Tour de France 2007 thread (3 Viewers)

shocking story. I remember them 2 getting married, obviously both very high-profile sportspeople at the top of their game. Dennis was always a bit of a rogue and lots of people on shitter are saying he murdered her. I was tending not to give him the benefit of the doubt myself, but need to wait until more details emerged.

The gist I got was that he drove his car into her, not that she was holding on.

Regardless, its tragic that Melissa lost her life whatever the circumstances. RIP.

Jan Bogaert (1957 - 23 January 2024)
Belgian sprinter who was a prolific winner of Kermesse criteriums.

Bogaert best wins included 1982 GP E3, 1983 Scheldeprijs and a Tour de Suisse stage.
He rode two Giri and two Tours.

I used to confuse Jan Bogaert w/ Kurt Bogaerts (An Post-Sean Kelly manager and INEOS DS) and once said Kurt finished 2nd in the Amstel Gold.
It was actually Jan who was 1983 Amstel runner up.

Mountain stage 5 of Tour Colombia finished at about 9000 ft (2800+ metres) the guy who won is from a city at a similar altitude.
Loads of fans in the final kms. Lovely and green in Colombia even at that height. The wonderful RCN hombre and his amigos supply the commentary.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Gordon Singleton (1956 - 24 March 2024).
Japanese track sprint legend Koichi Nakano dominated pro sprinting in the late 1970's and 80's. For a while a Canadian was his main rival.
The Nakano v Singleton rivalry came to a climax at the pro World Champs which were held at the old outdoor Leicester Velodrome in 1982. AFAIK this was held in conjunction with the road World Champs when Saronni beat LeMond and Kelly in Goodwood. This is a nerdy piece of UK cycling history I know about from reading old cycling magazines talking about even older cycling times:

Leicester Velodrome 1982:
Koichi Nakano v Gordon Singleton
Sprint Final (best of 3).
There are crashes in this @2:18 and @9:00.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Leicester Velodrome 1967-1999 was demolished 2008.

Just after 3:30 pm GMT today there was serious crash in stage 4 at front of the Tour of the Basque Country on a dangerous corner on a fast descent.
Some of the riders inc. Roglic ended up in a drain and Vinegaard looks in a very bad way among others.
No one was left unconscious but multiple lads taken away in ambulances.
Race was neutralised a few km later.
Crash happened during an advert break on Eurosport.
Evenepoel was lucky he wasn't taken out as well due to his amazing bike handling.
Had to leave home about 4 pm not sure what developments there's been since

Sorry a few bits of duff info in above post. There was of course a break up the road when crash happened and Remco did come off off road among trees and was lucky he didn't collide with a tree and has a broken collarbone as does Roglic and Vingegaard.
I saw race was neutralised and only had 5-10 mins to rewind TV and see what happened.

Alexey Tsatevich (5 July 1989 - 8 April 2024)
Former Katusha and Gazprom rider has died aged 34. I don't remember Alexey to be honest.
Alexey was primarily a sprinter with three good pro wins - Le Samyn in 2013 and a stage of the 2016 Volta a Catalunya (final Barcelona stage) and a stage of Lombardy Week. He also rode the Giro twice. In debut Giro his own Katusha team ejected him from the race in strange circumstances for excessive slipstreaming.

Alexey Tsatevich (5 July 1989 - 8 April 2024)
Former Katusha and Gazprom rider has died aged 34. I don't remember Alexey to be honest.
Alexey was primarily a sprinter with three good pro wins - Le Samyn in 2013 and a stage of the 2016 Volta a Catalunya (final Barcelona stage) and a stage of Lombardy Week. He also rode the Giro twice. In debut Giro his own Katusha team ejected him from the race in strange circumstances for excessive slipstreaming.
don't remember him either and I was fairly clued in back then. Seems like he was talented, but a bit of a handful to manage. 35 is no age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back