Thumped daddies (1 Viewer)

Up for longer than I cared to be myself. Up late trying to teach my oul da how to use excel, then up a few more times to calls of "Dad! Dad! I've got sand in my eye OWWWWW!" Mrs egg_ took over though at some stage, thank christ

This sand-in-the-eye business has been going on for days, I dunno what the feck she's on about. Only seems to happen in the middle of the night

"I'm thirsty I want a drink of water"
"I want a BIG story about blackjack"
"Anna is waking me up"
"I want a cushion I'm not comfy"
"I don't want this teddy, I want LOTS of teddies"
"I have a sore finger"
"I want a hug"

and so on

Up for longer than I cared to be myself. Up late trying to teach my oul da how to use excel, then up a few more times to calls of "Dad! Dad! I've got sand in my eye OWWWWW!" Mrs egg_ took over though at some stage, thank christ

This sand-in-the-eye business has been going on for days, I dunno what the feck she's on about. Only seems to happen in the middle of the night

sounds like someone needs to gamble a stamp

atlas.jpg

it's called sleep. people get it in their eyes. metallica wrote some sandman song describing the whole terrible experience.

I've now been awake for 38 of the last 40 hours.
Hey Pete, here's what worked for us early on - The Bounce. Hold her in your arms on her back parallel to the ground and bounce up and down. Straight up and straight down now, no rocking back and forth - hey presto no more crying. You can sit on one of those big inflatable exercise balls to aid bouncing and ease the strain on your knees. Always always worked, and she'd doze off too - she'd wake up once you put her in the cot, but in an emergency I'd bounce her for an hour or two while Niamh slept, then Niamh would stick her on the boob while I slept.

We probably depended on it too much, and it took ages for her to start sleeping through the night but is sure helped keep us sane in the early days

I've now been awake for 38 of the last 40 hours.

go me.

The first thing to do is swaddle the baby: http://www.todaysparent.com/tools/video/swaddle.wmv

Second thing to do is create some white noise. An extractor fan over an oven at full blast works really well.

Third thing to do is hold her close to chest and on her side so that she's facing out from you. There's a particular angle you need to get, but it's about 70º or 80º.

Fourth thing to do is gently rock her back and forth. Like the Bounce that egg talked about.

And finally, if all else fails, stick a finger or thumb in her mouth (make sure your hands are really clean!).

The swaddling is the most important thing to do.

Basically the baby is completely freaked out because they've lived their whole life up to now in the womb.
The swaddling gives the cramped feeling they were used to.
The white noise is what they would have heard within the womb.
The angle you're holding them at is similar to how they felt they were positioned in the womb - if you have their ear close to your heart, it'll remind of the conditions.
And the gentle rocking is what they were used to when in the womb when the mother was walking about.

If you want to spend a bit of dosh, this is an excellent thing to get:

003nest.gif

The website is here: http://www.amby.co.uk/html/nest.html

A few good things about this... it isn't as severe as a crib or moses basket in that the mattress curves with the baby. The baby isn't used to lying on flat surfaces and basically gets annoyed when they have to.
The baby also can only lie on their back. They're not able to turn around - certainly for the first three to five months. So it means it's really, really safe. Safer than a crib.
You can also easily rock the baby in it because it's suspended from a spring.
And it lasts for up to a year old (you need to get a bigger spring for when they're about eight or nine months). This means you don't have to go and buy a cot at six months - it's the amby and then on to the cot-bed - so you don't have to spend €100 or so on the cot.
And... you can add a baby bouncer to it for when they're older.

The first thing to do is ...
... but keep in mind that none of this might work. Isabelle absolutely hated being swaddled when she was very small. She also hated being bathed, and rocking back and forth didn't work, it had to be bouncing UP AND DOWN AND UP AND DOWN AND UP AND DOWN x infinity

Try out Billy's suggestions (and mine), but all of them only work for some kids. It gets easier than this, but it might be a long while before it actually gets easy. Or just ignore all suggestions, I'm sure you're getting more advice than you can listen to

Oh god
We're doing this again next summer.

... but keep in mind that none of this might work. Isabelle absolutely hated being swaddled when she was very small. She also hated being bathed, and rocking back and forth didn't work, it had to be bouncing UP AND DOWN AND UP AND DOWN AND UP AND DOWN x infinity

Try out Billy's suggestions (and mine), but all of them only work for some kids. It gets easier than this, but it might be a long while before it actually gets easy. Or just ignore all suggestions, I'm sure you're getting more advice than you can listen to

Oh god
We're doing this again next summer.

I used to have to hum the theme tune to the Archers loudly for about three weeks.

These days it's Frank Sinatra.

Yep, it really does vary from child to child. My nephew would only go to sleep if you paced back and forth while holding him upright against your shoulder. Niece number one would only sleep if there was no-one around to distract her, with people in the room she wanted to know what was going on, niece number two goes to sleep if she's just being held.

Coco had cholic for her first three months. Herr Muther was breast feeding, so i took on nights. The only way to get her to sleep was by going up and down the stairs while rubbing her back. I did up and down 230 times one night, put her down and walked to work.

Pete, Boss, Gaffer. The best way to appraoch this is to come to terms with the fact that you will not sleep properly for the next 4 years. And you wont sleep at all for the first year. But you end up with superhuman levels of endurance. And Spartan thighs.

You get used to it. Some wierd shit kicks in and before you know it you're functioning perfectly on an average of 3 hours sleep for every 24. You're like Magaret thatcher during the Falklands, the Kennedies during the missle crisis, and Batman during a crimewave.

We are fucking superheroes.

You can do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back