The WTF Thread (11 Viewers)

Would-be assassin John Hinkley sings

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reading about hobbies, and these stats about grouse shooting in the UK jumped out
Wild stuff

Hobbies shape a nation. For proof, drive to Bransdale, a grouse-shooting estate on the North York Moors. Providing a home for red grouse, a fast plump bird that is hard to shoot, requires a landscape as artificial as any garden. Controlled burning creates a mix of young and old heather, giving the bird something to eat and somewhere to live respectively; potential predators such as stoats are removed by skilled full-time gamekeepers. It is beautiful, barren and familiar.
Grouse shooting sculpts the British countryside. About 7% of British land is given over to the sport. In Scotland, roughly 15% of the country is grouse moor. At 16,000 acres, Bransdale is the same size as Bradford, England’s tenth-biggest city. Considering the 12,500 or so people who do it each year could fit inside the ground of Oxford United, who play in the third tier of English football, it is a remarkable footprint. A niche pastime gives the country’s uplands their unique look.

are those figures specifically for grouse? i would have thought pheasant hunting would be much more popular. though maybe that's less concentrated in specific areas.

While I don't think it's much more than jerk off for rich people, i do wonder how close the habitats are to grouse habitats in the first place - like if one game keeper is striimming a bit of heather and snaring a few predators, like say in comparison to golf where acres and acres of land pretty much anywhere have to be turned into machair type habitats is it really 'shaping' the nation or just making a few minor tweaks on what exists.

Chris Packham has things to say about this

Land, in SE England anyway, is very managed. You can see it and feels very soulless. Even if you see a 300 year old oak tree, you know some lord decreed it be there once upon a time.
Of course land where I grew up is all very geared towards beef and turf and trees*, but it seems to be done in a more ramshackle way, that makes it feel wilder.

*Not the pine tree plantations though, they're fucked.

I'm with that guy I've never heard of
Really? He does a show called nature watch. Literally they'll stick a camera on a badger sett or something and then go "oh look, badgers". Wholesome af. He's also good at talking about autism. He clearly likes animals more than humans,and is therefore a good person.

he's a punk too.

also used to get loads of song lyrics and titles into springwatch. he'd pick a particular band each season; apparently they once squeezed 'killing an arab' into the show.

he's a punk too.

also used to get loads of song lyrics and titles into springwatch. he'd pick a particular band each season; apparently they once squeezed 'killing an arab' into the show.

Really? He does a show called nature watch. Literally they'll stick a camera on a badger sett or something and then go "oh look, badgers". Wholesome af. He's also good at talking about autism. He clearly likes animals more than humans,and is therefore a good person.
I don't watch a lot of television, just the news the odd time

Mainly download stuff I want to watch
It's not ideal

The final episode of the latest big budget series about life - which he presents - aired tonight. Almost like he's being set up as the next Attenborough, but he's a lot more pointed about wildlife loss and climate change than Attenborough.

The final episode of the latest big budget series about life - which he presents - aired tonight. Almost like he's being set up as the next Attenborough, but he's a lot more pointed about wildlife loss and climate change than Attenborough.
That's what I was thinking earlier - when Attenborough kicks the bucket, he'll be the next go to guy

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back