THREAD PULLS play ALL TOMORROWS PARTIES (3 Viewers)

kirstie said:
they were FUUUCCKKINGG AWFUL. Like a pub rock band or a wedding band, I expected them to do the hucklebuck any second.

:(

I ran screaming back to the bar after about 3 songs so maybe they improved. I kind of doubt it though.

I really do wonder about a lot of Vincent Gallo's record collection buh.

Ed said:

My own highlight had to be Afrirampo. Two Japanese women (one of whom was the best drummer I saw all weekend) who made a very tasty racket. One of those bands where, after they finish, everyone runs down to the merch stall and buys whatever they can get their hands on. (For instance, the t-shirt I'm wearing and the CD I'm currently listening to.)

Lydia Lunch was also awesome. In-your-face blues caterwauling backed by an absolutely crack band. John Foxx (and his very bouncy accomplice, who, if he had shorter hair, would be a dead ringer for Andy) showed exactly why he had so much influence on yesterday's and today's electronic producers. And James Chance & The Contortions can still rock the pants off any of the current crop of lame white-boy post-punk funkateers.

I was half-expecting Yoko Ono to be a self-indulgent mess, but I actually really liked her performance. She can still shriek with the best of them, and is pretty spry for a woman of 72. Overall, she was like a really cool avant-garde granny. And her backing band was a ATP all-star lineup: Sean Lennon, Vincent Gallo, Afrirampo, John Frusciante and Yuka Honda, all of whom were really good (although Frusciante could have shortened his wank guitar solo at the end...)

Peaches was, of course, utter shit. However, she wasn't as utter as the previous time I'd seen her, which was easily one of the worst and most embarassing performances I've ever seen. So she's improving, and at this rate, she might actually do a song I'd want to listen to in a couple of decades.

However, I did like her when she joined Suicide for "Frankie Teardrop". They were a bit too cabaret for me to have unreservedly liked them, but they put on a good show nonetheless.

The Zombies got by on pure likability and enthusiasm, which was good, 'cause by and large their music was pure cheese. Still, the version of Argent's "Hold Your Head Up" was fairly awesome, and "Time of the Season" worked pretty well, too.

Merzbow was good at what he did, but an hour of him was a bit much, as he'd pretty much gone through his ideas in 15 minutes. So it tended toward dullness by the end of his set.

Polly Jean Harvey's solo set was as expected: I liked the songs I normally like by her and I didn't like the songs I don't like. But I'm not her hugest fan to begin with.

Buck 65 sadly didn't perform with his band like he did at Glastonbury last year, but was quite good. He can still mix Tom Waits, Kool Keith and Woody Guthrie better than anyone.

Trapist was nice and mellow, exactly what my brain needed after getting only one hour of sleep after being up all of Saturday night. And even though I didn't see all of Olivia Tremor Control, what I caught was pretty good, in a psych-folk-rock vein.

Ellen Allien DJed on Saturday night, and it was the best of the three times I've seen her. She kept things going electro/techno all night without ever going for the microhouse/minimal techno crap that's supposedly all the rage nowadays.

Now for the bad: Autolux sounded like an inept Pixies cover band, Gang Gang Dance were totally bland, and I'm afraid that I still don't get Thread Pulls at all.

So, brilliant weekend. Now back to sobriety, clean living and reality...

Paul

i can't believe none of you losers didn't take the day off work.
what's kirstie harshing thread pulls for? i heard they were ok.

thought thread pulls did fab. afrirampo, magik markers, james chance were probly my favourite bits. zombies were quite cheezee, but that's ok, i nearly shat myself when they played 'hold yr head up' and... GOD GAVE ROCK'N'ROLL TO YOU! fogarty lost his mind, i lost my glasses and my dignity, but i didn't really want it anyway... danzig are playing in london, who's coming?!

lydia lunch was amazing, as was peaches and autolux. thread pulls were cool and got a really good reaction from the brits. fair play to them.

those of you i did meet for the first time, it was a pleasure.
im donagh by the way. drunk bloke with glasses and tats.

photon said:
My own highlight had to be Afrirampo. Two Japanese women (one of whom was the best drummer I saw all weekend) who made a very tasty racket. One of those bands where, after they finish, everyone runs down to the merch stall and buys whatever they can get their hands on. (For instance, the t-shirt I'm wearing and the CD I'm currently listening to.)

Lydia Lunch was also awesome. In-your-face blues caterwauling backed by an absolutely crack band. John Foxx (and his very bouncy accomplice, who, if he had shorter hair, would be a dead ringer for Andy) showed exactly why he had so much influence on yesterday's and today's electronic producers. And James Chance & The Contortions can still rock the pants off any of the current crop of lame white-boy post-punk funkateers.

