Tom Waits or Leonard Cohen (1 Viewer)

tom waits voice wrecks my head

Jimcorr said:
Whose the Man?

If they were both playing Dublin the same night, same price, similar venues, who would you go see?

I'd go for Len myself. Pure poetry...

Yeah, whats THAT all about. That sort of carry on annoys me cause there is no need for it. Those songs could be so much better with real instruments. I'd love to see him with just a guitar, female backing singer, cello player, maybe a trumpeter dude. That's be class.

egg_ said:
Think I'd go for Tom, cos he'd most likely have a better band - Len's Ten New Songs has amazing songs but dreadful programmed music instead of musicians

I know the whole programmed thing is a bit incongruous, but if you're into the French style of songwriting of guys his age it makes sense. Okay, he's Canadian, but he's hugely popular in France, and people like Serge Gainsbourg aren't a million miles away - masculine tales of lost love, drinking, fucking in bathrooms, etc. And Lenny's done this before - check out First We Take Manhattan for example. France is the capital of cheesy prog synth I reckon. Having said that, I think Lenny is brilliant but I'd sooner see Tom live because a) he's not got long left and b) I'd say he's great live. Oh and in the long run I think I prefer his style.

snakybus said:
I know the whole programmed thing is a bit incongruous, but if you're into the French style of songwriting of guys his age it makes sense. Okay, he's Canadian, but he's hugely popular in France, and people like Serge Gainsbourg aren't a million miles away - masculine tales of lost love, drinking, fucking in bathrooms, etc. And Lenny's done this before - check out First We Take Manhattan for example. France is the capital of cheesy prog synth I reckon. Having said that, I think Lenny is brilliant but I'd sooner see Tom live because a) he's not got long left and b) I'd say he's great live. Oh and in the long run I think I prefer his style.
You should work for the "Don't go and see Leonard cohen gig" company - you're dead good at describing how crap his music is

veryslowey said:
At least tom Waits has a sense of humour - why hasnt leonard killed himself yet? Maybe he'll throw himself in the liffey when he realises everyone's gone to see tom waits instead going for a nap at his gig.
Cohen has a sense of humour! Haven't you ever heard Don't Go Home With Your Hard-On?? In fact, that whole album he did with Phil Spector is a joke.

snakybus said:
I think Lenny is brilliant
So do I - IMHO he's a better songwriter than Tom, but Tom's stuff sounds better, and is more fun, so I'd be more inclined to choose him if gigs clashed. I think Len is so focussed on The Song that he doesn't give a shit how it's presented when he finally gets it written - read an interview with him once on his painstaking songwriting process, seems his personal life has fallen apart because all he ever thinks about is The Song

P. Littbarski said:
there is no contest here

I'd choose the demented genius that is Tom Waits over the depressing poetic musings of Leonrard Cohen any day.
--------------------------------------------
Ah yeah, but Leonard Cohen wrote this....

ONE OF US CANNOT BE WRONG

I lit a thin green candle, to make you jealous of me.
But the room just filled up with mosquitoes,
they heard that my body was free.
Then I took the dust of a long sleepless night
and I put it in your little shoe.
And then I confess that I tortured the dress
that you wore for the world to look through.

I showed my heart to the doctor: he said I just have to quit.
Then he wrote himself a prescription,
and your name was mentioned in it!
Then he locked himself in a library shelf
with the details of our honeymoon,
and I hear from the nurse that he's gotten much worse
and his practice is all in a ruin.

I heard of a saint who had loved you,
so I studied all night in his school.
He taught that the duty of lovers
is to tarnish the golden rule.
And just when I was sure that his teachings were pure
he drowned himself in the pool.
His body is gone but back here on the lawn
his spirit continues to drool.

An Eskimo showed me a movie
he'd recently taken of you:
the poor man could hardly stop shivering,
his lips and his fingers were blue.
I suppose that he froze when the wind took your clothes
and I guess he just never got warm.
But you stand there so nice, in your blizzard of ice,
oh please let me come into the storm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back