the shining (1 Viewer)

stayed up late all on my ownsome to watch it on tg4 last night. nearly wetted my pjs. the music is unreal. the chanty choral bit at the end especially. mammy!

i'd never seen it before. it's a brilliant movie.

the music is cool, but i don't think it was ever released officially on cd.

nEiLo said:

It's definitely available, though i've only ever seen copies of it on vinyl. I don't think it's that difficult to get hold of.

nEiLo said:

ah shit
didnt know it was on last night, its one of my favourite films

its worth picking up the dvd for the making of documentary
lots of cool stuff like jack nicholson getting himself ready for the door smashing scene
and stanley kubrick fucking with shelley duvalls head

bela bartok is the fuckin jam.
Errhhhhhh! ERhhhhh!
that film is rad. wassup with the guy in the dog costume?
wassup with that?!

andrew

This is probably better than the Shinning:

6304680708.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

TESTAROSSA said:
that film is rad. wassup with the guy in the dog costume?
wassup with that?!

andrew

you beat me to it mo fo!

best bit= the chef makes his way back up to the Overlook for half of the film. five seconds after arriving jack jumps out of the shadows and hits him in the chest with an axe. totally fucked up!

It really wasn't worth watching last night (although I did anyway), they showed the "cut to ribbons" version. I kept thinking I'd momentarily fallen asleep and missed out on bits, but they were just cut out. Not for censorship reasons or anything, just to keep the running time down. TG4 must be a bit short of cash to be buying up 15 year old cuts of movies....

I've seen the soundtrack on vinyl a couple of times. Remember that market that used to be adjacent to Stephens Green Centre, but on the opposite side of Stephens Green? Can't remember what the street name is. Anyway, there was a guy there with a cool record stall, who sold loads of old soundtracks on vinyl. He had quite a few original Kubricks, 2001, Shining, Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket etc. I meant to get them all, but in the end the only one I bought was the original Lolita one, which is pretty funky in a 50's kinda way....

If you like the music in The Shing though check out all Penderecki, Bartok and Ligeti...it's all that good!

Attachments

• shining_lowres.jpg
    shining_lowres.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 186
although it sounds nothing like the shining soundtrack, billyses total non input into this thread reminded me of how amazing the Forbidden Planet soundtrack by Louis and Bebe Barron is. cop that shit if you ever see it around.

andrew

Igor said:
By bad luck I have just about every other Ligeti piece except the one used in the soundtrack - Lontano - though I could prob get it. Will do you a cd of similar ligeti stuff if ya want...pm me.

also look here...http://www.drummerman.net/shining/music.html:)
saw a performance of a ligetti piece - continuum (i think) - in the NCH one time - it was incredible.

nEiLo said:
saw a performance of a ligetti piece - continuum (i think) - in the NCH one time - it was incredible.
Continuum is the crazyfast harpsichord piece, blurred fingers ahoy in a cartoon stylee, I saw that too...genius!

They did lontano there about 6mnths ago, spine tingling stuff, some points of it were so quiet it felt like being pulled into an aural black hole:eek:...nice!

I've seen the Shining a ridiculous amount of times, and every time, I still get freaked out, every time I see it.

Way better than yr 'Suspiria' or whatever.

danny.jpg

That kid is a science teacher or something now. Fuck that.

THRILLHO said:
I've seen the Shining a ridiculous amount of times, and every time, I still get freaked out, every time I see it.

Way better than yr 'Suspiria' or whatever.

danny.jpg

That kid is a science teacher or something now. Fuck that.

What yr all forgettin' is that the Shining is EASILY Kubricks worst film and simultaneously the most over-rated Horror Film of them all. Gimme Night of the Living Dead/TCM etc anyday.

yeah and you can fuck off with your Suspiria shit-talking. that movie practically invented the colour red.

better soundtrack: suspiria or shining?!

andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back