The Social Network (3 Viewers)

I disagree with that. Yer mans bird (the one at the start) was a deadly character.

True but she was hardly in it, another thing to dislike about the film. Zuckerburg was just a massive bore although it's hard to know if that's what he's really like, it seems that Aaron Sorkin has taken quite a bit of dramatic licence with the characters and parts of the story.

Anyone know the movie star the twins referred to when in the Harvard president's office? I'm reckoning its yer one Portman out of Star Wars.

T'was indeed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1285016/trivia?tr1316984

During one of the depositions, it is mentioned that the invention of Facebook made Mark Zuckerburg "the biggest thing on a campus that included nineteen Nobel Laureates, fifteen Pulitzer Prize winners, two future Olympians, and a movie star." One of the lawyers then asks, "Who was the movie star?" and the response is, "Does it matter?" This movie star was, in fact, Natalie Portman, who was enrolled at Harvard from 1999 to 2003 and helped screenwriter Aaron Sorkin by providing him insider information about goings-on at Harvard at the time Facebook first appeared there.

Zuckerburg was just a massive bore although it's hard to know if that's what he's really like, it seems that Aaron Sorkin has taken quite a bit of dramatic licence with the characters and parts of the story.

He probably did. The point I was making is that he caught the character (the stereotypical computer nerd who has 1s and 0s coming out their hole, but who can barely tie their laces) perfectly. He was boring, but it was a near perfect depiction of people I've met in the industry down the years. The not smiling, the being a social retard, the clothes, the clumsy things he said, the computer-related dialog (for example, near the start when he was hacking together the photo comparison site - he talked about not giving girls rating, but more taking a 'Turing' approach - no one normal talks like that - brilliant).

T'was indeed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1285016/trivia?tr1316984

During one of the depositions, it is mentioned that the invention of Facebook made Mark Zuckerburg "the biggest thing on a campus that included nineteen Nobel Laureates, fifteen Pulitzer Prize winners, two future Olympians, and a movie star." One of the lawyers then asks, "Who was the movie star?" and the response is, "Does it matter?" This movie star was, in fact, Natalie Portman, who was enrolled at Harvard from 1999 to 2003 and helped screenwriter Aaron Sorkin by providing him insider information about goings-on at Harvard at the time Facebook first appeared there.

excellent. Cheers for that.

actually, another interesting thing about Zuckerberg going to Harvard - you'd wonder, he being a supposed genius (cos lets face it, theres nothing genius about facebook whatsoever - a mere rehash of things that were already out there - facebook was more about luck than anything else in my opinion), why he'd go to Harvard when its not really reknowned for its computer courses. It produces top lawyers and politicians, but is nothing special when it comes to the 'puters.

Zuckerberg is a lucky rich-kid, but I suspect, he ain't no genius.

I wonder if Natalie Portman gave any behind the scenes input when they were making Legally Blonde!

I disagree with that. Yer mans bird (the one at the start) was a deadly character.

Plus, Zuckerberg himself was (in my view) likeable. If you work in that industry you'll immediately relate to him. Someone very brilliant in one way, but a total fool (though not out of badness) when it comes to common sense and life in general.

I loved this film. I was over there quite a bit around that time (around Palo Alto), and though this film was set after all the craziness of the dot-com boom, there was a lot of shit like that happening (little house-based startups) in the vicinity of Stanford.

Anyone know the movie star the twins referred to when in the Harvard president's office? I'm reckoning its yer one Portman out of Star Wars.

She was in Harvard from 1999-2003 according to the wiki, but it'd be easy enough to fudge that detail to make for a good line of dialogue.

excellent. Cheers for that.

actually, another interesting thing about Zuckerberg going to Harvard - you'd wonder, he being a supposed genius (cos lets face it, theres nothing genius about facebook whatsoever - a mere rehash of things that were already out there - facebook was more about luck than anything else in my opinion), why he'd go to Harvard when its not really reknowned for its computer courses. It produces top lawyers and politicians, but is nothing special when it comes to the 'puters.

Zuckerberg is a lucky rich-kid, but I suspect, he ain't no genius.

MIT would be the place to go in New England for the clever geeks right?

for technical courses, yes. Though MIT is more engineering it'd deffo be better recognised for computer qualifications than Harvard would be.

Yeh but there's that whole theme in the film about how he's extremely interested in being accepted by the Finishing Clubs, the establishment, etc, which would explain going to Harvard.

Yeh but there's that whole theme in the film about how he's extremely interested in being accepted by the Finishing Clubs, the establishment, etc, which would explain going to Harvard.

Well that's the motivation of the character Mark Zuckerberg in some film. Whether or not it was the motivation for the real person is another thing.

(shite, typed out a reply and it got deleted - pox)

you're not missing anything. Harvard and MIT are very near each other. Literally only a couple of miles. Both just outside Boston (both in Cambridge)

New England isn't a state in itself. Its a collection of (I think) 3 states - Connecticut, Vermont and New Hampshire (could have that wrong)

(shite, typed out a reply and it got deleted - pox)

you're not missing anything. Harvard and MIT are very near each other. Literally only a couple of miles. Both just outside Boston (both in Cambridge)

New England isn't a state in itself. Its a collection of (I think) 3 states - Connecticut, Vermont and New Hampshire (could have that wrong)

New England is Massachussets, Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Connecticut.

I have no idea what either MIT or Harvard are actually like but they're both prestigious as fuck and I'm sure Harvard's Computer Science department is probably not that shabby, even in comparison to MIT.

Let's face it, Harvard is no DCU when it comes to computer science.

I thought this was pretty great, by the way. I agree with scutter, the Zuckerberg character was completely believable and familiar. Never had that Napster guy pegged for the kind of buck he's portrayed as in the movie, though. Didn't really know much about him in advance though.

New England is Massachussets, Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Connecticut.

Dum de dum de dum dummalum dum, oh New England
Dum de dum de dum dummalum dum, oh-oh New England!

jonathan-richman-101.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back