Torrents, a couple of questions (1 Viewer)

shower another shower

Using Vuse to download torrents. Search results have, say, 20 odd seeds and a few peers. click to download and then it comes up '0 of 3 seeds' and '1 of 3 peers'. Fucking download speed says '3.2kBs/s, eta 1d16h'.
When I check my connection on speedtest.net, it says I'm get '2mb/s download' approx.
not sure I understand the whole seed/peer/swarm thing.
any way of making this process happen more quickly?
thanks.

not really. best ignore them, the speed goes up and down every second depending on a who's go their computer on or not. they speed up near the middle usually, but really, ignoring them is the way to a peaceful life. do seed using vuze, i feel like it treats you nicer when you have a good seed percentage.

you *may* need to do something called port forwarding with your router to speed things up. can be tricky, have a look here http://portforward.com/

a lot of torrent sites, i think, throw up fake results. for tv shows, thepiratebay.org, or immortalseed.com are prob safe bets. immortalseed is great actually, always superfast downloads, but remember not to delete the torrent as soon as it's downloaded, they like you to keep sharing for a while.
i think http://www.utorrent.com/ is one of the better programs to use too.

oh also! make sure and install peerblock from peerblock.com, so your ISP can't see what you're getting up to!

Dudley makes a good point, ditch Vuze. My major gripe with it is that's is a memory hog. utorrent on windows and transmission on os x are my torrent clients of choice. Transmission has a blocklist built into it for no need for 3rd party apps.

I really don't understand how things like peerblock.com works...

People gte caught d/ling vis torrents from 'honeypot' uploads from the film distributor. You need to connect to th - how can it still do that aem to transfer the data how can it still do that and mask you IP addy?

I really don't understand how things like peerblock.com works...

People gte caught d/ling vis torrents from 'honeypot' uploads from the film distributor. You need to connect to th - how can it still do that aem to transfer the data how can it still do that and mask you IP addy?

peerblock doesn't mask your IP, it's a DB of known IPs that are out there to catch some unsuspecting downloader. peerblock will scan the IPs of those in a torrent swarm and won't connect to any known bad ones.

peerblock doesn't mask your IP, it's a DB of known IPs that are out there to catch some unsuspecting downloader. peerblock will scan the IPs of those in a torrent swarm and won't connect to any known bad ones.

more specifically - it won't let the undesirables it knows of connect to you & download from you. Nothing will prevent a dodgy peer retrieving a list of other peers for a given torrent from the tracker, but the only way they can verify if another peer is uploading is to connect and see. Peerblocker attempts to prevent this.

And bear in mind that it's effectively a software firewall and there's going to be a shitload of other possibly unwanted blocking going on too (e.g. the old PeerGuardian lists used to block all of Valve's Steam network, so you couldn't play online, or even log in to Steam). Just remember that it's running and if you notice stuff not working, switch it off and see...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back