To D200 Or Not (1 Viewer)

I don't have one but would like one!

Can i ask you a question though, D70? How are you finding it. I am thinking of trading in Canon 350D for D70s. RSJ has given me some good advice but just wanna get some more opinions on the D70s regarding shite noise levels for example - taking shots at gigs (darker environments). Any opinions on this?

Shay: I've been looking into this and people say not to bother - much better off buying some new glass UNLESS you're going blowing stuff up and *really* need the extra few megapixels. Here's some extracts off a flickr thread i started in the nikon digital group

Agree with rockphotog, spend the money on glass. The D200 is a brilliant camera but most of the extra cost is justified in the control you have over settings (dedicated buttons to shift autofocus type for instance), unless you are looking to make huge prints from your work, you don't need the extra quality the D200 delivers... So spend the money on a great lens, shoot with that and your D70 (still a fantastic camera)...

I'm currently saving for this. Gonna be freaken sweet.

The D200 is a lovely camera. Had a go of a friend's. I've never used a D70 or s so can't compare.

Still, I'd probably go the new lens route first myself as the lads suggest. At least what you should do is go into conn's or jessop's and ask can you try the lens on your D70 and take some test shots. Or hire one out (they usually take the hire price off the new lens if you buy).

Then decide.

Could make the world of difference.

i'd agree with what everyone else is saying - unless there is a feature on the D200 which you don't already have, which you *must* have, or if you're blowing stuff up past 8"x12" on a regular basis, you'd be throwing money away getting it.

Shay, just seen some comparision site for the D200 against other cameras. Check out the Ken Rockwell comparisons of ISO1600 noise between the D70 and D200 (and a bunch of canons)

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/dslr-comparison/us.htm

d70-1600-DSC_8477.jpg
d200-1600-DSC_4350.jpg

Hey shay, you got one of these didn't ya? How's it working out for you? Currently debating between getting some pro glass or finally upgrading either to the D200 or going canon. My shots from fest this year were absolutley browned with noise, so something needs to be done.

Hey shay, you got one of these didn't ya? How's it working out for you? Currently debating between getting some pro glass or finally upgrading either to the D200 or going canon. My shots from fest this year were absolutley browned with noise, so something needs to be done.

dude, if you're gonna be shooting lots of gig shit in the states go with canon, pick yourself up a sigma 24-70 2.8 if you cant afford the canon version.
i tried out that 17-55 mm lens by the way, its amazing.

You're probably right. I have the sigma 17-55 but it's not as sharp as i'd like, current options are:

Get the nikon 17-55
Get the d200
Get the d300
Go nuts, get the d200 and the nikon 17-55
Get retarded, sell the whole lot, go canon

I think if i had the cash i'd sell the whole lot and go canon, but my d70's pretty fucked so it don't have much of a resale value. It's a hmmmmer.

Eep, went to get that card reader in me D70 fixed today and it's going to cost $250, whereas the bastard things are only going for around $300 on ebay. Looked at the D300. Niiiiiiiiiiice.

Haha good on ya shay!! Have now advanced to fretting between the D300 or the Canon 5d. Confused though about lens compatability for the 5d/canons in general - i know with nikons it's one size fits all, but canons have different mounts...? Also, will the same lenses fit the 5d and the other digital ones or will there be vingetting due to the full frame sensor? What lenses do i have to choose from here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back