Things I should have known before now... (3 Viewers)

Wait a minute...Independence Day is War of The Worlds..'.virus' and all

I don't think a penny has ever taken so long to drop

This is probably as good a place as any..

I'm adding an extension and putting a plug on a lamp with a 2 core flex and wiring it to the mains using a 3 core flex

Can I just snip off the yellow/green wire (ground) at the plug end?

Or will this cause death and fiery calamity?

I don't know...it just seemed to me that if there are only two wires at the lamp end it should be two wires at the plug end?

headline later...housefire in leixlip,, one death by electrocution

social media to blame says local TD

hooray!!:D

Off to embarrass myself by asking the squeaky voiced teen in B&Q for one those doo-hickeys for splicing two bits of flex together

I need to re-think my plan her...I think I'm over-complicating things

B&Q man looked a bit worried when I told him of my plans

It's not a ghost turning on my sink.
It's that I have no water, thinking the tap is off (when it's really on) and when the water comes back on it's on full blast.
I feel better about this, however why don't I have cold water but I have hot water?
No problem with water in the bathroom, it's just the kitchen sink.
DIY is for beards not birds.*

*Well, not this bird who is annoyed that her laundry is half done (wet and soapy) and then stopped.

It's not a ghost turning on my sink.
It's that I have no water, thinking the tap is off (when it's really on) and when the water comes back on it's on full blast.
I feel better about this, however why don't I have cold water but I have hot water?
No problem with water in the bathroom, it's just the kitchen sink.
DIY is for beards not birds.*

*Well, not this bird who is annoyed that her laundry is half done (wet and soapy) and then stopped.

So it's your kitchen sink and washing machine that's fucked ? Are you in a flat or a house ?

So it's your kitchen sink and washing machine that's fucked ? Are you in a flat or a house ?

Second floor flat.
Bathroom cold and hot work, shower, toilet and sink a-ok.
Kitchen hot water works but cold doesn't.
Dishwasher and washing machine (on either side of kitchen sink) are getting no water apart from when the 'ghost' turns it on. :/

Second floor flat.
Bathroom cold and hot work, shower, toilet and sink a-ok.
Kitchen hot water works but cold doesn't.
Dishwasher and washing machine (on either side of kitchen sink) are getting no water apart from when the 'ghost' turns it on. :/

Typically your cold water in your kitchen comes from a separate set of pipes, Like this

imgres

indirect-water-system2.gif

So your hot water in the kitchen is fed of a different line. It sounds like a pressure problem, if the water is coming in dribs and drabs. If your neighbours are having problems then you need a plumber.

Of course there's always the "air in the pipes" scenario, So if you have access to your flats water mains. Just means turn off your cold water at the mains turn on your cold tap and let whatever's in there drain out then turn the water main back on again. and slowly run your tap then gradually turn it up.

It's like broadband in a way.

It's the last option here, I've never heard the first one seems overly complicated

http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/plumbing/air-lock-in-pipework.html

I've never heard this method before but it sounds equally plausible

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060918030435AA3YmYp

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back