Tube amp volume jump (1 Viewer)

RayRay

Website
www.myspace.com
I've got a Fender Blues Deluxe, the amp is a beast only thing is there is a huge volume jump from "1" to "2" and i cant seem to get a happy medium between the two. Is this normal for a tube amp or should the volume be a gradual increase? In other words is my volume knob fucked/bandy and would it be worth my while opening her up to take a look (im nervous of this although i've done it before on solid states)?

You'd be right to nervous opening up a tube amp,they store a lot of power for a long time. Touch the wrong thing and youi'll know all about it.

My Marshall does the volume jump thing too.

I doubt its broken - if you were really bothered you could try switching the pot (linear for log or vice versa) mightnt make that much of a difference.

and dont open it without knowing what youre doing - the caps in tube amps can store 100+ Volts

thats typical for tube amps. you'll find as well that with those fenders and other tube amps, they get really loud up to around half way, then they don't get louder, just dirtier.

try dialling back the volume on your guitar. it should give you a little more control.

Yeah an audio taper pot might help, but... really that first kind of loud volume is the quietest you should be using your amp... the tone can def be a bit funny below that... so if you can hear it at 1, but the volume knob doesn't behave properly until two, you should be using it at minimum 2... it'll prolly not sound just quieter, but also thinner and a bit raspy... there's technical reason, but I can never remember what it is...

Basically you're sending to much of the signal to ground but I'll just agree with Gary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back