unions (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
the paper i work for is going through a 'period of readjustment' to put it lightly, and while the bullets are flying over my head, obviously i'm concerned about the well-being of my colleagues, there's alot of worry and whisperig and that sort of thing....they've just hired a group chief editor to start sacking, apparently. people have started talking about forming a union....but people at another rival paper who got the cogs in motion to start a union were sacked.

so im just wondering what your experiences with unions are, and what's the best way to approach the subject? im just fishing for info at this stage, some people here are still afraid to mention the U word.

afaik you can't be sacked for joining a union - unless you happened to sign a contract where you agreed to never joining a union.

La La said:
they werent sacked for joining one. they were sacked for holding meetings to talk about forming one

If you hold the meeting outside of company time, they can't touch you.
A similar thing happened at a company I worked for in 1992ish where all the technicians and engineers joined a union because of some trouble with management.
Appoint someone to contact a union. The union rep will tell them how to go about getting all the people who want into the union without crossing the company or doing anything which could result in grounds for dismissal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back