Trigger Warning (1 Viewer)

it's not a turnaround; it's from two weeks ago
It's consistent with a boycott? The boycott is also from two weeks ago.

So she read the assurances of the people involved, wished them well and then organised a boycott?
Or organised a boycott, and read Emmerich's reaction to the trailer criticism and then said hopeful things, while leaving the boycott in place?

Either way, the two don't live together.

Her position is that no one should go see this movie because it erases history, but she truly hopes it's a great one that will strengthen a true understanding of LGBT history. Which she'll find out from traitors who break the boycott.

I'm glad she's being so clear about this.

you're bitching about a boycott of a film which hasn't been released yet. meanwhile you haven't even bothered to read the rationale before going off on one about it, even though it's readily available.

I couldn't be more behind this from her though, on the boycott page

Tell your own history! Use social media to recall what you know to be true of Stonewall. Film your own short films. Make videos, write poems, sing songs. CONTINUE TO TEACH TRUE HISTORY.

Yes, get out and do something. Anything.
Tangerine was made on an iPhone and people loved it.
Make great art. Tell your stories.
Make a movie on Vine, or whatever it is that you kids use now.
Make something the people you love can get behind and celebrate.
There's never been a time in history when society has been as receptive to LGBT and particularly trans issues.
Write that thing.

you're bitching about a boycott of a film which hasn't been released yet. meanwhile you haven't even bothered to read the rationale before going off on one about it, even though it's readily available.

I've read through the boycott page more than once.
And a bunch of stories on queer sites and the like and all through the comment sections. Something like this, the comment section fucking rules.

She's still being staggeringly inconsistent though. Don't see this movie which I hope will be great and important to the issues I care about.

congrats on finally actually looking at the thing you're so worked up about.

where's that irony emoticon?
It's linked from the USA Today story. I read it right away, two or three nights ago.
I wouldn't take USA Today at their word. I read her whole thing on Saturday after the bar. More than once. I'm not drinking, I need to occupy myself.

The reason I knew her hopeful statement was such a turnaround, was because I'd read her boycott statements right after I'd heard about it.
And a good number of the comments there too.

She's still being staggeringly inconsistent though. Don't see this movie which I hope will be great and important to the issues I care about.
the boycott is based on the trailer. the 'hopeful statement' is based on the screenwriter's response to the boycott explaining that erasing dark-skinned trans people from the trailer was just a simple everyday marketing necessity.

the boycott is based on the trailer. the 'hopeful statement' is based on the screenwriter's response to the boycott explaining that erasing dark-skinned trans people from the trailer was just a simple everyday marketing necessity.
So it came after Emmerich's reaction to the boycott.
And Pat's position remains that no one should see this movie while also hoping that it could be a truly great one for the LGBT community that she can wholeheartedly support.
Crystal clear there, Pat. Nice one.

to reiterate:

boycott: based on trailer
hope: based on assurance that trailer doesn't actually represent content of film

any lack of clarity originates with the filmmakers' choice of what to show in the trailer as compared to their claim of what is actually in the film

Classic Nooly

But you (Nooly) honestly don't see the dissonance in telling people not to go see something you (Pat) admit that could be a great LGBT story?

It screams inherent contradiction at me.
no

because the boycott was based on the only available evidence, and the later statement was based on assurances that the trailer doesn't actually represent the film, which can't be tested until the film is out.

no, just sensed from nearby
So the only way to know if the boycott was proper is to break the boycott itself.

It's almost like people seeing the movie and having a conversation about what's actually in it is a better thing than no one seeing it at all but hate it anyway.
Maybe that's a radical thought though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back