The Thumped Motoring Forum (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 92K
  • Watchers 10
this has somehow gotten into the news this morning, but has been in planning for months.
and they confirmed a few months ago that a driver would still need to call into the station to submit a statement, which kinda removes the convenience of an online submission.

from september:

I was wrong - so backed up and looked again - dug out the starter motor and it was questionable enough but working without having a load on it - spun it up unloaded for a bit and then refitted it and for the first time the car actually attempted turning over - that starter motor is collapsing though and it didn't have the guts on the 11.5v left in the battery to get the thing running.
Recharging the battery now to see if I can get it to fire on that dying starter motor and gonna source one on tueseday if i'm happy with the diagnosis.

It's cycling weather anywhooo

I have now succesfully fixed it myself.

I have now succesfully fixed it myself.

Just had a chance to run the diagnostics on it (after driving it for about 4 hours last night).

no faults at all.

All in 77eu spent on parts
about 40 on an entry level socket set which i should have bought before i started - though I'm on the fence wether tools count in this case - kinda a bit from both columns sorta expense. Multimeter, socket set, torque extension bar, a few oil rags and wd40 were the core team on this.

I'm not sure what a garage cost would be but considering it stopped working outside the house it was either gonna be a callout or a tow - so I'm guessing 2-300 woulda been the get a man in bill.
If i didn't have a bike and plenty of commuting by bike experience it wouldn't have been possible.
On the downside all in I'd say ten hours was spent on it - lots of learning and what not took up most of that.
On the upside through diagnosing, misdiagonsing and having to dig out the dashboard at one point, I know and awful lot about that particular car's workings now. had to take the air cleaner on/off five times now so that's a service i'll do for the rest of my life myself, oil changes will be DIY from here on too. I suspect there's 250eu more i'll add on in tools over the next month or two.
Other upside is while the dash was off I pre-fitted the mic for the hands free stereo from one of my old cars so there's gonna be a sound upgrade soon enough.

Just had a chance to run the diagnostics on it (after driving it for about 4 hours last night).

no faults at all.

All in 77eu spent on parts
about 40 on an entry level socket set which i should have bought before i started - though I'm on the fence wether tools count in this case - kinda a bit from both columns sorta expense. Multimeter, socket set, torque extension bar, a few oil rags and wd40 were the core team on this.

I'm not sure what a garage cost would be but considering it stopped working outside the house it was either gonna be a callout or a tow - so I'm guessing 2-300 woulda been the get a man in bill.
If i didn't have a bike and plenty of commuting by bike experience it wouldn't have been possible.
On the downside all in I'd say ten hours was spent on it - lots of learning and what not took up most of that.
On the upside through diagnosing, misdiagonsing and having to dig out the dashboard at one point, I know and awful lot about that particular car's workings now. had to take the air cleaner on/off five times now so that's a service i'll do for the rest of my life myself, oil changes will be DIY from here on too. I suspect there's 250eu more i'll add on in tools over the next month or two.
Other upside is while the dash was off I pre-fitted the mic for the hands free stereo from one of my old cars so there's gonna be a sound upgrade soon enough.

Oh that's a hasslin

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back