Tv Licence (2 Viewers)

I'd like the option of an opt out. I have a large widescreen monitor now just to prove i don't want any TV channels.

i think that's fair enough

I'd pay a radio licence if the option existed (begrudingly), but only because commercial radio is such an unbelieveable abomination.
I'd be delighted to pay for a BBC tv licence if I could, there's worthwhile broadcasting.
I'd pay TG4's proportion of the licence funding even.

None of them are an option though. You want to watch a DVD, you've got to fund RTE.

Also with all the bought in American shows on RTE2, what public service remit is it fulfilling?

I think there is a ton of stuff you get on RTE that, even if it doesn't appeal to you, you have to admit fulfils the public service broadcasting remit.

For example, having lived in the US for years the quality of news and current affairs coverage in Ireland is streets ahead of what you get on free commercial TV over there, and I think that's a direct reason the overall level of political discourse here is a lot higher than there (IMO).
Sports coverage is another obvious one, coverage of the arts, even childrens' TV...
As far as what you said about the beeb RTE definitely suffers in comparison in terms of the overall quality of the output, but the BBC have always been the standard bearers and obviously have a far bigger population and pool of funding, and despite the quality of their output plenty of people in the UK still resent paying a license fee regardless. Not to mention that you're not going to find Oireachtas report, Prime Time, Scannal, Reeling in the Years, documentaries on the Riordans etc etc on the BBC

The reality of Irish television without public funding is TV3.

They should really just put that on the TV licence ads.

On a football level it's Billo, John, Eamon and Graeme versus Trevor Welch and Packie Bonner.

I've no problem coughing up each year. In fact, I'd gladly pay an extra tenner to replace Ronnie Whelan.

I get that. Why does RTÉ have an orchestra?

They have several. There's at least 100 people in and working for the RTE Concert Orchestra and the RTE Symphony Orchestra. Then there's the studio crew that record all their rehearsals and concerts.

we got a letter recently but I will not bother paying while I am in rented accommodation. The letter is to "The Occupier". There's 4 of us in the gaff. They can shag off.

When I buy my own house I'll probably cough up.

I got a bit alarmed there when I read that you need a tv license for an internet capable computer. I thought it was bandied about but there was massive business opposition to it. anyway I had a bit of a look around and found this:

citizensinformation.ie said:
You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, you do require a licence if the computer is used together with any other apparatus to receive a signal.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/media/tv_licences

I'm presuming by "apparatus" they mean an arial and not a modem. of course presumption can be a dangerous thing. wonderfully soft language. I spent too much time last night reading similarly vague bullshit in the fucking NCT handbook last night about whether or not the spare tyre in your car is part of the test. the answer: no, but possibly yes.

if you have to make stupid rules at least write them properly.

How much is a TV licence?
How many do they sell each year?
What is gerry ryan's annual wage?

You see where i'm going with this?

how many listeners does gerry ryan's show attract every morning despite many of us finding him a contemptible prick? how much advertising revenue does that pull in for RTE? see where i'm going? (i don't know where i've got this urge to defend RTE all of a sudden)

i think that's fair enough

I think there is a ton of stuff you get on RTE that, even if it doesn't appeal to you, you have to admit fulfils the public service broadcasting remit.

For example, having lived in the US for years the quality of news and current affairs coverage in Ireland is streets ahead of what you get on free commercial TV over there, and I think that's a direct reason the overall level of political discourse here is a lot higher than there (IMO).
Sports coverage is another obvious one, coverage of the arts, even childrens' TV...
As far as what you said about the beeb RTE definitely suffers in comparison in terms of the overall quality of the output, but the BBC have always been the standard bearers and obviously have a far bigger population and pool of funding, and despite the quality of their output plenty of people in the UK still resent paying a license fee regardless. Not to mention that you're not going to find Oireachtas report, Prime Time, Scannal, Reeling in the Years, documentaries on the Riordans etc etc on the BBC

Good call. But do you not think TV3 and the like should get a few quid out of the licence? Is it not a bit unfair/market distortion/anti-competition the way it is at the moment. I can see a problem in that these channels and stations are on the stock exchange or are privately owned so you can't control where the money is going. Maybe have a case by case grant system for them? I.e. is it of cultural value etc.

