this beggars belief (2 Viewers)

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]About 10,000 years ago, the last Ice Age came to an end. As the climate improved, animals and plants moved back into Ireland across the land bridges which connected this country to Britain and Britain to Continental Europe. The gradual rise in sea level as more and more of the ice caps melted eventually submerged these land connections but not for the indigenous plant and animal species present today had recolonized the country. By examination of fossilized pollen grains trapped in lake muds and in bogs, it is possible to build up a picture of how the vegetation developed as the climate improved.

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]From a tundra-like vegetation, similar to that in Lapland or Northern Canada today, the f[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]irst response of the flora to warming was the development of rich meadows of grass. These were quickly invaded by juniper and juniper scrub soon took over. About 9,500 years ago, willows began to overshadow the junipers and these in turn gave way to birch trees. Gradually, Hazel and pine began to appear and to shade out these earlier pioneer tree species. Hazel, in its turn, was replaced by Oak and Elm on the richer soils while Pine retained its foothold on the poorer sandy soil. The development of the high forest of Oak and Elm brought about a relatively stable condition which was to last from about 8,500 years ago to 7,000 years ago. For this period, therefore, Ireland was covered by endless sheets of trees, broken only by the waters of lakes and river channels.[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]

About 7,000 years ago, the climate became wetter and this allowed Alder to form fen-woods on the damper soils. Thus the forest mosaic was made of Alder woods on the wetter soils, Oak and Elm forests on the better, drier soils and Birch and Pine holding their own on the upper lands. About 5,000 years ago, there is evidence in the fossil records of a sudden decrease in Elm pollen. This suggests a severe attack by disease, similar to the Dutch Elm disease outbreak of recent years. Around this time also, Neolithic farmers started to reach Ireland and with their polished stones axes, opened up clearings in the forests to grow cereals and grass for their cattle. The exploitation of the woodlands had started!
[/FONT]
http://www.irishoakforests.com/ancient.htm

i was trying to make a big ol post about ireland's history of trees but i gave up....here's as far as i got

tundra
NWI1301.jpg

meadow
4844394356_94a0341964.jpg

juniper
juniper.jpg

willows
WillowsOnTheWater.jpg

hazel
452px-Coppice1.JPG
DSC06650.JPG
image_document

pine
3602077806_e005a05e89.jpg
HPIM5389.JPG

oak
tree-oak-08.JPG

I agree wholeheartedly with Ann Post though, the alternative is way way way way way way worse for the most part.
the alternative mentioned is hardly a realistic alternative for our uplands though.
coillte have FSC accreditation, despite supposedly flouting the rules of the FSC repeatedly.

there was also massive damage done in the postwar years when forestry agencies set about 'improving' native woodland to make them more profitable and harvestable. if i remember correctly (and this includes the UK), there was more native woodland lost in the 20th century than there was in the previous four centuries.

you'd think coillte would be leveraging the fact that they own massive amounts of unpopulated upland to sell/lease/use themselves for wind generation. they'd probably make more out of that than they would out of shit trees.

http://www.sovereignindependent.com/?p=13434

"In January of 2010, none other than Mr Bertie Ahern was appointed Chair of the IFF. In this position he has enjoyed an all expenses paid trip to China to meet up with a Chinese Corporation interested in buying ‘natural resources’, at low prices of course. I suppose seeing that the Chinese have all these dollars looking not so secure as the worlds reserve currency, maybe they will pay in dollars?, just in case it tanks sometime soon!"

yep,im gonna e mail all the lads/lassies running in my area

finally got around to this (well,12 of 14,one had no e mail address but a phone number so ill text that,the other had absolutely no contact details and seems to be an angry crank,we need more of them in politics)
anyway,it shall be interesting to see what if any replies i get.

"Thank you for your email in relation to my position is on the sale of all, or part of Coillte.

I have consulted with our Fine Gael Spokesperson in this regard, and I have been assured that it is Fine Gael policy not to sell Coillte, or any other State assets, but to look at possible ways of auctioning the harvesting. Fine Gael would never envisage selling the land.

Our 'New Era' policy, which is accessible on the Fine Gael website, outlines the Party policy in this regard.

Kind regards.

Yours sincerely,

Seán Barrett TD
"

"We published our Manifesto last Friday. You can see our policy in relation to the sale of State assets on Pg 9 - The Green Party is strongly opposed to a fire sale of state assets. Important land based assets such as woodlands and forests should remain in public hands.

Best Regards

Ciarán

--
Ciarán Cuffe, Green Party TD for Dún Laoghaire"

so fg and the greens oppose it (for now anyway),one other reply so far from an independent,obviously a busy man

"I agree with your stance.

Regards

Nick"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back