• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 88K
  • Watchers 10
I really really want a nice car
Thinking Mercedes E350 Kombi or a LandCruiser
Used of course. Like 20k price range.

But I only need one for long journeys which are at the very best, once every 6 weeks

So I can't justify it financially
And justifying it because of my fucking ego seems beyond dumb.
But I'm 53, how many years should I deny myself things I just plain ol' want?

Probably won't do it. 20 grand is still 20 fricking grand.

I really really want a nice car
Thinking Mercedes E350 Kombi or a LandCruiser
Used of course. Like 20k price range.

But I only need one for long journeys which are at the very best, once every 6 weeks

So I can't justify it financially
And justifying it because of my fucking ego seems beyond dumb.
But I'm 53, how many years should I deny myself things I just plain ol' want?

Probably won't do it. 20 grand is still 20 fricking grand.
Get an EV you monster.

Model 3 long range claims 600km. Plenty more out there in that ballpark.
Fair enough
My roundtrip if I don't fuck around is 563km, so that could squeeze in

I just don't have Tesla (or any new EV) money though

And I love these yokes more than I could love a Tesla

1696423801229.png

Maybe when a Volvo EV becomes affordable.....

Fair enough
My roundtrip if I don't fuck around is 563km, so that could squeeze in

I just don't have Tesla (or any new EV) money though

And I love these yokes more than I could love a Tesla

View attachment 17713

Maybe when a Volvo EV becomes affordable.....
You know you can charge them on the way yeah?

why would you want a landcruiser?
Because they're beautiful and iconic and they can fit all my shit in them - camping gear, hiking gear, bikes etc.

And I can lay the seats down and nap in the back on a long journey

And the engines are basically bullet proof and will last forever

But mostly because they are beautiful and indestructible at the same time

just checked hertz. €360 for hiring a volvo XC90 for 24 hours, for one day next week. if you only need the car once every six weeks, you're looking at ~3k a year to hire instead of buy (if that return trip is done within 24 hours)
(also assumes it's €360 a day all year round)

Whatever 10-15% of your income is should be you car budget - if you are going over that you have to consider it to be a self indulgence spend, which should be almost 10-15% - or more accurately every time you go over the car budget, you reduce your fun stuff you like budget accordingly, or you trim if off housing / food / clothes.

I find looking at the cold hard maths is surefire way to stop me thinking about anything that isn't a prius at the minute*.

i.e I have to drive about 560km every second weekend to deal with the parents.
A landcruiser would double my annual fuel bill, add a few hundred on tax, insurance and the cost of the fucking tires would get you a small car - servicing would probably be about 30% more money.

So it* looks like insanity to me essentially. *any car that isn't 100% functional.

Wants / Needs / SWOT analysis for the most expensive thing you'll ever buy.

*actually the maths tells me I should get an aygo - coming in around 35eu a week less to run than the current one - however all online guides tell me it's not for adults in the back seat so stuck I'm on prius now, which is about 25eu less per week to run than the current.

Whatever 10-15% of your income is should be you car budget - if you are going over that you have to consider it to be a self indulgence spend, which should be almost 10-15% - or more accurately every time you go over the car budget, you reduce your fun stuff you like budget accordingly, or you trim if off housing / food / clothes.

I find looking at the cold hard maths is surefire way to stop me thinking about anything that isn't a prius at the minute*.

i.e I have to drive about 560km every second weekend to deal with the parents.
A landcruiser would double my annual fuel bill, add a few hundred on tax, insurance and the cost of the fucking tires would get you a small car - servicing would probably be about 30% more money.

So it* looks like insanity to me essentially. *any car that isn't 100% functional.

Wants / Needs / SWOT analysis for the most expensive thing you'll ever buy.

*actually the maths tells me I should get an aygo - coming in around 35eu a week less to run than the current one - however all online guides tell me it's not for adults in the back seat so stuck I'm on prius now, which is about 25eu less per week to run than the current.
I love these analyses

Do you know, is the 10-15% based on net or gross income?

I love these analyses

Do you know, is the 10-15% based on net or gross income?

I don't know - I just looked up loads of diffrernt online advice things ages ago and they nearly all put transport in 10-15%. I suspect it'd be half of column a and half column b if some of your medical / insurance is through work

1696433972649.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back