. Begin with the fact that even in presidential election years, 40 to 50 percent of the voting-age public simply chooses not participate in the voting process at all, while two-thirds chooses not to vote in midterm elections.

Even more striking is what they do and do not know. An Annenberg Public Policy Center poll from last September found that only 36 percent of Americans can name the three branches of government, and only 38 percent know the GOP controls the House. The Center’s 2011 poll “found just 15 percent of Americans could correctly identify the chief justice of the United States, John Roberts, while 27 percent knew Randy Jackson was a judge on American Idol.”

Why John Oliver Can't Find Americans Who Know Edward Snowden's Name (It's Not About Snowden) - The Intercept

Informative and WTF.
As an aside, is it only me that finds Oliver as funny as a kick in the balls?

I think he's a bit hit and miss but some of his stuff is very good. His recent tobacco episode was great, as well as the gun controll in Australia piece he did when he was at the Daily Show.

I hate that "scolding an imaginary thing" but he does 2-3 times and episode though.

I hate that "scolding an imaginary thing" but he does 2-3 times and episode though.
Spot on.
With a double-tap punch line at the end. It's grating.

I feel that's why he's so popular, he's 'sticking it to the man', or at least as much as can be expected of him.

Not quite. Plenty of people bitching about Wall St and climate change.
He highlights stuff like civil forfeiture and for-profit colleges that no one else does.

The Daily Show is the news. JO's show is the weekend magazine.
If that makes sense.

Not quite. Plenty of people bitching about Wall St and climate change.
He highlights stuff like civil forfeiture and for-profit colleges that no one else does.

The Daily Show is the news. JO's show is the weekend magazine.
If that makes sense.

I thought he had replaced The Daily Show. But given the names of the shows that was an extremely stupid thing to think. Embarrassed Emoji.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back