Tv Licence (1 Viewer)

So what does the Tv License fee/tax or whatever it is actually go towards. Did governments think "wait a second, here is a product EVERYBODY is going to want to buy, we can/must make money off this"??????

Seriously though what is it for? Just another way to make some money? Why not have a kettle/toaster license aswell?

I'd suggest a wank tax but then Thumped might have to close because no one could afford a subscription.

So what does the Tv License fee/tax or whatever it is actually go towards. Did governments think "wait a second, here is a product EVERYBODY is going to want to buy, we can/must make money off this"??????

Seriously though what is it for? Just another way to make some money? Why not have a kettle/toaster license aswell?

the TV license is basically a direct contribution to public service broadcasting in Ireland. it's not a tax that goes into government coffers.

Cant ignore a court order
Renewing. Not 1st one

You never said you got a court order.
Being in contempt of court and An Post (or Thumped) are different things.

Probably not a good idea to ignore that, but for everyone else, if you don't want to pay your TV licence just don't open the door. This is good advice in general, I would say - since when are you on some random stranger's schedule?

The system of people that want to pay (or are afraid of getting caught) supporting the people who don't want to pay (and aren't scared of An Post) seems to work fine.

I'd like the option of an opt out. I have a large widescreen monitor now just to prove i don't want any TV channels.

Pretty sure i'm still liable though, seeing as there isn't a natural physical law making it impossible to screen RTE images on any AV device.

I'd pay a radio licence if the option existed (begrudingly), but only because commercial radio is such an unbelieveable abomination.
I'd be delighted to pay for a BBC tv licence if I could, there's worthwhile broadcasting.
I'd pay TG4's proportion of the licence funding even.

None of them are an option though. You want to watch a DVD, you've got to fund RTE.

Also with all the bought in American shows on RTE2, what public service remit is it fulfilling?

Are ya lookin?

PM5544-RTE.jpg

No lookin.

Right....everyone cough up. C'mom.

I'd imagine RTE make a profit on those, through advertising. It's your TG4s,Lyrics, Symphony Orchestra that needs your licence money.

but that takes in three of my most hated types of people!

Lyric / Symphony;
Classical fans - elitist snobs

TG4;
Irish speakers - who do they think they are
Galway people - up their own arse

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back