Thumped Compilation Club (1 Viewer)

Donkey OJ

Thumped Compilation Club

Right! An idea that was mentioned here....... http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=216230#post216230 has taken its first tentative steps to realisation.

Heres the tracklisting of my first contribution.......

Title : Thumped1 – With Bits
Author : Donkey OJ
Tracklisting :

1. Ms John Soda .......................... Unsleeping
2. The Strokes ............................ The End Has No End
3. Queens of the Stone Age............ No One Knows
4. Lali Puna ................................ Contratempo
5. Jackie Mittoo .......................... Money Maker
6. Silver Apples........................... Program
7. Tortoise................................. BlackJack
8. John Frusciante....................... Murderers
9. Money Mark............................ Contraband
10. Pavement............................. Texas Never Whispers
11. torococorot........................... Cars
12. The Notwist.......................... Consequence
13. The Pixies............................. Brick Is Red
14. Pinback................................ Hurley
15. Somadrome.......................... Itchy Flaky Scalp
16. Figurine.............................. My Suitor
17. Neutral Milk Hotel................. Ghost
18. Iron and Wine...................... Such Great Heights (Postal Service)
19. Brad Mehldau....................... Paranoid Android for Piano (Radiohead)

So heres how I propose we do it. (If anyone thinks theres a better way of making this work, shout). I'll post 3 copies to the first 3 people who PM me their address. Then I'll post those names on thumped, within this thread so anyone else who wants a copy can PM their address to any 1 of those people and request it to be posted on to them once they've burned a copy. No one should have to post more than a couple of copies. Postage can be expensive if you dont have access to an unlocked franking machine :) If you are contacted for a copy you've spent your fair share on postage already, refer that person onto someone else who you know has a copy.

Success is based upon
a)people not holding onto a cd (if someone else requests it from you, burn yourself a copy and forward on the original)

and most importantly....

b)if you "order" and receive a cd from someone who has gone to the effort of putting it together and posting it to you, you should return the favour by creating a compilation of interesting music or your favourite tunes yourself and posting the tracklisting with a unique title and making it available on thumped. You'll have to cover the cost of postage to at most 3 people. The pool of CDs will hopefully increase so you could end up receiving 5 compilations of tasty tunage for every 1 you create.

For people who love music, giving and receiving compilations is fun. All the music that is talked about here is generally good music but from sometimes obscure or hard to get bands. For people without broadband access to download from fileshares, there's not a lot of other ways you might get to hear this music. This is what the Compilation Club is for. And for inspiring nerdy debate on dodgy/inspired choice of songs. Be as critical as you like about peoples choices but remember that you're getting it for (almost) free. I've been listening to this cd over the weekend and i love it. but i would say that.

Now who wants a copy of the first ever thumped compilation club CD posted to the privacy of your own home?

to those who PM'd me..... i'll have those cd's out to you by the end of the week. looking forward to hearing your compilations too.

yeah. great song. ben gibbard writes amazing songs that seem to stay great songs whether they're played on an unaccompanied acoustic guitar or backed by a full on electronic production. didnt know Iron&Wine were coming. Thanks for the headsup.

Igor said:
Hey! I just noticed this is one of them get-rich-quick pyramid (song) schemes, but with tunes! sweet
.|..|
its dairygold v kerrygold. i'm making love spreadable. can i interest you in a timeshare i court town?

right as promised heres the list of people i posted the first compilation out to.

igor
spady
dutchy
lorcanzo (honorary member due to foggy-notion shaped act of kindness)

so if anyone else wants a copy of the first compilation - track listing above - PM 1 of these guys and they'll sort you out. and to above listed recipients of spreadable love, you all in theory owe the collective a tasty compilation. so get cracking and post the track listing. we're all gonna be tune-millionaires soon. i promise you :)

any feedback on the first compliation?

ps - thanks pete / admin whoever made this thread sticky .|..|

I'll give this to whoever wants it?

