Troublemakers of the world - we bid you welcome (1 Viewer)

ah here, i know its none of my business but that's bad fucking form. if anyone I knew to be sound ever made the journey even to brittas bay i'd put them up and give them a meal. you're just a snob. punk, scene, zines, bands, involvement; all bullshit in this argument. we all know each other so whats the problem? It's not like people are wearing out their welcomes. did you not have visitors when you were little?

I really dont want to sound condisending Michelle, so I apologise now if I do, but what ya said above sounds a bit niaive , you obviously not experienced week upon week perticularly after gigs and stuff of complete nutjobs turning up to your door, who are mates of mates of "vomitface from bristol" or "skag" from cork, reckoning their entitled to kip on your floor,eat your food,piss all over your bathroom and not fuck off till three days later. Dont get me wrong I have no problem putting up people who I geninely know their mate or if someone is stuck for somewhere to stay and ask and seem sound, but alot of people just reckon they have a right to kip in your gaff cause their punk or whatever.
For the record I know Cormy years, were not mates or ought just knew him thru our tiny scene in Ros, and he's definatly not a snob or elitiest, I always found him fierce friendly and chatty

i had scientific bong stay in my house in limerick - NEVER AGAIN!!

but seriously, cormac is one of the soundest people (punk or not) that i know through the musics and nobody should feel any geographic or musical responsibility to let someone crash with them

did you not have visitors when you were little?

nobody's little anymone

I also :heart: Cormy

But since I don't think anyone looked at that link to the other thread here's the quote from ianbastardcore
gav send me a message honey !!! theres a show on tonight in UNGDOMSHUSET and you guys can stay at my place no problemo...
*sigh*

I have to agree with Cormac, his points are all completely bang on,and as Ed also said, people have the right to not let people stay at their gaff if they so choose.Presuming automatically that people will just put you up is pretty arrogant.Likewise,if you're not gonna make the effort with people, stop whinging about them being unfriendly.And believe me, as an elitist,snob, and incredibly unfriendly motherfucker ,I know what I'm talking about.

gav you are a complete twat.

why didnt you tell any of us that you had a problem with it when you were here?

Maybe no one asked you stay because they didnt have space / time to be a fuckin tourist guide for a weekend punk on their summer trip?? We had actual lives you know ??

Maybe no one asked you to stay because they didnt like you ?

You cant always blame it on "not being punk" maybe people just think your a boring cunt.

Sap.

I have to agree with Cormac, his points are all completely bang on,and as Ed also said, people have the right to not let people stay at their gaff if they so choose.Presuming automatically that people will just put you up is pretty arrogant.Likewise,if you're not gonna make the effort with people, stop whinging about them being unfriendly.And believe me, as an elitist,snob, and incredibly unfriendly motherfucker ,I know what I'm talking about.

word.

What? I don't recall you asking if we had a place for you to sleep, or even if there was somewhere other than a stairs where you could sleep.

I'm not a fuckin tour guide or a holiday rep. I'm a fuckin punk. If you want something, take it or ask for it. Am I supposed to bring you out for a 4-course meal and seek accomodation for you because you're from the same country as me?! Strangely enough, the elitist irish punks there mostly had/have pretty busy & active lives, jobs, bands & projects of their own and have better things to do than hold punk tourists' hands and give the guided tour.

I don't remember you striving to start any particular conversation or try to seek out common ground? Sure I don't even fucking know you other than as some chap who occasionally mumbled something when I'd say hello at my friends' squat in Dublin. If you were more "punk" maybe you wouldn't give a shit and take things as they come, try and actually make friends with someone rather than expect them to hand you some VIP ticket to a social scene on a silver platter!? The only reason people know me and make friends with me is because for many years I've done zines, bands, put on gigs and generally actually CONTRIBUTED to a scene rather than stand there with my hand out going "boo-hoo, what about me, where's my share?". Fucking hell.

It's easy to sit behind a computer screen whinging about how exclusivist everyone else is; go out and fuckin talk to someone or develop some sort of fucking interests to talk to people about or some shit!??!

Maybe I'll write a "social skills" zine next since I'm evidently such an elitist mover-and-shaker, would you like that yeah?