Maybe have a case by case grant system for them? I.e. is it of cultural value etc.
Good idea, the stations could pitch their ideas to the dept of culture, arts and leisure. the dept keeps the money from the licences and gives it out accordingly. it'd encourage tv3 to make their own Irish shows and possibly create more of an opportunity for small independent projects.
probably wouldn't work though, as tv3 has its parent corporation to help them.

Good idea, the stations could pitch their ideas to the dept of culture, arts and leisure. the dept keeps the money from the licences and gives it out accordingly. it'd encourage tv3 to make their own Irish shows and possibly create more of an opportunity for small independent projects.
probably wouldn't work though, as tv3 has its parent corporation to help them.

Or the standards would be set so high that very little of it would be used for the purpose it was inended for and the balance would be put to other uses, like a new ministerial holiday fund (that's leisure after all).

Or the standards would be set so high that very little of it would be used for the purpose it was inended for and the balance would be put to other uses, like a new ministerial holiday fund (that's leisure after all).

Or more likely is an incoming government would make promises to cut bills and taxes, and as this is an easy one to cut, hey ho no arts programmes anymore.

The licence fee in the UK is seen as the 'least worst option' as having any government involvement in funding gives any government the ability to cut it when they desire.

Edit: actually the thing that always gets me is that people who moan about the licence fee quite often have Sky, which actually makes more money every year than the BBC (for example) but produces about 1/50th of the content.

Still - when murdoch needs a new boat who are we to complain!

Good call. But do you not think TV3 and the like should get a few quid out of the licence? Is it not a bit unfair/market distortion/anti-competition the way it is at the moment. I can see a problem in that these channels and stations are on the stock exchange or are privately owned so you can't control where the money is going. Maybe have a case by case grant system for them? I.e. is it of cultural value etc.

I don't see any reason that TV3 should get any of the license fee, no. When they came into existance there was no question of them ever getting a slice, nor should there be now. They are a commercial channel, and they make a profit, and the quality of their output is the reality of running a commercial TV station in a small market. Yes, they're at a big disadvantage compared to RTE, but I don't think diluting the public broadcasting remit over two different organisations is going to improve things for the viewers/listeners.

I mean, if TV3 were to get some of the license fee, where do you think that money would go currently? Most likely into buying rights to football coverage or stuff like Lost, Eastenders or whatever - stuff that RTE already have and/or do better anyway.

I watch the odd thing on TV3, but if it disappeared tomorrow it would be no big loss to the airwaves of the nation. RTE has a lot of flaws (lest it sound like I'm a total stooge for them here in this thread) but I just happen to feel strongly about the value of public broadcasting, and I think a lot of folks underestimate it in this country for various reasons.

a lot of folks underestimate it in this country for various reasons.

The main reason being that it's lack lustre?

Which is a nice way of saying that it's shit right down to the core, look at the lighting, editing and presentation. Even the way the news is discussed, i feel like i'm in montessori being taught how the world works. The odd jem is usually an exterior production company.

One can laud Reelin in the years but oh look what i FOUND. Before this recession began biting voices were being raised in the Dail about the terrible state of TV in this country.

Irish tv needs a complete overhaul and must stop taking templates from mainly Britain and regurgitating it all over our screens.

Dorty....that'l cost extra.

l_3c6dd30f1b424ccda01fdda318268810.jpg

heh......dorty.

Which is a nice way of saying that it's shit right down to the core, look at the lighting, editing and presentation. Even the way the news is discussed, i feel like i'm in montessori being taught how the world works. .

Let me get this straight - you find the discussion of news (I'm assuming you're talking about the main news bullitens, prime time, Q & A, the week in politics etc..) - you find it over-simplified for your tastes? or you feel patronised by it? What kind of coverage are you comparing it to or what would you hold up as good news coverage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back