Trigger Warning (1 Viewer)

I couldn't be more behind this from her though, on the boycott page

Yes, get out and do something. Anything.
Tangerine was made on an iPhone and people loved it.
Make great art. Tell your stories.
Make a movie on Vine, or whatever it is that you kids use now.
Make something the people you love can get behind and celebrate.
There's never been a time in history when society has been as receptive to LGBT and particularly trans issues.
Write that thing.

I'm willing to put up with your fight with Nooly but this greeting card wear sunscreen crap NEEDS TO STAY THE FUCK OFF THUMPED. Go post some inspirational quotes on facebook.

and fucking apologise to Pete.

I'm willing to put up with your fight with Nooly but this greeting card wear sunscreen crap NEEDS TO STAY THE FUCK OFF THUMPED. Go post some inspirational quotes on facebook.

and fucking apologise to Pete.
Well, I don't fucking know about you, Lili, but I believe the children are our future. So, you know.

Pete doesn't exist, he's an algorithm

THIS THREAD IS TIGGERING ME
99c1d8ce2f47717f8f40b075f8524b84.jpg

Not sure what to make of this
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Seems like just another pop video. This one appears to have a theme of a 40s Hollywood couple having a secret affair. The little I know about TS is that it's probably based on someone real she's dramatically and/or scandalously shagged.

Serious people have taken issue with it though
Taylor Swift Is Dreaming Of A Very White Africa
Across the continent, we are in the middle of an exciting African boom and atechnological and leadership renaissance of sorts, led by the children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the formerly colonized and enslaved. Waterfalls and mountains and majestic animals do not represent a full picture of our homelands.

Swift's music is entertaining for many. She should absolutely be able to use any location as a backdrop. But she packages our continent as the backdrop for her romantic songs devoid of any African person or storyline, and she sets the video in a time when the people depicted by Swift and her co-stars killed, dehumanized and traumatized millions of Africans. That is beyond problematic.

And then she decided to donate the proceeds from advertisements linked to her video to the charity African Parks Foundation of America. If you travel to some of Africa's parks, you'll see the rangers and guides are black Africans.

So why not show them in the video?

Concerns are clearly broader than parsing of the lyrics to play guess-who-Taylor-bonked for this writer.
I could quibble and say that she seems to be depicting people that are depicting people that killed, dehumanized and traumatized millions of Africans, but I don't think I'd be helping either case.

ANYWAY, absolutely the best bit is a guy in the comments who has gone through and counted all the black people in the video. (Internet commenters, I love you all)

"It has no underlying racist vibes or anything. And YES there are black people in this video - please go watch 00:25, 00:54, 1:32, 2:57 and 3:00 in the video and you will see."

Please take the few seconds and look at each example. It's wonderful on any number of levels.

Last edited:
Please take the few seconds and look at each example. It's wonderful on any number of levels.

oh... my... god

Anyway, yeah it's hard to disagree with anything said in that thinkpiece aside from, as you said, the fact that she's playing an actor in it. I suppose on the one hand I think it's just harmless nostalgia for hollywood glamour in a fucking pop video but, on the other, maybe it's time we got over nostalgia for racist, homophobic, sexist time periods...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back