I was half-expecting Yoko Ono to be a self-indulgent mess, but I actually really liked her performance. She can still shriek with the best of them, and is pretty spry for a woman of 72. Overall, she was like a really cool avant-garde granny. And her backing band was a ATP all-star lineup: Sean Lennon, Vincent Gallo, Afrirampo, John Frusciante and Yuka Honda, all of whom were really good (although Frusciante could have shortened his wank guitar solo at the end...)

Peaches was, of course, utter shit. However, she wasn't as utter as the previous time I'd seen her, which was easily one of the worst and most embarassing performances I've ever seen. So she's improving, and at this rate, she might actually do a song I'd want to listen to in a couple of decades.

However, I did like her when she joined Suicide for "Frankie Teardrop". They were a bit too cabaret for me to have unreservedly liked them, but they put on a good show nonetheless.

The Zombies got by on pure likability and enthusiasm, which was good, 'cause by and large their music was pure cheese. Still, the version of Argent's "Hold Your Head Up" was fairly awesome, and "Time of the Season" worked pretty well, too.

Merzbow was good at what he did, but an hour of him was a bit much, as he'd pretty much gone through his ideas in 15 minutes. So it tended toward dullness by the end of his set.

Polly Jean Harvey's solo set was as expected: I liked the songs I normally like by her and I didn't like the songs I don't like. But I'm not her hugest fan to begin with.

Buck 65 sadly didn't perform with his band like he did at Glastonbury last year, but was quite good. He can still mix Tom Waits, Kool Keith and Woody Guthrie better than anyone.

Trapist was nice and mellow, exactly what my brain needed after getting only one hour of sleep after being up all of Saturday night. And even though I didn't see all of Olivia Tremor Control, what I caught was pretty good, in a psych-folk-rock vein.

Ellen Allien DJed on Saturday night, and it was the best of the three times I've seen her. She kept things going electro/techno all night without ever going for the microhouse/minimal techno crap that's supposedly all the rage nowadays.

Now for the bad: Autolux sounded like an inept Pixies cover band, Gang Gang Dance were totally bland, and I'm afraid that I still don't get Thread Pulls at all.

So, brilliant weekend. Now back to sobriety, clean living and reality...

Paul

homer-lenny-carl-monster-mask-c7172_sml.JPG

Frieeeeeend????

going to pub for a bit in a bit - want to go?

andrew

Re: THREAD PULLS play Feile '93

Suicide were beyond all my surpassed expectations. Best line of the weekend from anybody came when 30 seconds into Frankie Teardrop (after a bit of "Frankie Frankie" mood setting for the harrowing tale to follow), Rev changes the tune to summat else altogether and Alan Vega sort of throws him a dirty look and says...
>
>
>
>
scroll down
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>wait for it!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>this is hilarious, i swear!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
"....looks like Frankie is alive and well!"

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

Send this to 10 people within the next hour or you will die

aoifed said:
Alright Ramps. You're way sounder than Fogo the Failed Pyro. I'll rep you to bits tomorrow when Thumped lets me again.

sh'up vinnie or i'll set fire to your precious ramps

andrew

I ended up at a totally different Pontins to you guys last weekend but I had a great time.

My own highlight had to be the Tennis Courts. Two Japanese women (one of whom was the best player I saw all weekend) who had a very tasty racket. One of those players where, after they finish, everyone runs down to the bar and buys whatever they can get their hands on. (For instance, the week old chicken burger I'm wearing on my jumper.)

The rollercoaster was, of course, utter shit but I knew that would happen and I went anyway.

The hot dog stand was as expected: I liked the relishes I normally like and I didn't like the relishes I don't like. But I'm not the hugest hot dog fan to begin with.

I must be an eejit to go to spend so much money to go to something like that and just complain to all you other fairground nerds about it as if it matters what anybody thinks about such things.

So, brilliant weekend. Now back to collecing belly button fluff, clean living and reality...

self-indulgent mess

ah tanks.

aoifed said:
Alright Ramps. You're way sounder than Fogo the Failed Pyro. I'll rep you to bits tomorrow when Thumped lets me again.

aoifed said:
24372258906_0_ALB.jpg

I :heart: ATP. Prizes for captions.
There's me and my bestest friend in the whooooole wide world, fogo. And here's one of Broken Arm (in green) possibly about to smoooke a faaaaayg

THATS ANDY??? :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back