attachment.php

Zita said:
This is such a cute idea. Next comp I make I'll share. So cute.
yeah. hopefully with a bit of effort on everyones part we can make it work. 1 new devils music compilation into your letter box each week would be deadly.
i look forward to hearing your personal selection of devil's music zita
:)

Title : Thumped Gently (music to garden-party to)
Author : LMD64
Tracklisting :

Air Mike Mills
Lemonjelly Oats
Dimitri From Paris Okinawa love feat. Kisen Horino
Bent So Long Without You
Lalo Schifrin Blues-A-Go-Go
Skalpel Stereo 1958
Manitoba Kid You'll Move Mountains
Susumu Yokota Naminote
Mr Scruff Beyond
Tosca Wonderful feat. Earl Zinger
The Dining Rooms You
Kid Loco Relaxin' With Cherry
Llorca Any How
Mylo Drop The Pressure

67 min playtime, or thereabouts

boigaz has a lot of deadly old ska/reggae 7"s that he should compile and distribute.
cyclotron should make compilations too - he has some amazing music - i have been waiting four years for one though

MrT said:
Now that lots of people have G-mail why not just e-mail them.
Or post a link somewhere?
i hear ya. but for me theres romance in someone building a physical cd and throwing it in the post and someone getting it thru their postbox on a wet september morning. its a hands on thing for me. going to the trouble to give something to someone and having the favour returned is what its all about. theres also the permanence of all the songs in 1 place. and the way they hang together in the sequence chosen. theres many compilation cds i've received / bought where theres a couple of tracks you initially dislike but eventually learn to love. thats why i'd prefer a cd over listening once to the mp3's and discarding the boring 1s. the little song who could will then get a chance.

by all means anyone who wants to link to the mp3s or mail them feel free.

here's mine. PM me if you want a copy

Title: Dallas Cowboys get thumped 50-12
Author: nlgbbbblth

01 Raymond Scott – Bufferin: “Memories” (Basta Audio Visuals)
02 CiM – Commuter Love (Focus)
03 John McEntire – Neutron (Bungalow)
04 Ballboy feat. Laura Cantrell – I Lost You But I Found Country Music (SL)
05 The Advocate – Devils (Slut Trax)
06 The Congos – At The Feast (Blood and Fire)
07 Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians – Lost Madonna Of The Wasps (A&M)
08 Tricky Disco – Tricky Disco (Plone Remix) (Warp)
09 Lightning Head – Me And Me Princess (Best Seven)
10 Dakota Oak Trio – Brownie And Sonny (Slut Trax)
11 Robert Pollard – A Trophy Mule In Particular (Needmore Songs)
12 Gescom – Keynell 3/4 (Skam)
13 The Barbarians – Moulty (Laurie Records)
14 The Fall – Blindness (Peel Session 12/8/04)
15 Robert Wyatt – Te Recuerdo Amanda (Rough Trade)
16 Culture – Two Sevens Clash (Lightning)
17 Half Man Half Biscuit – Vatican Broadside (Probe Plus)
18 Felt – All The People I Like Are Those That Are Dead (Creation)
19 Coldcut – Say Kids (What Time Is It?) (Ahead Of Our Time)
20 Primal Scream – Velocity Girl (Creation)
21 The Move – I Can Hear The Grass Grow (Deram)
22 Orange Juice – Falling And Laughing (Postcard)
23 Brian Eno – Another Green World (Virgin)
24 Young Marble Giants – Final Day (Rough Trade)

Donkey OJ said:
any feedback on the first compliation?
Yeah, cheers, some deadly stuff on this, especially the things i thought i wouldn't like but did!

Particularly liked: ms john soda, strokes track i didn't know, notwist, somadrone (sounding nothing like his live shows that i've seen, props!) iron and wine (as always) and brad mehldau's classy radiohead reconfiguring.

I'm only home today so no time to do you a return job yet but it's in the pipe, pm me yr postal and i'll send it tomorrow (i'll be out of the country by tuesday...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back