Wind yer baps up.

ah here, i know its none of my business but that's bad fucking form. if anyone I knew to be sound ever made the journey even to brittas bay i'd put them up and give them a meal. you're just a snob. punk, scene, zines, bands, involvement; all bullshit in this argument. we all know each other so whats the problem? It's not like people are wearing out their welcomes. did you not have visitors when you were little?

Fuck off.

Since I was 16 I put on bands & put them up in my parents' house in Roscommon, until my parents got pissed off and said "no more" (fair enough, it's their house they worked their whole lives to buy, can't blame them for not wanting smelly punks sitting around when they come down for their breakfast on a Saturday or Sunday morning).
Moved to Dublin, and put up loads of bands, friends & randomers on a weekly basis in Milltown. Moved to Leinster Square and had a motley collection of friends, bands, randomers and all-sorts getting drunk and staying there on a nightly basis.
Moved to Copenhagen and suddenly had loads of fuckin people I vaguely knew, friends of friends, people who'd read my zine etc ASWELL as a steady flow of my actual friends staying, and it was mostly grand.
Then someone I vaguely knew from Ireland e-mailed to say they were passing through and could I put them up for a while? Yeah, no bother, I said. They proceeded to stay for more than 3 weeks, not once buying or cooking food, not cleaning up, but still eating everything anyone else made and spending plenty of their money on fast food and constantly going drinking, not even getting me a drink at the pub until I was pissed and pointed out that it was pretty bad form to do all this, and it ended up with me being really pissed off at them and having to tell them why their behaviour was so out of order (the morning they were going) so that they wouldn't end up putting other people in such an awkward situation and end up with other previous friends/friendly-acquaintances getting pissed off at them. So after this I had considerable less time & patience with punk-tourist-freeloaders.
I've still had dozens and dozens of people stay, and when I had time amidst work, band commitments, studying and having my own life I've been more than happy to hang out with people and show them around. Fuckin K-Town festival, Ian & Agnes & myself had between 5 & 20 people staying in our apartment for more than 2 weeks; people they knew but I didn't, people I knew but they didn't, and people that none of us knew. Fuckin grand, but no-one can argue that it doesn't put a certain amount of strain on you, especially on someone who likes to spend a lot of time alone & in silence like myself.
So at this stage, yeah, if someone turns up and we hang out and they're into similar music, or getting pissed or stoned or taking drugs, or fuckin computer games/comics/warhammer, or psychedelic fiction or whatever, then I'll probably hang out with them and have a laugh. If they're into, I dunno, Paris '68 and Situationist Literature, or scrummy vegan recipes or riding their bikes into the sunset or whatever, then I'll probably be bored by them and would rather hang out with my friends.

I don't want to be fuckin condescending either, but since you brought this up, let me take a few guesses here: you're, what, 18 or 19, just finished school, moved out of home and got your own place, and the world is your fuckin oyster. We can all be great mates and get along. Everything's going to be fine and we'll all take care of each other.

No.

Most people are dickheads, and even if that doesn't stop me being friendly to them, it doesn't mean I'm going to continue to put myself far out of my way to accomodate them and be their tour guide. Club fuckin 18 To Crusty or some shit. We don't all know each other. There's a lot of fuckin fakes and dickheads around. Even your friends turn on you, stab you in the back, turn into junkies, lie about you, rob from you, and so on. People are constantly wearing out their welcomes and ruining it for everyone else, so prove yourself to be sound or piss off. Everybody gets just as much of a chance as everybody else, and prove themselves through their behaviour. It's not St. Vincent de fuckin Paul. That's my stance.

Maybe in 6 or 7 years you'll still be running around with a big smile on your face welcoming everyone, or maybe you'll be pissed off with it, or maybe you'll have a little wry smile while you tell your mates at the pub about the mad bitch you used to be. Why should I give a shit either way?

fine, grand, I get the point. (ps appreciate everyone elses replies too) I knew it was a stupid post but I suppose the real reason i replied was because your post just seemed so over the top aggro and i didn't really understand why. I don't understand how being idealistic or livin at home makes me some sort of yuppie passing through a scene. You knowingly failed in the not being condescending bit, but i wasn't expecting a whole lot when i seen the initial "fuck off"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back