The Thumped Motoring Forum (4 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 88K
  • Watchers 10
just saw a video on twitter where a train hits a large merc SUV that a possibly confused woman has left with the arse sitting over a level crossing. thankfully, the woman survived, and it's a statement to the engineers that a car can get hit by a train doing quite a bit of speed and the occupants emerge relatively unhurt.

not going to comment on or ask this on twitter, but why have we reached a point where a car can be hit by a train and survive that well? has the escalating need for cars to be safe brought us to that point?

late night nct retest… here’s hoping the “well it’s this or we replace the rear axle” fix worked…

CVRT is due on Monday and my girlfriend just backed my van into another car, breaking the fog light.

Had to cancel the test

It could be worse though, the car she backed into was her own, straight off the showroom floor brand new car. Ouch.

What’s the story with getting a charger installed for an electric car? We were looking at getting a car second hand - are there any schemes/grants for this? Or even a recommendation for who to approach for installation?

What’s the story with getting a charger installed for an electric car? We were looking at getting a car second hand - are there any schemes/grants for this? Or even a recommendation for who to approach for installation?

Don't pay more than €600 out of your own pocket. There's a grant for them but dont get a company that just adds it to their own install price

looking at options for replacing the car; a PHEV is probably a good middle ground; not sure if full electric makes sense. but i hate SUVs, and most PHEVs seem to be SUV form factor.
i guess trying to be a compromise between ICE and EV makes for bigger cars.

(we may look into solar panels, hence the preference of PHEV over HEV).

though i do see skoda now have a PHEV version of the octavia. i've a petrol one which weighs in at 1,350kg. the new PHEV version is over 2,000kg!

check out the MG4

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just as an example, Howth to Clifden is about 300km. Realistically it's unlikely you'd make it all that way on one charge at motorway speeds in the cheapest MG4, but there are at least a dozen charger locations on the route google maps just picked for me, and you're going to be stopping anyway...

Last edited:
The taxi drivers are moving to mg's in this area which suggests to me they are not shit. Like when all the taxis became priuses overnight.

I've not looked closely at the economics but if you are talking about a few times in the summer would all electric with an allowance to rent furnace based vehicle once in a while be an economic winner?

The taxi drivers are moving to mg's in this area which suggests to me they are not shit. Like when all the taxis became priuses overnight.

I've not looked closely at the economics but if you are talking about a few times in the summer would all electric with an allowance to rent furnace based vehicle once in a while be an economic winner?
one thing i've been discussing with my father would be to swap cars on those occasions. though i don't like his car, primarily because the view through the rear windscreen is like looking through a letterbox.

one thing i've been discussing with my father would be to swap cars on those occasions.

I've been looking at similar with UTM - but you want to hear the rants he has about electric vehicles. He thinks he'll be pushing it home from the shop 3 km away.

I'm locked into service runs to from galway to donegal every two weeks for a long time now (that is with several tool boxes and whatnot) and now the old leafs are coming into my price range theres a bit of an argument emerging for me owning two cars. Requires further study.

looking at options for replacing the car; a PHEV is probably a good middle ground; not sure if full electric makes sense. but i hate SUVs, and most PHEVs seem to be SUV form factor.
i guess trying to be a compromise between ICE and EV makes for bigger cars.

(we may look into solar panels, hence the preference of PHEV over HEV).

though i do see skoda now have a PHEV version of the octavia. i've a petrol one which weighs in at 1,350kg. the new PHEV version is over 2,000kg!

Toyota Prius or any of their hybrids

i assumed the MGs were all pure battery EVs? usual issue that we occasionally head out west and range anxiety would kick in.

Range anxiety is bollox. I convinced it's big oil looking to convince people it's something to worry about
All that's required over ICE cars is to plan where you stop in advance of departure.
as opposed to 'I need to stop at the next petrol station'. Takes 5 minutes to figure out where you're most likely to top up your battery

I'm sure everyone is different but mostly on that long run I do i'd take a driving break around the 2 hr mark. Go for piss, eat something, start a fight on thumped what not. It's at most twice a year i'll do the 4 hrs without stopping and there needs to a be reason.

Pulled up beside a taxi driver at some traffic lights earlier and got him to roll his window down so I could do my best helpful voice “hey I think there’s something wrong with your indicators!?”

Fucker had been weaving between lanes without a care in the world. Nearly caused a crash with at least one other car that was attempting to change lanes *properly*.

i had someone repeatedly brake test me recently, and swerve twice to avoid me overtaking. i often pass through the junction below, and frequently people continuing on in the right hand lane drift into the middle lane; some dozy lad did it while alongside me, came within a foot or two of me. i hit the brakes and blew the horn, so he ended up in front of me. he clearly had the scorp, he started brake testing me and when i changed lane to get past, he started swerving across the road to prevent it.

you can actually see it happening in the shot here - i suspect the lad in the dark insignia is sitting where he is because the driver of the min-SUV is doing precisely the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back